Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #31
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I will have him hooked into my Amazon account (assuming that it still exists in 6-7 years which I think it will) and let him read the age appropriate books I have for him there. I need to get on top of making a list of my various store accounts and passwords for the hubby so that if anything happens he can access them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #32
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
Gutenberg's invention was a pretty good one on the whole. But we still gave up the ability for people to remember word-for-word what they heard (why remember when it can be written down.)
And the proliferation of books and reading led to a new era in eyeglass manufacturing as people spent far more time focusing closely, leading to widespread myopia. .
Bold's all mine.

Holy smokes Batman. Can you say "completely unbacked up assertions?!?!"

1) Most people DIDN'T remember things word for word. Usually a very small group was tasked with such a thing.They get wiped out, bam, you have to put it all back together from the imperfect memories of others, and usually wrong. The printing press removed the "human memory error" from the process of passing along info. People didn't get lazy.

2) What a load of crock about reading and myopia. Prove it.

So take your little arguments and leave.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #33
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're giving up the ability to resell it, or pass it on to someone else. Of course, if (like me) you never do that anyway, it's no loss.
Same here, and if I do choose to loan out a book I throw it on one of my older Kindle devices and loan the whole thing out.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice
Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely. Likewise, please address your criticisms to those opinions, facts and data rather than the person. When posting, your attention to the MobileRead Guidelines—specifically the full text of the very first item—is required. Insults ("take your little arguments and leave") are not allowed.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #35
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The dilemma only exists if the legality matters to you. You are locked in if you allow yourself to be locked in. There is no dilemma for me because I am fine with removing the DRM so that I can read my books on any device or using any application. There is no dilemma.

I don't think that Amazon is going to sue me for breech of contract because I am not pirating the work and I doubt that they know that I have removed the DRM. Is it possible that an author here might see my post and try and find out who I am and sue me? Sure, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they need more then a post or 100 on a message board to get a warrant.

I only use DRMed works on my Kindle and Kindle for IPad app so it would be hard for Amazon to know that I had removed DRM unless they are reading this board. (shrugs)
It is a moral dilemma in most cases, along the same lines as petty theft.

Many feel no discomfort if there is little danger of being caught. Kind of like taking your grandmother's, social security check if you know she would never dream of reporting you.

I don't think removing DRM is quite in the same league, but I often wonder why people gloat about it and self justify ad infinitum.

I have been guilty of many a petty crime and misdemeanor, but I am not simple enough to expect kudos from them or cover my feelings of guilt with smugness. Mostly if I know it is wrong, I will carry on and expect to face the consequences, or man up and stop. Bragging about it with a shrug is not on my list of options.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #36
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Can you say "completely unbacked up assertions?!?!"
I suggest a quick read of "Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman. It might enlighten you as to the nature of technology and the Faustian bargains it makes.

This is an Internet forum, and I am not required to do your research for you. If you want footnotes, go read a scientific journal.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #37
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
You're giving up the ability to resell it, or pass it on to someone else. Of course, if (like me) you never do that anyway, it's no loss.
As long as you never buy second hand books either.
Or think that the existence of a second hand market affects the prices for new books.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #38
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
It is a moral dilemma in most cases, along the same lines as petty theft.

Many feel no discomfort if there is little danger of being caught. Kind of like taking your grandmother's, social security check if you know she would never dream of reporting you.

I don't think removing DRM is quite in the same league, but I often wonder why people gloat about it and self justify ad infinitum.

I have been guilty of many a petty crime and misdemeanor, but I am not simple enough to expect kudos from them or cover my feelings of guilt with smugness. Mostly if I know it is wrong, I will carry on and expect to face the consequences, or man up and stop. Bragging about it with a shrug is not on my list of options.
Nothing is being stolen. I'm sure that the makers of your car and your house would love to have you scrap them when you're finished with them.

'I paid for it and I'll use it how I wish' has nothing in common with 'I stole it, but I deserved to have it'.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Nothing is being stolen. I'm sure that the makers of your car and your house would love to have you scrap them when you're finished with them.

'I paid for it and I'll use it how I wish' has nothing in common with 'I stole it, but I deserved to have it'.
Depends what you're doing with it. If your concept of "I'll use it how I wish" includes giving copies of it to all your friends, then one might reasonably suggest that this is cause for concern.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #40
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Depends what you're doing with it. If your concept of "I'll use it how I wish" includes giving copies of it to all your friends, then one might reasonably suggest that this is cause for concern.
Indeed, but the same would be true of physical books. Besides, I'm cranky and never give anything to anybody. >>BAM<< Don't touch that! You can't have it! Mine! Mine! Mine!
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote