Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #331
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dki View Post
Well, you might even get me to rethink my decision... I think your photos looked a bit like mine. How did you package this thing? My worry is that even if I don't have a broken screen now, by the time it gets to France it will be broken, and, obviously, I won't be able to prove that it happened in transit. I do have an original box, but it is way too flimsy. There was some stuffing, I think (don' remember now, I was way too excited to be getting my new Cybook to be paying attention to the packaging).
Anyhow, using USPS is a bit risky, but this thing is useless anyhow. BTW, who paid for shipment of the new device to you? And since it was a warranty, is Bookeen refunding shipment costs?
I used the original box and just put some packing material on top to keep it in place. In the RMA they say you can use the original box. I took a photograph of the Cybook in the box and I sent it insured so if the package disappear I will be reimbursed. It cost $25 to send it from Sweden insured. I still do not know if the package arived OK...

If you are in EU and the problem is covered by EU regulations Bookeen should pay for your postage cost but nobody have reported that they have done that. If you are outside EU it is the condition of the warranty the Bookeen is giving that dermine who pay postage.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #332
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
Unfortunately I do not have an original white box, I don't store that stuff forever, just the Cybook flimsy box. However, I already went out and gotten a good cardboard box from Staples, and an excellent plastic snap box, that fits Cybook that was put in a bubble mailer and wrapped in some bubble wrap over that. Actually, that snap box could have served well as additional cover for Cybook, preventing any twisting, as it is quite sturdy - I happened upon it totally by chance looking for packaging, and as it was $1.79 I got it. That is in a cardboard box stuffed with those springy paper thingies (in case peanuts create static damage, who knows). I did not include any accessories, or cards (actually card was taken out to be used on my Axim, as most books were html and Mobi formats), even the cover stays. I will go to the post office tomorrow and will see what happens. I hope I will not have to use a special International Priority box, as I already wrapped that thing up tight as it is. It's swaddled in shipping tape and unpacking it now would be a job of itself. My Post Office is friendly, though, so I am sure they can work with what I have .

Other than that I will keep my fingers crossed, although I still don't have much hope. As I kind of became less upset about it over the time, I began to feel curious about that invisible fracture thing. I think I won't have it fixed if Bookeen claims screen fracture. That would just not pay. However, I will ask them to send me a photo of the screen with a fracture and compare it to the photos and scans I have of it now. As I am not in EU, but in US, I don't know if Bookeen will pay for shipping if the repairs are covered under warranty (I mean reimburse me for shipping), but I will first find out if an invisible fracture still qualifies as a fracture.

Thank you all for the help and words of hope . I will let you know what happens as soon as it happens.

Dorota

Last edited by dki; 10-29-2008 at 05:32 PM.
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #333
zed01
zed01 began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook gen3
Just provide you guys the ending of the story:
I sent back my e-book, and I got the official verdict that it has been broken.
So I've perked out the 120 EUR + shipping 15.4 EUR
A new e-book was sent back only in 2 days.
Not the old one with new screen - as I expected as repair - but a brand new one. Also the firmware is brand new: v.1.2 build 802.
zed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #334
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for this imput, zed. This might be important to me - if my Cybook will be deemed broken (which I don't understand happening), I might still pay for a repair if that gets me a new one, and quick... Still am not sure, 'cause I almost am up for a new Sony with my rewards points... Och, I'll decide when time comes. But thanks a lot for that info.

Dorota
Old 11-04-2008, 02:44 AM   #335
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks for this imput, zed. This might be important to me - if my Cybook will be deemed broken (which I don't understand happening), I might still pay for a repair if that gets me a new one, and quick... Still am not sure, 'cause I almost am up for a new Sony with my rewards points... Och, I'll decide when time comes. But thanks a lot for that info.

Dorota
I thought you said that you weren't going to have it repaired because you feel that it has a design flaw, hence was certain to break again, and besides which it's French, and you hate French products and would never buy another one again?

... or did I misunderstand you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 AM   #336
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I was looking at a thread on the Sony. Eleven people have mysterious broken screens and 2 people claim to have accidentally broken the screens. I think it was about 70 people who are still happy with the screens.

This rubbishes my belief that the problem with breaking screens is caused by the Cybook having an insufficiently rigid chassis and also that it is caused by being French.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 AM   #337
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I thought you said that you weren't going to have it repaired because you feel that it has a design flaw, hence was certain to break again, and besides which it's French, and you hate French products and would never buy another one again?

Harry, this is so not you

At least I prefer British humor above French
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #338
dki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Oh, it's really good of you to remind me... I don't think I shall, after all. I was in a good mood, and already over the Cybook disaster (also, stupidly hoping maybe the new one could be better?), and you brought me down to earth. I have to say, if not you, significant other would, for sure. I still would not buy a french car. I am still curious, though, to have them take photos of the screen that actually show the fracture. That, I will insist upon.

BTW, Harry, have you thought that I may choose to have this piece of french technology replaced just to sell it to the highest bidder (one without my experience with Cybook) and have the most return on my hard-earned $$? I am ENTITLED to have it FIXED (not to buy a new one, which I would never do), and I will do what makes the most sense economically to me, or what will make Booken to spend most $$ on resolution. Even if I don't feel like touching french-tinted technology myself ever again. I do not think I owe Bookeen my money, just because they are inept and incompetent, and I think that more $$ out of their pocket, the more they will pay attention to what they are putting out for sale.

And please, Harry, keep up a good job. I tend to forget the crap I bough and buy same crap again (as I liked it in the first place), as significant other can confirm.

Dorota

Last edited by dki; 11-04-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:48 AM   #339
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And please, Harry, keep up a good job. I tend to forget the crap I bough and buy same crap again (as I liked it in the first place), as significant other can confirm.
You're very welcome. Always happy to help!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #340
zed01

still not finished

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed01 View Post
Just provide you guys the ending of the story:
I sent back my e-book, and I got the official verdict that it has been broken.
So I've perked out the 120 EUR + shipping 15.4 EUR
A new e-book was sent back only in 2 days.
Not the old one with new screen - as I expected as repair - but a brand new one. Also the firmware is brand new: v.1.2 build 802.
I wrote, that I'm providing the end of the story.
Unfortunately I've failed. It is not the end of the story. After 5 days I broke my brand new replaced cybook. (only finished 1 book on it)
I was considering whether I do want to to replace it again (and pay for it), but finally I've decided yes, one more run.
I wrote an e-mail to bookeen to the same address (support@bookeen.com) which I used in my previous action. No answer. It is my 3rd e-mail in a week period and no reaction. Quite strange as previously I received the answer in a couple of hours!
So trying to reach them on other e-mail addresses. Does anybody have a phone number by the chance?

Last edited by zed01; 11-13-2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #341
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
zed01 did the screen break this time without you knowingly do anything to it or did you break the screen?

dki the Gen3 is not French. Netronix is the company that makes it. They just brand it for Bookeen to resell under the Gen3 name.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #342
dki
Connoisseur

And I thought that that there can be a happy ending (in my case getting back a few bucks, and I don't mean getting even, I only mean maybe a $50 on the original investment - and that was almost $500). Even if I get this THING back ever - and my hopes are not high, I have not heard from French yet - how can I sell this THING in good faith (I have one taker in the office, but I don't want a lifetime enemy). I mainly did it because there is someone in my office willing to risk it. Now I can hope it will be lost in the mail and I will never hear of France again. I am not going to investigate if it's lost (USPS is not excellent, but it has a way of tracking the items, and even they have no faith in tracking once the item reaches France - obviously BAD EXPERIENCE). I have no time for this.

As far as I'm concerned, Bookeen is dead. My time and effort are non-refundable, and this is truly the last French made product (with the exception of cosmetics, maybe, I am not going to really check the maker of my shampoo or perfume that carefully), that I bought.

I would really appreciate HarryT comments on that one, am I missing something???? Old English Humor??? Better that French (obviously)??

Dorota
Old 11-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #343
zed01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
zed01 did the screen break this time without you knowingly do anything to it or did you break the screen?
this time seems a bit more clear what happened: I put the e-book into my backpack together with my laptop, and a paperback book. the laptop was in its crumpler skin the e-book in its 'protective cover' by bookeen.
I walked and took the ride on tube from my workplace to home. the screen broke during this 1 hour travel.
the only solids tuff was the power adaptor of the laptop, which may pressed against the e-book. at least it is my guess.

the protective cover has 3 major flaws:
1. seemingly it does not hold against any pressure
2. if you hold in wrong direction the book tends to slip out
3. you can only flip the cover by force to the back

ps one more day passed and still no reply from bookeen. do they closed because of economic crisis? I do not know any weeklong holiday in France.

Last edited by zed01; 11-14-2008 at 04:32 AM. Reason: details added, grammar corrected
Old 11-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #344
dki
Connoisseur

I have not had a word from them, either. I guess it's goodbye Cybook (I doubt if French Postal Service is any better than Bookeen's customer service, so the two combined makes it a lost case, I'm sure Post Office delivered but Cybook did not receive it, the end of the story).

Cybook's protective cover is not protective at all. And it ain't pretty, either, so that was $50.00 right out of the window - ugly and useless thing.

At this point I guess it would be an excellent thing if Bookeen went out of business because of the crisis - but I think it's the combination of the French Postal Service and Bookeen's competence and good organization that is going to cost me $500. Hopefully though, with this sort of product and service, they will be out of business real soon.

Dorota

Last edited by dki; 11-15-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:06 AM   #345
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
At this point I guess it would be an excellent thing if Bookeen went out of business because of the crisis - but I think it's the combination of the French Postal Service and Bookeen's competence and good organization that is going to cost me $500. Hopefully though, with this sort of product and service, they will be out of business real soon.

Dorota
If it's gone missing in the mail (and you can't blame Bookeen for that) can you not make a claim on the mail insurance? You did have insurance for mailing something that valuable, surely?

Tags
broken, cybook, screen