Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
Metadata not transferring to Kindle

I updated all the metadata for a large number of (non-DRM'd) books in Calibre. Then, I plugged in my kindle, removed the books from the Kindle, then used "send to device" to send the books to the kindle. Still, I have a large number of books showing up on the kindle with no author, and titles like "Author_Title"

What can cause this? How do I fix it?

Thanks!
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What version of calibre do you have installed? The latest fixes to metadata editing require 0.6.45.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

GRiker,
I have 0.6.45. I am currently trying to convert all the books to MOBI, in case for some reason it needs a manual convert, but I'm not sure if that's actually useful

Last edited by TuxGirl; 03-26-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let's walk through the steps just to make sure everything's set up correctly.

A couple of preliminaries:
Preferences|General|Preferred output format is MOBI
Preferences|Conversion|Page setup is Kindle or Kindle DX
Preferences|Conversion|MOBI|Use author sort for author is checked

And the steps you are taking:
  • Add the original book to calibre
  • Edit the metadata
  • Select the book in the main window
  • Kindle is connected
  • Click Send to device

There's no need to convert the books.

For the moment, try just one problem book so we have a test case.

If this still doesn't work, we'll go to the next step to resolve it.

G
Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
TuxGirl
Groupie

okay... cancelled my conversions from mobi to mobi good thing, too... still had a ways to go on them

I did not have "use author sort for author" checked.

This time, it worked, but I think this is one of the ones that went through the conversion, since it claims to have both a prc and a mobi version (which, i wish there was a way to say "if there is not a prc or mobi version, then convert", because I don't like the pdf versions)

Let me see if I update my kindle again, that'll tell me if there are any that didn't get fixed by the re-conversion. If I find any, I will try the steps you gave above and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help!
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
TuxGirl
Groupie

Okay, I do have a few that are still acting up. The thing that's interesting is, if I plug the kindle in and look at the file in calibre there, the metadata is correct. It's just that on the display on the kindle itself, it's messed up.

Would it help if I sent you the file in some way? (It's free PD mobileread file that i've edited, so there wouldn't be any copyright issues).

Btw, not sure if this is an area that's platform-dependent, but I'm doing this on a linux system. I can get whatever debugging information might be useful.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
GRiker

I've sent you a PM with followup instructions.

G
Old 03-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
TuxGirl
Groupie

Just sent the email to you (might take a moment to reach you).

One thing I just noticed while looking on the kindle directly is that all the files I'm having problems with appear to be .prc files, whereas it looks like all the .mobi files are working okay. Could this be related to the difference between the mobi and prc formats? (I never noticed any significant difference between them before).
Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I don't know if this has been gone over or not, but when I've had issues exactly like those described above, what I've done is convert the mobi to mobi and then send it to the Kindle.

Even though the display is correct within Calibre, on some books if you don't actually convert the mobi file to mobi after setting the metadata the way you want, it will transfer to Kindle with the old data.

I know it sounds redundant to do it this way but it works and only takes an extra minute or two in the process.

(This same holds true for some other formats as well, txt, doc, prc etc. So if you find that the metadata didn't transfer properly, just take the extra step as described.)

Edited To Add:

I'm using version 0.6.43

Last edited by Bluesman7; 03-26-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
TuxGirl
Groupie

bluesman: it looks to me like converting works, but it sounds to me like griker's saying it shouldn't be necessary with 0.6.45. so, i'm hoping i can help him figure out what's going on
Old 03-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
GRiker

@TuxGirl:
The problem with these files is that they are all ancient 'PalmDOC' files. Unfortunately, the .prc extension is sometimes used with MOBI files, and sometimes used with PalmDOC files, and both types will load on the Kindle, so it's not easy to tell which type of file it is without examining the contents.

Calibre does not support setting metadata for PalmDOC files, meaning that in fact it is necessary to convert these as you were in the process of doing when I told you it wasn't necessary.

The only way to know that calibre didn't write the metadata is to be running in debug mode. I'm going to talk to Kovid about adding some information in the job summary so that you could discover the problem files there. In the meantime, the simple solution is to note which files didn't have their metadata changed on the Kindle Home screen, then do a MOBI-MOBI convert on those. Somewhat inelegant, but it will work.

G
Old 03-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
TuxGirl
Groupie

GRiker: thanks! good to know about that. I'll also look into where I got these particular files. One of my sources might be using the older format prc, and might have mobi as an option too.
thanks for the help!