Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 01:51 AM   #16
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Sound recommendation there Seabound. But this isn't something we should rush into. Probably ought to discuss it a length in the various Forums. Maybe set up a poll. And we should sort out Zelda Pinwheel's avatar first. And maybe have a few meet ups on the subject.
Those are excellent suggestions, cassidym, and I would second all of them. I especially like your suggestion to schedule conferences to discuss the matter.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:04 AM   #17
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Technically, you don't have to make up your mind, but it probably helps. Just last week I spent three years learning the fine art of origami, and I made up my mind into a hat, a broach, and then a pterodactyl. I could have made it up into a pterodactyl-hat, but I find it musses up my long, flowing locks...which I guess is your point. Seabound, MAKE UP YOUR MIND, or end up with a bad hairdo.

Cheers,
Marc (What? It's after midnight? Whose "Eastern Time" is Alex referring to? Mine? The Ming Dynasty's? Hmm, might have to get out the water clock for accurate scheduling...)
(If the slowness of replies are noticeable, it is because I'm really a very slow reader. But usually I'm just slow, and I don't mean in my movements.)

Origami is cool.

Marc, the bad hairdo warning is almost enough to make me keep regular hours. Alas, it is my mind which keeps awake even though my body is done for the day, and the mind always wins.

As for the "Eastern Time" I had assumed Alex, excuse me, I mean Mr. Turcic, was referring to wherever the sun rises.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #18
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Hear hear, Seabound!! We could all use a gentle nudge from these boards.....some of us need a whack with a stick, but I"m concerned about the emotional toil that would be incurred......Perhaps, we could have an alternate site "ICE", (in case of emergency) where we could meet while this one was down.

Just a thought.

"HI! My name is Desertgrandma, and I'm a mobileread-aholic....Its been 8 hrs since I logged on, but truthfully, most of that was spent sleeping and on abolutions........."
Would that be the stick with the sharp prongs on it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Dear Ms. Pinwheel:

Yes, I vaguely recall that post of mine, now that you remind me of it. It is very clever of you to to notice the apparent contradictions between this and that post. But please allow me to explain myself.

It is a fact--and this is corroborated by Lilac's statement in this very thread--that these forums suffer a sharp decline in activity beginning around 10 PM to 11 PM Eastern. (Coincidentally, for some strange reason, this is around the same time that you disappear from these forums.) This MR dead time can last up to about 10 hours. (Again, coincidentally, the time when MR activity picks up happens around the same time you reappear in these forums.) In other words, MR dead time is a reality which I have learned to bravely accept. I am afraid not even Mr. Turcic has the power to remedy this situation. As far as disappointments go, I have suffered many with far more devastating consequences than this, and it is now only a mere irritation that everyone else logs out of MR when I log on.

Nevertheless, dead time notwithstanding, I still have free access to MR at all hours of the day. The forums still appear on my browser window, the many unread posts and threads still exist, and those quiet times invite the perusal of those posts no matter how arcane. And there is still that New Posts button at the top of the page which I am quite fond of pressing in the pathetic hope that someone will write a new post. In other words, never mind that everybody else leaves--I am still here.

Which is why I have put forward this new proposal to Mr. Turcic as I had outlined. I hope my explanations will help put to rest any misunderstandings that you had.

Kind regards,
Seabound
Of course no one has addressed the problem of times during the 24 hour period when there are no moderators in control - and that lets the idiocy and silliness really loose like a pitbull-terrior in a faux-china shop...

Last edited by GeoffC; 01-18-2009 at 04:59 AM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
We have moderators in charge?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #20
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
We have moderators in charge?
It's what they think ----
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I, for one, am under no such illusions.

I suppose if we want to take matters into our own hands (MOB RULES!) we could occasionally slashdot the MR site....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #22
GeoffC

///// .....
Old 01-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #23
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
No, that would be "slashes dots" not "slash dot."
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:33 AM   #24
GeoffC

my mum always tolled me i cudden spell
Old 01-20-2009, 05:38 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
And she never sent you to school to learn?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #26
GeoffC

I flaming started school at the age of 3 .... still didna 'elp ....
failed me english literature
scraped me english languidge ....

useless i be ....

2 old 2 change