Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Notion Ink Adam Prototype

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/n...g-like-the-re/

Quote:
We just got a brief look at the upcoming Notion Ink Adam Android-based "smartpad" device, which runs the new Tegra chipset and has a Pixel Qi display. The real win here is that since Tegra is already a power sipping affair -- a traditional tablet should get about 40 hours with regular use -- so with Pixel Qi's 10x power advantage over LCD, the device could get nearly 400 hours of battery in backlight-off mode. That sounds silly high (and most likely wrong), but even with 40+ hours of use as an e-reader it would be pretty great.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
???

What tablet device is getting 40 Hours!!!??

what battery device with a screen at all is getting 40 Hours life?

surely they mean normal tablet 4 hours and this one 40 hours? but then its ONLY the screen thats 10x better power use so maybe screen only represents 25% of power use in which case it would get in theory 5+hours as actually your only reducing 25% of teh power consumption.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
???

What tablet device is getting 40 Hours!!!??

what battery device with a screen at all is getting 40 Hours life?

surely they mean normal tablet 4 hours and this one 40 hours? but then its ONLY the screen thats 10x better power use so maybe screen only represents 25% of power use in which case it would get in theory 5+hours as actually your only reducing 25% of teh power consumption.
I think what he meant was eInk reader.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
maybe but doing 40 then multiplying it by 10 because teh screen is 10 times more efficient is just bad maths anyway! firstly it assumes ONLY the screen is draining the battery.

hmm maybe it would do 400 hours if you put a page on in 'eink' mode and then just left it on a shelf. that would make sense.

However if this had a real use of 5hrs it would still be my number one choice of the tablets i have seen so far.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Well, until I see the Pocketbook large format reader and unless I decide I can live with the Skiff (highly doubtful though it appears as the best of the real large format devices as the Que seems completely underwhelming to me), but so far this is the device that delivers the closest set of functions which justify a large format reader in addition to a simple 5" or 6" reader.

It seems, however that this device is not going to be viable until Q4 of 2010...I mean they should have already had at least a final or close to final case for CES.

Just very disappointing outcome for CES as far as I am concerened.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff
hmm maybe it would do 400 hours if you put a page on in 'eink' mode and then just left it on a shelf. that would make sense.
Just to clarify, Pixel Qi screen tech is an LCD, but tweaked a little so that instead of using a backlight to fight ambient lighting, it has reflective layers that utilize ambient light to make the screen readable. In epaper mode (not really related to eink in terms of mechanics), the backlight goes off entirely. It's an awesome technology.

e-ink screens are very expensive compared to LCD. They also force devices to serve a single purpose, because the painfully slow refresh times of eink makes it poorly suited to many types of applications, including video and many types of games.

The number of hours listed in the article doesn't make a lot of sense. I recommend ignoring that part. Engadget has some good writers, but not all of them know what they're talking about. He appears to have gotten confused there.

The brilliance of a PixelQi device running on a decent OS (mobile or otherwise), is that you wouldn't be tied to just reading books from one store. Right now, AFAIK the only big commercial reader that supports Android is eReader (ereader.com/fictionwise, currently owned by B&N). I'd expect however that Amazon and B&N would both be eying Android as their next platform for expanding kindleware/nookware.

This is the most exciting ereader I've seen yet. There's no way I'd tie myself down to one major store with their proprietary hardware/software. And while it's nice that the nook runs Android and can be hacked to run unofficial applications, starting out with an open platform that doesn't need to be hacked is a dramatically better solution. To wit, one that is a full blown tablet with access to all manner of application types, rather than doing solo duty as an ereader.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Just to clarify, Pixel Qi screen tech is an LCD, but tweaked a little so that instead of using a backlight to fight ambient lighting, it has reflective layers that utilize ambient light to make the screen readable. In epaper mode (not really related to eink in terms of mechanics), the backlight goes off entirely. It's an awesome technology.

e-ink screens are very expensive compared to LCD. They also force devices to serve a single purpose, because the painfully slow refresh times of eink makes it poorly suited to many types of applications, including video and many types of games.

The number of hours listed in the article doesn't make a lot of sense. I recommend ignoring that part. Engadget has some good writers, but not all of them know what they're talking about. He appears to have gotten confused there.

The brilliance of a PixelQi device running on a decent OS (mobile or otherwise), is that you wouldn't be tied to just reading books from one store. Right now, AFAIK the only big commercial reader that supports Android is eReader (ereader.com/fictionwise, currently owned by B&N). I'd expect however that Amazon and B&N would both be eying Android as their next platform for expanding kindleware/nookware.

This is the most exciting ereader I've seen yet. There's no way I'd tie myself down to one major store with their proprietary hardware/software. And while it's nice that the nook runs Android and can be hacked to run unofficial applications, starting out with an open platform that doesn't need to be hacked is a dramatically better solution. To wit, one that is a full blown tablet with access to all manner of application types, rather than doing solo duty as an ereader.
I agree. I was really hoping for some decent alternative e-paper action (particularly LiquavistaBright as they can get a much better white reflectance than EPD/E-Ink), but so far, a prototype of an imperfect but interesting tablet is the best news I've seen so far from CES.

Also agree about the battery life. I don't recall Pixel Qi actively boasting about multiplying battery life anywhere near that much, nor have I heard of any standard 40-hour Tegra tablets. It's probably a mixup of several pieces of confused information, marketing, and hype.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I agree. I was really hoping for some decent alternative e-paper action (particularly LiquavistaBright as they can get a much better white reflectance than EPD/E-Ink), but so far, a prototype of an imperfect but interesting tablet is the best news I've seen so far from CES.
I hadn't heard of that before. I googled it and it sounds interesting enough.

I had a buddy telling me about a reflective layered LCD tech similar to what I had described to him about Pixel Qi, but he couldn't remember the name. It's supposed to be able to go backlight-less at much lower lighting levels. I love Pixel Qi for making cheaper low power screen tech into the market, and getting them on devices (I think there will be some laptops before June, if they're not out already); but I'm not attached to them as a final solution. Nor do I find Android especially compelling (yet). It still needs a little platform maturing. I generally agree that this is an imperfect device, but still exciting.

I actually hate Apple's approach towards control. But if they were to adopt a similar screen tech, and not tie someone to paying for 3g data as many devices do (upfront or otherwise), they could make an incredible ereader (amongst other things). Kindle, B&N and eReader all offer applications for the iPhone, and stanza is pretty popular, and that would allow a lot of freedom about which store you shopped at (if the rumored Apple Tablet uses the iPhone OS).

A decent sized color screen would also make magazines far more attractive for the ereading crowd.

Quote:
Also agree about the battery life.
Engadget should have read their own sourcing (from a past Notion Ink article Paul linked in this one).

Quote:
The company reckons that the integral Lithium-ion battery will hold good up to 48 hours standby, eight hours of high definition video playback or 16 hours of Internet surfing over WiFi. At its heart will be NVIDIA’s powerful, yet energy-saving, eight-core Tegra system-on-chip, which will drive the system at astonishing speeds while ensuring battery longevity.
It's not entirely clear from that what the battery life would be reading text in epaper mode. But if you get 8 hours of HD video per charge, I'm betting pretty high. I'd wager 18 - 24 hours. And that would be more than enough for me, especially considering the cost advantages and ability to do more than just read.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
stustaff
Wizard

this is starting to become the CLEAR winner of this form device for me what does anyone else think to the new info here

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/08/n...ideo-hands-on/

highlights are
-14mm in thickness
-1080p and HDMI out
-$300 and $800 even at $800 seems competitive?
-Q2 release
Old 01-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It does look sweet! The $800 estimate is for an unsubsidized version.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
Marseille
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
this is starting to become the CLEAR winner of this form device for me what does anyone else think to the new info here
I love that the company is focusing on magazines. Books are easy enough to get into place without help, thanks to apps from particular outlets. But good magazine subscriptions are harder to come by.

I'd probably have 3-4 subscriptions right now, but I hate the clutter magazines cause for me. I don't really want to throw away the ones I bothered buying, but I don't really want a stack of them either. A decent magazine app with decent formats and the ability to keep older copies in place for archival purposes would make me VERY happy.

HDMI out is a feature I hadn't noticed in prior lists, and that's also VERY cool. I like that my TP2 can do video out, but it's SD and the only adapters I'm aware of plug into RCA inputs.

Last edited by Marseille; 01-08-2010 at 04:19 PM.