Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Suggestion to gain screen real estate

Here's a small but perhaps significant suggestion for the developers, as a way to gain a bit more screen real estate for what really matters, the text:

Now that the latest firmware update has removed Locations, all that is left above the progress bar is the percentage -- and a lot of wasted space. Why not now tuck that in to the left of the progress bar, squeezing the bar slightly? That way you could add another line or two of text to the screen, which in the broader scheme of things reduces the number of page turns needed. Feasible?

While on the subject of gaining screen real estate:

1) Is there really any need for the left and right white margins to be so large? Shrinking these would also increase text space.

2) While PDFs display with full L and R (blank) margins in Portrait mode, Landscape mode cuts these margins and devotes the whole screen to text. Could this not also be implemented in Portrait mode?
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
ah, no more locations? i thought they just added page numbers
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The latest firmware made locations an option accessed with the Menu key. Dunno about page numbers though as I haven't come across an ebook yet for my Kindle showing them!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Both locations and page numbers (if any for that book) show up when the Menu button is pressed.

As far a margins, I'm fine with the way they are.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post

While on the subject of gaining screen real estate:

1) Is there really any need for the left and right white margins to be so large? Shrinking these would also increase text space.
Check out this thread re changing the margins...

Code:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94129
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
terencek
Groupie

Excellent, many thanks for that and I can absolutely recommend the thread you mentioned to anyone wanting to change the margins -- it worked a treat for me, meaning infinitesimally fewer page turns for those of us anal enough to care about such things....
Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
Excellent, many thanks for that and I can absolutely recommend the thread you mentioned to anyone wanting to change the margins -- it worked a treat for me, meaning infinitesimally fewer page turns for those of us anal enough to care about such things....
My pleasure, it was one of the very first things I did upon receipt of my kindle...
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote