Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
flexy123
flexy123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2+T
Please Help With Kindle PW2 Collections (jailbreak? downgrad? Kindlian? CM plugin?)

After having had a Touch for a long time, yesterday I finally got a PW2.

I have so many books on them I finally decided that I really want to create collections.

* I updated my Kindle to the latest 5.4.5 firmware

* Managing collections manually from Kindle is retarded. I don't have the time to organize 400 books. Besides it's constantly coming up with a requester about not having synced to the cloud if I tick one single book.

* The most feasible solution seems Calibre + CM plugin, BUT now they say I need a jailbroken kindle..problem only I have FW 5.4.5 and the instructions on jailbreaking on latest FW are not clear.

* CM plugin developer for calibre basically says that the plugin is "pointless" on latest firmware which makes me question the entire sense of downgrading, jailbreaking and installing it in the first place.

* There is an ominous piece of software out there "Kindlian" but I am afraid to try it since I don't know whether it would brick my Kindle.

*** All I want/need is a way to organize PW2 collections from my PC, preferably from within calibre and I am just STUMPED and utterly amazed there is no clear and easy solution out there.

* If there is a solution that involves downgrading and jailbreaking I need safe instructions and especially also how I could possibly unbrick in case I would brick it. (The "tip"/procedure in the K5 JB thread about downgrading K5 5.4.5 to 5.4.3 is not entirely clear to me. neither are the unbricking instructions I found somewhere)

*** Should I just wait until all tools/hacks are updated so they work with the latest FW?

* Downgrading to 5.4.3 and KEEPING the old FW is not an option. I noticed that the latest FW is considerably faster so I would really want to keep the new FW if possible and not run on the old one.

TY!

Last edited by flexy123; 07-25-2014 at 10:38 PM.
flexy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
That last requirement:
Quote:
* Downgrading to 5.4.3 and KEEPING the old FW is not an option. I noticed that the latest FW is considerably faster so I would really want to keep the new FW if possible and not run on the old one.
is a show stopper.

The 5.4.x series are each complete images, the "downgrade" (or "upgrade") changes the complete image - there is no option for doing both (an image change and keeping another image).

Everything else mentioned can be dealt with here otherwise.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
What knc1 said. Either you downgrade to 5.4.3.2, where everything you need works, or you don't, and CM doesn't work.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
flexy123
flexy123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2+T
downgrading works and after JB I can update to the latest again?
flexy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@flexy123: Yes, but CM still doesn't support FW 5.4.5.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
minion2eyes
minion2eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That last requirement:

is a show stopper.

The 5.4.x series are each complete images, the "downgrade" (or "upgrade") changes the complete image - there is no option for doing both (an image change and keeping another image).

Everything else mentioned can be dealt with here otherwise.
If I read the original post and your reply correctly, it seems to say that Calibre + CM plugin will work for 5.4.3.2? Is that correct? If so, can you point me to where I can get instructions on how to set this up?

Cheers!
minion2eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
minion2eyes
minion2eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
What knc1 said. Either you downgrade to 5.4.3.2, where everything you need works, or you don't, and CM doesn't work.
If I read the original post and your reply correctly, it seems to say that Calibre + CM plugin will work for 5.4.3.2? Is that correct? If so, can you point me to where I can get instructions on how to set this up?

Cheers!
minion2eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@minion2eyes: Yes, but not on your specific variant of the PW2. (Non-JP 4GB models).
Old 09-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
ishanc
ishanc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Hey, I have the same issue as minion2eyes, My kindle updated to 5.4.5.1 and now apparently I can't jailbreak it. is it possible to downgrade in order to jailbreak, by any means?

Thank you.
ishanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishanc View Post
Hey, I have the same issue as minion2eyes, My kindle updated to 5.4.5.1 and now apparently I can't jailbreak it. is it possible to downgrade in order to jailbreak, by any means?

Thank you.
Yes. See: "Important Notice" in: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645, then follow the link.
Then upgrade to 5.4.5.1
Then install CM and whatever else you need.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote