Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
awitko
awitko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Read It Later Recipe

Read It Later seems to have a lot more features than Instapaper - including searching - and they seem to have a lot more momentum given that they are now venture backed and expanding their team.

The read it now recipe now seems to load 10 articles per page and put it in a separate directory. This arbitrary grouping a separate directory does not make sense. I would think that they should instead be in the same directory. They might optionally be grouped by tags. (If Read It Later eventually imports google reader tags, this would be a nice classification system).

If we run the recipe again, it reloads the previously loaded documents. The instapaper recipe moves the articles to archive after uploading them so that the next upload only takes new articles. Can we do the same on the read it later recipe?

Could we also implement the reverse order option (like we have for instapaper) so that the older article is first in the sequence.

Instapaper (not the recipe) has the option to send to send to kindle on a daily basis if the number of new articles is greater than X (e.g. 10 articles). I think that's a great idea to reduce the volume of uploaded documents to manage on the kindle. It would be great if the recipe counts the number of articles and if its greater than a user specified number it uploads the articles and moves all to archive. If it is less than the minimum article count, it does not upload any articles and does not move any to archive so that these can be uploaded when the minimum quantity of articles is accumulated. It might also have a time feature so that if the oldest unread (non-archived) article is at least Y days old (e.g. 7 days), (Y specified by user in recipe) it uploads the articles even if the minimum number of articles is not met so that articles don't sit there too long before being loaded into the kindle.

I was also thinking that certain read it later articles might be marked as favorites over time after they are read in the read it later service or on the kindle or other reader. It might be nice to have a second recipe that uploads only the favorites into an e-book, optionally in directories by tags. This might include archived and "unread" documents so that this is an all time favorites e-book on your kindle. It would not update the unread/archive status. The previous recipe would be a periodical of recently saved documents for deletion after reading and this recipe would create an updated e-book of all time favorites so that they are always handy on the e-reader.

Alex

Last edited by awitko; 11-02-2011 at 06:31 PM.
awitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
awitko
awitko began at the beginning.

FYI - the Orbvious Interest Chrome extension allows integration with google reader so that a single key (I use d) can send the selected article to read it later and a different hot key (I use alt-s) can be used for saving outside of google reader. Very nice.
awitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
waterboy100
waterboy100 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g
Awesome recipe. Thanks

Last edited by waterboy100; 01-01-2012 at 06:20 PM.
waterboy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
tBunnyMan
Enthusiast
tBunnyMan began at the beginning.

Device: nook Simple GlowLight
I am currently rewriting the RIL plugin and I wanted a lot of the same features!

So far I have added the following features, was there anything else I was missing?
  • Stories displayed from Oldest to Newest
  • Mark as Read when downloaded
  • Minimum and Maximum article found for each run.
tBunnyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
savethekudzu
savethekudzu began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tBunnyMan View Post
I am currently rewriting the RIL plugin and I wanted a lot of the same features!

So far I have added the following features, was there anything else I was missing?
  • Stories displayed from Oldest to Newest
  • Mark as Read when downloaded
  • Minimum and Maximum article found for each run.
A checkbox-selectable option to Mark as Read when downloaded, or to *not* Mark as Read when downloaded? I prefer to download news daily, and if RIL was all marked as read yesterday, I see a "could not download" dialog today.

I've tried to customize the recipe by commenting out cleanup() and replacing it with the following, but this doesn't do what I expect. (I haven't tried to customize a recipe before.)

Code:
    def cleanup(self):
        pass

Last edited by savethekudzu; 03-02-2012 at 10:29 AM.
savethekudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi!

Read It Later has truly become a contender to Instapaper, it's great to see.

I'd love to help with the RIL recipe (I am currently maintaining the Instapaper recipe).

I think we could do a lot of code reuse. Check the source for the Instapaper recipe here:
https://bitbucket.org/khromov/calibre-instapaper/src/
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
tBunnyMan
Enthusiast
tBunnyMan began at the beginning.

Device: nook Simple GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by savethekudzu View Post
A checkbox-selectable option to Mark as Read when downloaded, or to *not* Mark as Read when downloaded? I prefer to download news daily, and if RIL was all marked as read yesterday, I see a "could not download" dialog today.

I've tried to customize the recipe by commenting out cleanup() and replacing it with the following, but this doesn't do what I expect. (I haven't tried to customize a recipe before.)

Code:
    def cleanup(self):
        pass
As for as I know Calibre does not allow you to add extra configurations. Only require username and password. I added an extra variable at the top that you can set to false to disable the mark as read functionality.
The github link is here https://github.com/tbunnyman/ReadItLater-Calibre-Plugin

I'm not sure this will do what you want, though you were not very clear exactly how you want it to function. Can you explain what you expect to happen?

Last edited by tBunnyMan; 03-09-2012 at 04:21 PM.
tBunnyMan is offline   Reply With Quote