Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
nukito
Enthusiast
nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: non yet
looking for Japanese reader with dic

I'm looking for a Japanese Ereader.
should be able to translate from japanese to english as well.
another bonus could be translating from several languages to english.
what is my best option?
kindle or sony ?

thank you .
nukito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You probably be best off with the Japanese version of the Sony PRS-T1.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
nukito
Enthusiast
nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just check it and found that the japanese prs-t1 doesn't have built in japanese to english dic. isn't it cheaper to but the us version and just add jap - en dic ?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukito View Post
I just check it and found that the japanese prs-t1 doesn't have built in japanese to english dic. isn't it cheaper to but the us version and just add jap - en dic ?
The key thing about the Japanese version of the Sony PRS-T1 is that it's pretty much the only reader you'll find which can display Japanese correctly (ie, in vertical columns, right to left). It depends what your priority is - reading "real" Japanese books in the way that they're intended to be read, or looking up words in a dictionary.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
nukito
Enthusiast

but how can I look words in the dictionary? it doesn't have japanese - english dic anyway.
and I think looking up for words is more important for me right now because I am learning the language.
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm afraid that I don't know of any reader which has a Japanese-English dictionary. You could always use a paper dictionary, of course.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
nukito
Enthusiast

the problem is that in case you don't know how to read the word it can be very frustrating... and not all the books have furigana.
what should I do? isn't there a way to use other dictionaries after hacking sony psr-t1 or kindle?
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You can't add additional dictionaries to the Sony.

You can add dictionaries to the Kindle, and the Kindle can display Japanese text (although only left-to-right, horizontally), but Japanese publishers haven't embraced the Kindle - I don't know how many Japanese books are available for it. The Kindle store lists a number of Japanese dictionaries. How well these work, I don't know.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
nukito
Enthusiast

there is a way with coolreader for android, am I right? how well does it work?
the dictionaries for kindle doesn't work well.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
What are the formats of the Japanese books you seek to read?

I would suggest getting an android tablet. There are multiple translation dictionary apps. Though, to be honest, I'd say just get an electronic dictionary and look it up there. Then you won't be burdened by needing to switch between programs.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #11
nukito
Enthusiast

Japanese isn't that simple. If I don't know how to pronounce the word at all there is no way to use dictionary . that's way it is so important to me.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukito View Post
Japanese isn't that simple. If I don't know how to pronounce the word at all there is no way to use dictionary . that's way it is so important to me.
What does a Japanese person do if he wants to look up a completely unknown word in the dictionary? There must surely be a way to use a Japanese dictionary to look up an unknown ideograph?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:23 AM   #13
nukito
Enthusiast

of course there is a way but it takes time and I want it to be simple as possible especially because I can't look at the dictionary every 2 seconds .
Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
It appears that the Japanese model has a Japanese to Japanese dictionary however no Japanese to English... (says my daughter who is living in Japan for now).
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I was wondering a bit about such functionality myself, so I thought I would have a go. I found one way that works though it probably isn't what you are looking for.

First you need the file in html format. Probably Calibre can convert, I don't know, or just rename the .epub to .zip, extract it and find the html file that contains the text.

Then open it on the ereader (rooted) in Opera Mobile. (I have a Nook Simple Touch.)

Set up a search engine like this. Tap in the icon in the search box at top right. Go to "Manage search engines". Long tap one to edit it. Change it to http://jisho.org/lite/words?jap=+%s

Then long tap on a word in the text, adjust the selection, hit select then search (with jisho.org set as the default engine). This will bring up the definition on jisho.org.

Probably this is not any use to you, but I tried it and it worked so I thought I might as well put it up in case it was informative to anyone out there..
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote