Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Tony30
Tony30 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook
Exchanging Library Card Numbers

I'm so blessed to have a friend in state of Arizona.
We share our library card numbers to borrow ebooks from both Phoenix Digital Library, and Los Angeles Digital Library. We both have an understating not to borrow over the limit, so I may borrow from my library whenever I need. This is fantastic especially when you need an eBook that isn't available at your local library overdrive collection.

Let me know what you think of sharing ebook Library access with your friends and family members out of state.
Tony30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Moderator Notice
Tony,

Please note that sharing your library access is most likely against the library's terms and hence must not be encouraged at MobileRead.

Thank you for your understanding.

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:38 AM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I don't really know how that would work? Wouldn't you need to share your ADE accounts too?

In any case in view of the Moderator Notice above I won't discuss that any further but on a related note I am a member of 4 different libraries - my local library and the library of my nearby capital city (both of which I am eligible to join because of where I live and work) and 2 libraries that I joined online.
Although I can now borrow up to 26 books at a time (which I can't imagine ever doing!) the main benefit is that I have access to different books at 3 of the libraries (2 libraries share the same collection.) Also for the popular books (which are in all libraries) I have access to 3 different waiting lists. Sometimes a book with a long waiting list at one library will be available at another.

Have you investigated what other libraries you may be able to join?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I don't really know how that would work? Wouldn't you need to share your ADE accounts too?
No, The library doesn't ask for your Adobe ID. At least one of the three I'm a member of does.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Aside from the legal, ethical, and ADE issues, don't you guys find a lot of overlap in the catalogs? I am a member of Brooklyn Public Library and I am eligible for an NYPL card too. But when I look at the NYPL ebooks catalog, I have only found ONE book that I want, that is not available at BPL. So I keep telling myself I will get around to getting an NYPL card, but then I never do. (well actually once I did, but I got turned away for not having the proper paperwork, and I haven't tried again.) In the meantime, I keep on reading and reading from the BPL catalog.

Similarly, I have looked at the ebook collection of my dad's library (not that I was thinking of doing anything illegal or unethical with my dad's library card...) and the catalog seems to be mostly the same.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Aside from the legal, ethical, and ADE issues, don't you guys find a lot of overlap in the catalogs?
There's quite a bit of overlap. The reason I belong to multiple libraries has to do with availability. Checked out a one, but available at another; or a shorter wait list.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading
trksh22 is on a distinguished road

Device: K2
Quote:
<snip> and 2 libraries that I joined online.
<snip>
Are your two libraries available for anyone to join? I'm curious as to what the two libraries are, as I'd live to join. I have a Philly Free card that I happen to love and cherish, ha!
trksh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
No... but if you use different ADE accounts to get books from the same library you will find that you can't d/l a book with AccountA that has been downloaded with AccountB.

At least, I think that is what I saw when I was d/l-ing stuff from the library for my wife using two different Adobe accounts, her's and mine both using her library card.

Although, it could have just been with audio books... so not 100% sure.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Actually, I think you may be able to download the same book from more than one library. You probably need to clean out the old book listing from the 'my digital editions' folder before you try to do so, however.

I have access to multiple libraries and use three different computers to download ADE ebooks with no issues, so I'm thinking it works. Just as a matter of habit, I clean out my digital editions folder every month or two.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Well since you're in Cali it wont be hard for you to start collecting library cards (legally) in state.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
Tony30
Tony30 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook
I totally agree with Alex. Although sharing is not restricted under most library borrowing policies, the practice of sharing library cards is discouraged.

God knows my kids borrow my library card to borrow their hardcover books when they can't borrow enough books from their own cards. I honestly think libraries should openly allow sharing, at least among family members as long as we don’t abuse the membership.
Tony30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading
trksh22 is on a distinguished road

Device: K2
Our library allows sharing, but the person on the card is liable for any damage. I used to use my kids cards when I ran out of space on my own, but not anymore since the library upped the amount of books we can check out at a time (from 10 to 25).
trksh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
When I was a teenager, our house was not in a place with a public library. My mother paid the non-resident fee for a card at a public library in a big town about 45 minutes away, and she'd take us there every couple weeks. AFAIK it wasn't against the rules for my mom to share her card with us kids, and we never hit any limits except for how much we could each carry. But if we lost any books, my mom was the one they held responsible.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
When I was a teenager, our house was not in a place with a public library. My mother paid the non-resident fee for a card at a public library in a big town about 45 minutes away, and she'd take us there every couple weeks. AFAIK it wasn't against the rules for my mom to share her card with us kids, and we never hit any limits except for how much we could each carry. But if we lost any books, my mom was the one they held responsible.
Same at all the libraries I have worked at. Though I haven't needed to share a card since I was a very young child, and now have at least 7 or 8 due to the many varied places I've lived and worked.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #15
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I don't mind if my library has a non-resident program. I certainly don't mind people sharing their cards within their household - that's what families do. I do, however, mind if people are sharing their library cards with people outside of the library's service area for the purpose of checking out ebooks.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote