Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am in the 'I will fix it' camp.

James T. Smith Jr.
I fix to sort
Smith Jr., James T.
I would like a 'turn the Red Off, I fixed it this way' flag
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:07 AM   #17
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
@chaley: Thanks for the explanation. The UI issue Kovid brought up is pretty important, though- I think that, at least to the user, there shouldn't be much of a change in the edit metadata dialog(s). If you implement it that way, you should try to keep the author field the way it is, as a single text input, and apply a standard split into first and last names, say according to the comma behaviour. Then, for the non-standard cases, you might provide a manage author dialog from within the edit dialog that allows the user to fine-tune and manually select what goes into the respective name fields and how the name should be composed.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 03:28 AM   #18
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Stupid question, what is the "author sort" used for ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:35 AM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Stupid question, what is the "author sort" used for ?
It is used when you sort by authors. There are two of them. The first, one for each book, is used when books are sorted. The other, one for each author, is used to sort authors in the tag browser and content server, and is used to build the default for the one in the book.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am in the 'I will fix it' camp.

James T. Smith Jr.
I fix to sort
Smith Jr., James T.
I would like a 'turn the Red Off, I fixed it this way' flag
If you fix the author's value, then the book's value won't be red anymore.
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 03:38 AM   #21
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
@chaley: Thanks for the explanation. The UI issue Kovid brought up is pretty important, though- I think that, at least to the user, there shouldn't be much of a change in the edit metadata dialog(s). If you implement it that way, you should try to keep the author field the way it is, as a single text input, and apply a standard split into first and last names, say according to the comma behaviour. Then, for the non-standard cases, you might provide a manage author dialog from within the edit dialog that allows the user to fine-tune and manually select what goes into the respective name fields and how the name should be composed.
I am not going to implement anything. I can easily live with what is already there, and I don't feel like dealing with the controversy any change would cause.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:48 AM   #22
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I am not going to implement anything. I can easily live with what is already there, and I don't feel like dealing with the controversy any change would cause.
Oh, okay. I was under the impression that this was the planning stage of a new feature. Well, changing the default to comma is a good feature, as well
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:09 AM   #23
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It is used when you sort by authors. There are two of them. The first, one for each book, is used when books are sorted. The other, one for each author, is used to sort authors in the tag browser and content server, and is used to build the default for the one in the book.
I didn't even knew calibre stored authors separately.
Will the reader use the sort-autor value when sorting book ? Or is it calibre specific ?
Isn't there a sort_title value too ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 AM   #24
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@Manichean: The thread went off that direction from the initial question, whether to change the tweak's default. The discussion is interesting, and perhaps someone who cares more than me will take it on. As kiwidude said, it would be a lot of work, and it could easily generate a lot of controversy.

@EowynCarter: Yes, there is a title_sort, one per book, changeable in edit_metadata. What a device does depends on the device, and on the plugboards and save template in effect when sending to the device. Certainly both author and title sort values are available for use in path names and metadata.