Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The only paper books that I have left are my books from my Grad School/teaching days. I just can't bring myself to get rid of those but they have been thinned out. Almost all of my science fiction and action adventure books are gone. If I have an e-book copy, the hard copy is gone. I have some nice hardback books that I have kept.

We have gone from 5 bookshelves full of books (double lined in many cases) to enough books to fill one bookshelf.

I love my e-reader. It saves us space in the house and I can carry my library with me. If I ever need to, I could print out copies of the e-books I have.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #17
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I, too, have mostly text books from my graduate studies. Plus a few hardback non-fiction books that I have not read yet. I have very few fiction paperbacks. Most of them are in ebook format now and, if I see good deals, I will replace the others.

Last edited by jersysman; 01-10-2014 at 10:55 AM.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #18
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I've gotten rid of any paperbacks I could find a good digital copy of (legit or not).

I still buy hardcovers for my favorite authors though (Robin Hobb, GRR Martin and C.S. Friedman at this point, mainly).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'd like to cut back my paper library and have where I've gotten an ebook replacement, but still have over a thousand books that I either haven't gotten an ebook for or aren't available as ebooks. Bookshelves currently take up over half the wall space in my spare bedroom/home office. I've only added about half a dozen paper books since going digital in 2007.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #20
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I don't like holding on to paper books. First, they become clutter when you have enough of them. But also, I really love sharing books with people. I love reading them and then giving them away so someone else can enjoy them. That's the one negative thing for me about e-books, but the positives of not having to physically store them anywhere or move them outweigh that.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #21
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
I'm in love with my eBooks!

I've always wanted a huge library, the kind I picture in old castles. A very large room, floor to ceiling shelves, filled with hard-backed books. Since I'm far from rich, that will never happen. But now, at least I have more books than I ever could have dreamed about and get more frequently, mostly freebies.

So, I have gotten rid of all my pbooks, except for a very few with special memories from my childhood, a couple of signed ones, and some very, very old books for decoration purposes. Except for some specific reason in the future, the only books I will acquire from now on are ebooks.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #22
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
I've always wanted a huge library, the kind I picture in old castles. A very large room, floor to ceiling shelves, filled with hard-backed books.
I'd like a huge library as well, but just for being there and reading in it, and for display... I like how it looks. However, it's not really practical to "sacrifice" a room for it. Also, it'd be very expensive to acquire good quality books. Now with the advent of ebooks, I can have a virtual library as huge as I want, without needing all the space

Maybe I'll put two smallish book cases down into which the hardcover books go, with a desk and a Calibre-dedicated computer between them to create a small library corner

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-10-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #23
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Maybe I'll put two smallish book cases down into which the hardcover books go, with a desk and a Calibre-dedicated computer between them to create a small library corner
I've actually done something similiar. We call our den our library. It's set up with some wall units which i have the few books I still have displayed. It also has two comfortable chairs. I do like the looks of our 'library', but still, in my dream of dreams, would have a mansion with a huge, old-fashioned, library.

Of course, nowadays, I would read in there, but I would read on my PW!
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #24
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
I like paper books because they're often cheap and disposable, meaning if I lose one I won't cry about it. They're also free of any extra cables or cords and require no additional backup.

I like eBooks because they tend to be easier to hold, easier to move, and have additional features such as looking up words. I can also buy a new ebook wherever I am with 3G.
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #25
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I feel all cozy at the idea of my whole library always with me in my pocket
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #26
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
...in my dream of dreams, would have a mansion with a huge, old-fashioned, library.

Of course, nowadays, I would read in there, but I would read on my PW!
On the one hand, I like the Kindle because it's easier to hold than a big hardcover book. On the other hand, I also like HUGE books to be read at an old fashioned reading desk; the ones that have a part in the middle that can be slanted.

I like huge, hard cover books, if I have a comfortable place to read them. At this point in time, I don't.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #27
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I just realized that I own paperbacks that are nearly 30 years old...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #28
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have switched my reading from physical books to ebooks. I didn't read a single physical book last year. A friend gave me a physical book for Christmas which I am currently reading. It seems weird to be reading it instead of reading it on my Kindle.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #29
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I just realized that I own paperbacks that are nearly 30 years old...
Today I realized that I have been driving for 30 years. It's all very upsetting.

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:37 AM   #30
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I am down to about 5 paper books, I prefer the convenience of ebooks.

What I do miss is many moons ago I gave away my collection of books and I cant find most of them again.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote