Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #46
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Thank God!! I AM NOT ALONE!!!!!!!

Stitchawl
I've actually never seen it... but I remember seeing the "catch-phrase", but I'm sure as heck am old enough to have seen it if I had been from the US
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #47
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Me...

Whats Howdy Doodie Time?
Time for the best kid's show ever! Pre-dates 'The Mickey Mouse Club,' pre-dates 'Leave it to Beaver.' Even pre-dated 'Bilko' if I remember correctly. (Howdy came along right after "The Rootie Kazootie Show" went off the air. Howdy was the marionette star (Rootie was a hand puppet) along with Dilly Dally, Flub-a-dub, and Mr. Bluster puppets, and hosted by human Buffalo Bob, aided by Clarabell the Clown, Princes Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring and Chief Thunderthud! The audience sat in the Peanut Gallary. My first wife's claim to fame was that she was once a member of the Peanut Gallary! That could be why I married her!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #48
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Me...

Whats Howdy Doodie Time?
Sorry... I should've said "who on this side of the Atlantic doesn't know?"

Howdy Doody was a kids TV show starring Buffalo Bob (a man), Howdy Doody (a string puppet), and Clarabell (a clown, played by a man who never spoke on the air until the very last episode... when he said, "Goodbye, kids." snif!), recorded live in front of an audience of kids. Although few remember a single detail about the show beyond that (including me), Buffalo Bob's opening "What time is it?" followed by his and the kids singing "It's Howdy Doody time!" has become part of the American shared history lexicon.

I just saw an article today about the kids entering college in the U.S. being among the first to not know who is being referred to by the phrase, "Heeeere's Johnny!" (If you're one of them: Johnny Carson was the host of The Tonight Show before Jay Leno.)

My, how time does fly...

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 08-19-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #49
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Looks as if no one is old enough to remember
"say kids, what time is it?"
I guess I'm just getting old....

I knew it would happen sooner or later... I was really hoping for later.

Stitchawl
It's howdy Doody Time!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #50
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
And Clarabell later became Captain Kangaroo.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #51
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
And Clarabell later became Captain Kangaroo.
(Another kids' show, for you not-on-this-side-of-the-Atlantic guys. That one, I used to watch.)

As long as we're on kids' stuff:

When you find yourself in danger,
when you're threatened by a stranger,
when it looks like you will take a lickin'
(buck! buck! buck! buck!)
There is someone waiting who
will hurry up and rescue you,
just caaaaaaalll for Super Chicken.
(buckaw!)

Well, if you're afraid, you'll have to overlook it.
Besides you knew the job was dangerous when you took it!
(buckaw!)

He will drink his super sauce
and throw the bad guys for a loss
and he will bring 'em in alive and kickin'
There is one thing you should learn
when there is no one else to turn to
caaaaaaalll for Super Chicken.
Caaaaaaalll for Super Chicken!
(buckaw!)
Old 08-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #52
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Wasn't Super Chicken frequently shown along with George of the Jungle?

George, George, George of the Jungle!
.....watch out for that treeeeeee!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #53
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Wasn't Super Chicken frequently shown along with George of the Jungle?

George, George, George of the Jungle!
.....watch out for that treeeeeee!
Yup... that and...

Tom Slick!
Tom Slick!
Let me tell you why
he's the best of those good guys!
Tom Slick!
Tom Slick!
In the Thunderbolt Grease-slapper
when he's on your tail,
he won't quit because
you know there's no such word as "fail" to
Tom Slick!
Tom Slick!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #54
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I just saw an article today about the kids entering college in the U.S. being among the first to not know who is being referred to by the phrase, "Heeeere's Johnny!" (If you're one of them: Johnny Carson was the host of The Tonight Show before Jay Leno.)

My, how time does fly...
Down at Massimo's (icecream shop), the young teenage girl walking behind the counter was happily bopping and singing along to Hocus Pocus's "Here's Johnny":

which I think samples Jack's impression of the line in The Shining.

We were all surprised she even knew the song, as it was from 1993. We doubt she knew its origins (The Shining or Carson), but, hey, they're a constant surprise.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 08-19-2009 at 08:09 PM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #55
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Huckleberry Hound

The biggest show in town is Huckleberry Hound
For all you guys and gals
The biggest clown in town is Huckleberry Hound
With all his cartoon pals

Its Huckleberry fun, its for every one
So come on gather round
Get yourself all set, tune up your TV set
For Huckleberry Hound

That oh so merry, chuckelberry, Huckleberry Hound
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #56
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was playing guitar outside one day when some older teens stopped to listen. After I finished the song one asked the name of the piece. I said it was 'Suite:Judy Blue Eyes' by Crosby, Stills, and Nash.

The teen then said "Who are they?"

That was probably the first time I really realized just how much time had passed. I began to play Stills' "4+20" thinking, hey, this guy wrote and sung this song when he was 24 years old, singing the line "a quarter of my life is almost past." Now, more like three quarters. How time do fly.

Stitchawl
Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #57
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
I was playing guitar outside one day when some older teens stopped to listen. After I finished the song one asked the name of the piece. I said it was 'Suite:Judy Blue Eyes' by Crosby, Stills, and Nash.

The teen then said "Who are they?"

That was probably the first time I really realized just how much time had passed. I began to play Stills' "4+20" thinking, hey, this guy wrote and sung this song when he was 24 years old, singing the line "a quarter of my life is almost past." Now, more like three quarters. How time do fly.

Stitchawl
Memories of a John Sebastian song along the same lines ...

And now, a quarter of my life is almost past,
I think I've come to see myself at last,
And I see that the time I spent confused
Was the time that I spent without you
And I feel myself in bloom

So darling be home soon
I couldn't bear to wait an extra minute if you've dawlded
For the great relief of having you to talk to.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #58
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
R
I say R-A
R-A-G
R-A-G-G
R-A-G-G-M-O-P-P
Raggmopp!

BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 AM   #59
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Memories of a John Sebastian song along the same lines ...
You're correct. I was mixing up the two songs. It WAS "Darling be home soon!" Stephen Stills did write "4+20" when he was 24 yrs old, and I was playing it and singing it then too. But it was Sebastion, with the Loving Spoonful who had the lyrics 'a quarter of my life is almost past.' These days the radio plays 'oldies' from 2000....

Frightening.

Now, Les Paul has passed on, the radio no longer plays Johnny Mathis' '12th of Never,' raisins don't sing and dance... (actually, that might be a good thing,) and I have a lot less peer pressure.

Stitchawl
Old 08-20-2009, 03:34 AM   #60
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now, Les Paul has passed on, the radio no longer plays Johnny Mathis' '12th of Never,' raisins don't sing and dance... (actually, that might be a good thing,) and I have a lot less peer pressure.

Stitchawl
I know Michael Jackson, regardless of opinion of him, held a significant position in our collective pop-culture consciousness, and thus the media-attention was, even if arguably out of proportion, understandable. However I was somewhat disheartened at the lack of media attention garnered by the passing of Les Paul (at least down this way, anyway). It seems to me that his influence, though mostly indirect, on the history and development of modern music was deserving of greater coverage and corresponding respect. I know a lot of people might not know him, but, then, that seems a good reason to let his death remind us or inform us of his significance.

Ah, well. Maybe I'm just annoyed at the MJ-overkill (no pun intended).

"There are always people who don't want to make changes, who are set in their ways. It's just the same today. We know we are going to find new and better music." (Les Paul)

I hope he's right. I think I even believe it a little.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote