Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-06-2008, 03:20 AM   #1
Chaky
Chaky began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb Which motherboard?

Hi everyone.
I'm probably going to buy the QX9650 when it comes out in a few days, if it turns out to be around $1000 and no more.
I can't decide what MB to put it in though...
I am running some Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066Mhz. So I was thinking the MSI P35 Platinum?
I won't be likely to run SLI so I don't need 680i, and I won't be running DDR3 for a long time yet so don't want to go X38.
I'm also planning on OCing the processor to probably around 4Ghz, with the FSB up to maybe 1500 or 1600Mhz. So I need something that can happily handle that FSB without custom cooling (Antec 900 with all possible fans, and a Thermalright Ultra-120e on the proc, though), and that can assist me favorably with the processor OC.
Suggestions?
Chaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaky View Post
Hi everyone.
I'm probably going to buy the QX9650 when it comes out in a few days, if it turns out to be around $1000 and no more.
I can't decide what MB to put it in though...
I am running some Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066Mhz. So I was thinking the MSI P35 Platinum?
I won't be likely to run SLI so I don't need 680i, and I won't be running DDR3 for a long time yet so don't want to go X38.
I'm also planning on OCing the processor to probably around 4Ghz, with the FSB up to maybe 1500 or 1600Mhz. So I need something that can happily handle that FSB without custom cooling (Antec 900 with all possible fans, and a Thermalright Ultra-120e on the proc, though), and that can assist me favorably with the processor OC.
Suggestions?
It sounds like a shame to put a 1333mhz bus processor on such a mainboard with that memory. But if you do not want to go X38 and no DDR3 for the processor then a P35 would be a good choice I'd say.

That is some reading device you want advice on though...
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The MSI P35 Platinum uses an Intel processor. Don't bother with it. You want a motherboard that uses an AMD Dual Core for better performance.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The MSI P35 Platinum uses an Intel processor. Don't bother with it. You want a motherboard that uses an AMD Dual Core for better performance.
I fail to see how any dual core from AMD currently available will outperform a quad core extreme from intel in a setting where multiple cores matter.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan View Post
I fail to see how any dual core from AMD currently available will outperform a quad core extreme from intel in a setting where multiple cores matter.
If quad cores matter, still go AMD. Going Intel is a big mistake.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
(I moved this tread to the Lounge as it was not about e-ink devices.)

I agree with Jaajan, the current crop of Intel devices offers a great price/performance ratio and run cooler than the AMDs. Once there was a time when all I would buy was AMD cpus. Those days are gone. I find it increasingly harder and harder to justify AMD units. In fact, the last two computers here are Intel machines. (OK, in the interests of full disclosure there are still 3 AMD units running here.)

Any of the options mentioned will yield a great computer. My only concern is that if you go into OCing the beast without custom cooling, all the fans will make racket. Be sure to have a good audio system available to drown out the cyclone.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Hrmm.. toss one of these onto the CPU. Crazy. Although I'm not a fan of the fin orientation.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You want a motherboard that uses an AMD Dual Core for better performance.......

Going Intel is a big mistake.
Wolf - there was a time when this was true, but that time has sadly passed. All of the current Intel offerings out perform the equivalent AMD CPUs. The company is doing poorly financially since they stumbled with the ATI acquisition. This is sad on so many levels. The competition they provided really pushed innovation. Look at what Intel is doing now - they have the next gen CPUs all ready to roll, but are holding off. AMD has nothing to answer their current crop so Intel sits on the next generation while they make money off their older designs. I really hope AMD gets back in the game (I heard rumors about an nVidea takeover this past week). We pay higher prices and see less innovation when they stumble like this. The same thing is happening in the Graphics card arena with nVidea beating the pants off ATI just now.

Some 2006 benchmarks -
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1997469,00.asp
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2014655,00.asp
(from the summary)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTech
It's clear that Intel's Core 2 Duo lineup offers superior performance across the product line when compared with AMD's Athlon 64 X2. In some applications, even a lower-cost Core 2 Duo can outperform some of the higher-end Athlon 64 X2s.
Personally I think that either AMD or Intel are just fine for those who know what they are doing. I just couldn't let your remarks pass without comment...... (c8

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote