Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
The NC is easier to read in sunlight than my Motorola Droid - both with LCD.

Cutterjohn, I'll let you know about the Notion Ink Adam as soon as it arrives. Estimated shipping is today through next Sat. but I expect it to be delayed. For the USA they're waiting until the FCC stickers can be officially put on. It's passed all the FCC tests but hasn't yet received official OK.
Did you order the Pixel Qi screen one? (I saw the video on engadget... didn't like their UI at all from what I saw...)

Still going to wait on buying another tablet as I just bought the gTablet, Nook Color, and picked up a Pandigital Novel(white) again since they were dirt cheap as a beater. Plus I'd like to see IF Notion Ink can survive to release a second and maybe third tablet PLUS I want to be able to see one in a b&m store personally before buying one. (Also didn't like that they were charging people as soon as ordered which indicated to me that they were out of cash... plus their warranty and the shipping pricing fiasco...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Well I bought the color Nook, then returned it...I like being able to read in bed, but got less than a 6 hours on a charge and it was off..(No Wifi)...I guess affixing a light to my Kindle is next (and cheaper)
I still like the Sony 950, was checking them out while I was there, I know there is no back light but like I the touch screen, but the contrast is still not dark enough for my liking...
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That battery life doesn't sound right. I am getting better than that, and I always keep Wi-fi on.

The Sony 950 is my primary ereader. You can adjust the contrast of the text. You can also adjust the brightness of the background. The demo model was probably set to the mid-range defaults.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #19
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
Kindle 3 is half the weight of Nook Color (8.5 vs almost 16 ounces). LCD is not ideal for bright lights or sun due to glare and washing out. E-ink is designed to be read in the same lighting situations as you read print book (i.e., outside, with lamp, or room with enough natural light). Only you can decide which you prefer. Go to Best Buy to compare.
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #20
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Sounds like you got a bad battery. I get MUCH more battery life out of mine. The screen is better than the ipad and with the anti-glare film on it it works very well in sunlight. Having had a nook classic, a kindle3 and a nook color I prefer the nook color hands down.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #21
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Did you order the Pixel Qi screen one? (I saw the video on engadget... didn't like their UI at all from what I saw...)

Still going to wait on buying another tablet as I just bought the gTablet, Nook Color, and picked up a Pandigital Novel(white) again since they were dirt cheap as a beater. Plus I'd like to see IF Notion Ink can survive to release a second and maybe third tablet PLUS I want to be able to see one in a b&m store personally before buying one. (Also didn't like that they were charging people as soon as ordered which indicated to me that they were out of cash... plus their warranty and the shipping pricing fiasco...)
Yeah, I'm getting the Pixel Qi with wi-fi. Didn't get the one with SIM card. Check the Notion Ink Adam Forum in a month or so. I should have a review there by then. Still have no shipping date even though they supposedly started shipping to USA yesterday.

Last edited by slayda; 01-20-2011 at 08:24 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #22
jandjmobile2
jandjmobile2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
We really like our Nook Color Readers

Tried the Kindle and thought it was too cheaply made and had no back color.

Our two new Nook Color Readers are perfect. We both have low vision and you can enlarge the font easily.

JandJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Is the screen like an Ipads that make it almost impossible to read in sunlight...?? Is the weight too cumbersome to read for any lenghth of time...I like my Kindle, but not any of the light solutions. So Im looking for something backlite..The color Nook fits the bill but hard to judge attached to a podium at a store....
jandjmobile2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #23
Mark_O
Mark_O began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Well I bought the color Nook, then returned it...I like being able to read in bed, but got less than a 6 hours on a charge and it was off..(No Wifi)...
Cpl, did you base that on the first charge cycle you did on your NC? If not, that sounds way too low. How far down did you run it?

I leave WiFi off on mine most of the time, and have brightness set pretty low (about 20%), and am getting a pretty solid 8 hours of reading on a charge (99% down to 10%). If I kept it in Sleep mode, it would take about 12 days to deplete to 10% from a full charge.

Some continuous reading spot checks (from 99% at t0):
= 90% at 1h03
= 78% at 2h16
= 70% at 3h10
= 66% at 3h36

= 60% after Sleeping it for 19 hours

Just another data point.

- Mark
Mark_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #24
Rasenganfan2
Rasenganfan2 began at the beginning.

Honestly, if you want a tablet which functions as an amazing ereader, go for Notion Ink's Adam tablet. The PixelQi screen is amazing. Think of it like this: E ink and LCD had a baby, and their child is capable of transforming into each form. It has a regular LCD mode and an e ink mode. With the Adam, you can get Market access via sideload, so you van get the Kindle, Nook, and other ereading apps. You can also do other things in e ink mode, like your regular tablet things. PixelQi Adam will run you about 500 USD. Transflective LCD, the basic Adam screen, will run you 430 USD.
Rasenganfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #25
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I just used mine outdoors in very sunny conditions, while my dog played at the doggy park.............first for me..........had no issues, needed to turn the brightness up to max....... granted when I held it up so that the sun was directly in the screen it would have been difficult, but holding the NC in that position wasn't easy anyways.....
I'm ok with outdoor reading (but I'm a nite reader by trade).........I do have the anti glare protector installed.........never even used it without it......

I've never owned an eink reader, so I can't really comment....but I'd believe those who claimed eink is better when reading in direct sunlight.......but that's rare for me anyways.....
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote