Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
pgf
pgf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question elinks/links/lynx/w3m for K3?

i've just started using launchpad and myts in order to be able to ssh from my kindle keyboard. the keyboard is a litle clumsy for special characters, but it's the best weight-to-screensize ratio i've ever had for ssh. nice work folks -- thanks!

but today at a coffeeshop (local Dunkin Donuts) i couldn't use the wifi because the K3's built-in browser wouldn't redirect properly to their "click to agree" page -- it just hung.

it occurred to me that having a text browser available at the kindle's shell prompt might be handy at times like that. i don't know that it would have worked today, but it might have.

so: are there any pre-built text browsers available? (if there's a big archive of native kindle binaries somewhere, i guess this would be a good time for me to learn about it.)

paul
pgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf View Post
i've just started using launchpad and myts in order to be able to ssh from my kindle keyboard. the keyboard is a litle clumsy for special characters, but it's the best weight-to-screensize ratio i've ever had for ssh. nice work folks -- thanks!

but today at a coffeeshop (local Dunkin Donuts) i couldn't use the wifi because the K3's built-in browser wouldn't redirect properly to their "click to agree" page -- it just hung.

it occurred to me that having a text browser available at the kindle's shell prompt might be handy at times like that. i don't know that it would have worked today, but it might have.

so: are there any pre-built text browsers available? (if there's a big archive of native kindle binaries somewhere, i guess this would be a good time for me to learn about it.)

paul
Hmm...
Your thread title mentions text based **WEB** browsers but the post keeps mentioning text browsers.
Such as plain text files.

on a K3? Yup, got that:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

I am pretty sure links and w3m have been built for the kindles (although I don't recall for which models).

You'll have to search for them (or look them up).
The newbie list of how to find things here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083

(Yes, I see that your join date is 2010 - I was making the "newbie here" comment from context.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Niluje built lynx, I build a couple of the others dwb w3m. still hanvent found anything that works well with the 5 way, needs a bit of love (read middlemare) I think.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
pgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hmm...
Your thread title mentions text based **WEB** browsers but the post keeps mentioning text browsers.
Such as plain text files.
sorry -- i guess i should have said "text-based browser" rather than "text browser". didn't occur to me.

no, that's definitely not what i want. to clarify for anyone else: i'm looking for a text-based web browser, like elinks, lynx, links, or w3m, built for a kindle keyboard (K3), so that i can run it at a kindle shell prompt.

Quote:
I am pretty sure links and w3m have been built for the kindles (although I don't recall for which models).

You'll have to search for them (or look them up).
The newbie list of how to find things here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083

(Yes, I see that your join date is 2010 - I was making the "newbie here" comment from context.)
no problem. join date has little correlation with newbieness. i did do some searching before posting, but came up empty. (i'm a long time linux and unix and embedded developer -- i just haven't paid full attention to the kindle world.)

thanks for your help. neither of your links has borne fruit so far, though i've not exhausted the second one.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
pgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Niluje built lynx, I build a couple of the others dwb w3m. still hanvent found anything that works well with the 5 way, needs a bit of love (read middlemare) I think.
i would have thought that the keymaps that myts sets up would let one of those programs to "just work". can you point me at a binary i can try? (what's "middlemare"?) i don't need it to be very polished -- just enough to get through a network's welcome screen, since the kindle's browser doesn't always do that.
Advert
Old 06-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
pgf

okay -- thanks for the pointer -- i found niluje's version: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=198
and it's functional. of course, i'm not at the coffee shop where i had the failure, so i can't really test that case.

if anyone has a pointer something newer (or different, elinks or links or w3m) i'm still interested.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

what do you want?

be specific. often not a massive hardship to try to build something.

Niluje did that package at my bequest for a friend of mine. I know it is top quality. Damn good of him too.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
pgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
what do you want?

be specific. often not a massive hardship to try to build something.

Niluje did that package at my bequest for a friend of mine. I know it is top quality. Damn good of him too.
thanks for the thumbs up on niluje's binary -- it wasn't clear from either your first post here or from niluje's post where he announced it whether it was of high quality or not -- you know as well as i do that early ports often have gotchas that don't show up in the first few minutes of use. i have high hopes, though!!

i think i was pretty specific about what i'm looking for -- and perhaps what i've got is the whole answer, but i've only barely tried it. if there were something else out there (elinks, w3m, etc) that i could load up to keep with me in case it works better than lynx in some corner case, then i'd do so. that's all. earlier today i thought i was all set without an extra browser at all, until the amazon browser failed me. so now i'm trying to cover my bases. i'd like to be able to rely on the kindle for ssh access to my home server when i'm traveling.

thanks again...
paul
p.s. and yes, i could certainly build it myself -- i'm no stranger to cross-compilation. but that's a bigger job than i have time to take on at the moment.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
twobob

okay well w3m is never gonna have -img support. at last not the last time i tried.
maybe someone else can convince the libs to play nice

you say elinks, w3m, etc.

Can I just have an exhaustive list of what you are interested in?

asking for help building something is one thing, asking for help searching for what you might want is a whole nother kettle of fish.

if you know exactly what you want Ill have a quick look. no sweat.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
pgf

thanks -- i was really just hoping that someone (like you ;-) would know of a binary i could probably use and point me to it (like you did!). i'm not asking anyone to go searching for me.

i've since tracked down the "optware" stuff, and found a w3m in the ipkgs. it needs shared libs, so i didn't get a chance to try it yet, but i will soon. so i think i'm probably all set now.

thanks for your help, and for prodding me to continue searching. (along the way i discovered "search attachments", which was very effective at narrowing things down -- good to know about.)

paul
Old 06-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
twobob

its old and shows it.

we can do much more now much easier.

don't waste your time doing fancy ancient things with convoluted setups, kual can run your stuff with minimal hassle, and porting is easier than it ever was.

Just saying.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Wow. Didn't even remember that lynx build xD.

Now that you mention it, I *think* I might have gone with lynx over links/elinks for a simple question of: way fewer dependencies (and all of them already built for my other stuff ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:48 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Wow. Didn't even remember that lynx build xD.

Now that you mention it, I *think* I might have gone with lynx over links/elinks for a simple question of: way fewer dependencies (and all of them already built for my other stuff ;p).
Looks that way - -
Most of the dependencies are already built into our "HF base system" -

Will look into including lynx in the hard-float builds (it will have to be added to the buildroot packages - just to get reproducible builds).

Which may take quite some time - so if you can "refresh" your own build ....

Last edited by knc1; 06-14-2014 at 05:50 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
pgf

okay, thanks -- i'll skip doing anything with optware. i'm out of town for a bit starting tom'w, but i'll look at kual when i get back. wish me luck with my ssh access! (i can get in using my phone, too, so i'm not completely reliant on the kindle. it just has a much better screen.)

thanks for all your help on this thread, and for all of your collective work on kindle hacking up to this point. i must say it's great to be able to leverage this device in so many ways...

paul