Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Best dedicated ebook device for cbrs?

cbrs for those that arent familiar with them are just zipped jpg/tiff/png picture files. They are used for scanlations (other language comics scanned and translated), also useful for previewing comics before buying. Does anyone here have experience of using their ebook device for reading manga / comics / scanlations etc? Does anyone have any opinions on whether one device performs better than another in this area?
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
dumky
dumky began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
Here is some information about converting CBR/CBZ files to read on the Sony Reader and review of the quality:
http://hightech.afmag.net/reading-ma...ve-review.html

Cheers,
Julien
dumky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumky View Post
Here is some information about converting CBR/CBZ files to read on the Sony Reader and review of the quality:
http://hightech.afmag.net/reading-ma...ve-review.html

Cheers,
Julien
nice one Julien, link is very helpful, cheers
Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I find that the Asus Eee is good for reading CBRs, it has a LCD 800x480 screen, you can install comix on it (Linux based cbr reader) and set it to auto rotate all the pages, then have the Eee sideways and it's surprisingly good to read them with
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I find that the Asus Eee is good for reading CBRs, it has a LCD 800x480 screen, you can install comix on it (Linux based cbr reader) and set it to auto rotate all the pages, then have the Eee sideways and it's surprisingly good to read them with
damn you simond!!! lol!! you only given me another really good option! Im already split between the Hanlin, Sony and Cybook! I just looked at the asus and may have to add it to my list, especially as it also far more easy to buy that than any of the others.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
To be honest I have a PRS-500 for reading actual books, took ages before I thought of trying CBRs on my Eee, the text can be quite small, but I did quite comfortably read a series of Transformers using it
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron101 View Post
damn you simond!!! lol!! you only given me another really good option! Im already split between the Hanlin, Sony and Cybook! I just looked at the asus and may have to add it to my list, especially as it also far more easy to buy that than any of the others.
For viewing comic books, you will find the 505 better then the Gen3 due to the 8 shades you get with the 505 vs. the 4 shades on the Gen3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For viewing comic books, you will find the 505 better then the Gen3 due to the 8 shades you get with the 505 vs. the 4 shades on the Gen3.
Or you can also get 16 shades with the iLiad...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Or you can also get 16 shades with the iLiad...
And a much better size for comic books. Text on comic books tends to be rather small to read on a 6" screen.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only issue for the iLiad is that it costs more then double the 505.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I love my cbr's but I found it next to impossible to comfortably read comics on the 505 - even with the 8 shades it can be hard to track a busy scene and can be very hard to read text.

If it's a big deal I'd get one of the bigger suggestions (especially the iLiad) or a tablet pc.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only issue for the iLiad is that it costs more then double the 505.
Well it is almost always cheaper to buy something that doesn't work or doesn't work as well The larger e-INK display is expensive and then you get a touch screen and other refinements.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Viewing .CBZ/.CBRs on ebook devices effectively!

Those who want to try a new Comic (CBZ/CBR) to LRF/PRC/HTML/IMP converter may want to try PDFRead 1.8.1 which was just released in the Content forum. Input support for .CBZ/.CBR was recently added in addition to pdf/djvu/tiff/imglist. Output Profiles have been provided for the Sony PRS-500 and PRS-505/Kindle/Cybook Gen 3/iLiad/Generic as well as the EBW1150/REB1200.

PDFRead 1.8.1 can be found here.

While it may require the (free) eBook Publisher software installed, it allows for cropping, rotating, dilating (thickening the text) and edge enhancing with colors/grayscale from 2 to 256! It also outputs in various landscape and portrait modes to suit your needs.

I'd be interested in some feedback if the default settings for your device are to your liking. You may respond here or in the PDFRead 1.8.1 thread.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Some CBZ sample pics on different ebook devices (via PC viewer software). 'Portrait' mode displays one full page (_P) whereas 'Landscape-half' mode requires two page-flips for each page (_L1 and _L2) but has better clarity! Note 3 images for each ebook reader (_P, _L1, _L2).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_500_P.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	11868   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_505_P.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	11869   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_1150_P.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	11870   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_1200_P.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	11871   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_iLiad_P.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	11872   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_Kindle+Cybook_P.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	11873   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_500_L1.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	11874   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_500_L2.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	11875   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_505_L1.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	11876   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_505_L2.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	11877   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_1150_L1.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	11878   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_1150_L2.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	11879   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_1200_L1.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	11880   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_1200_L2.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	11881   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_iLiad_L1.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	11882   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_iLiad_L2.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	11883   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_Kindle+Cybook_L1.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	11884   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBZ_sample_Kindle+Cybook_L2.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	11885  

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-31-2008 at 12:01 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #14
GavinK151
Enthusiast
GavinK151 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi!

PDFread is very promising for reading CBRs on the Cybook, one thing I find odd however is that selecting the prc-mobi profile results in the pages having a huge white border round them.

I have tried defining the width and height manually but I get some odd results when I do this, namely I get the pages chopped up oddly.

I was wondering, are the profiles stored anywhere in editable form? I had a look but could not see them as I was hoping I could manually tweak the profile settings directly rather than via the gui...

cheers!
GavinK151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The best as far as eink goes is a toss up between the iLiad and the 505. The 505 is vizplex with better contrast but only 8 shades where the iliad has higher resolution, 16 shades, and a higher price. The Kindle and Gen3 are both only 4 shades. So for viewing pictures, go for the iLiad if you can afford it, If not, go for the 505.