Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I keep my data on my main drobo, and then back that up to another drobo. I also keep a copy of certain things (iTunes, calibre, audible books a few others) on my laptop. That's three different copies.
What's a "drobo"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #17
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's a "drobo"?
It's a consumer/small-business RAID-in-a-box device.

As for backups - I have the original (well original deDRM-ed) files in a folder on my desktop. Then I have my Calibre library, which is on Dropbox and there are 2 computers that regularly sync it and another 2 that less regularly do so. I also back-up my desktop to one of two 1Tb USB drives. One is attached to the computer and the other is in my desk drawer at work. I try to remember to swap then over about once a week. My backup is based on rsync and is incremental so if I wait too long it makes the backup take longer next time I swap.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #18
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I use CrashPlan, it's free for personal usage (unless you want to backup to their cloud, in which case there's a small charge). You set it up once and then can basically forget about it.

Multiple ways for it to backup:
*) To their cloud (payable service)
*) To an external hdd (free)
*) To another computer (free)
*) To an external hdd on another computer (free)
*) To a friends/family members remote computer (free)

It's quite handy if you want to do a backup between yourself and a family member since you get a remote backup at the same time and it's dead easy to configure. I backup all our PCs (win/lin and mac) to a an external hdd that's attached to a single computer that's on most of the time.

The pricing on the family plan version of crashplan+ which is their cloud based backup is quite reasonable, but I'm not keen on putting all my data in the cloud.

Other than initial setup, I spend 0 time each day doing anything backup related. I've restored 2 PCs worth of data fully after HDD failures and used it several times to restore a few files I deleted by mistake.

One extra nice part of crashplan is you don't have to backup to just a single destination, you can get redundancy by backing up to multiple places like a friend + external hdd and/or swap out the external hdd every few months so you have an offline backup that's a little out of date + your connected backup that's up to date.

The only part I'm not keen on is their versioning. It will keep (diff'd) copies of your files at various versioning cut off points, eg one different copy for the last 7 days, then one for each week for 4 weeks followed by one copy for each month. Doesn't really take up much space since it's differences only, but there's no option to wipe all but the most up to date versions other than deleting the backup data and letting it re-backup or removing that file from the backup, then adding it again.

That's a bit of a pain when you're only interested in versioning for say 1 year back at most and would like changes to disappear after that to reclaim some space.

FWIW: For many years I used RSync and later RSnapshot for backups, but I've found crashplan covers the same backup efficiency but provides additional features beyond it, but if they ever start charging for the free version I'll likely return to RSnapshot.

That's mainly because I don't really want to use the cloud part so the value is a little less to me. If they offered a paid version with the same features as crashplan+ but without the cloud bit (and included the versioning clean I mentioned above) I'd likely buy a license for several computers instead of going back to rsync.

Last edited by JoeD; 03-08-2013 at 07:36 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
We have a back up drive and are getting a safety deposit box to store said back up drive and important papers and the like.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
We have a back up drive and are getting a safety deposit box to store said back up drive and important papers and the like.
I'm not sold on safety boxes; you have to bring the drive back home to update your data, and this is the time when your drive is most fragile. And a royal pain in the neck.

It would be better to have an offsite storage that you can update remotely, say your office or a relative's home.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
What's a "drobo"?
In this day and age, you could ask your phone and you would get the answer so much faster.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My relatives all live a few thousand miles from me, so no go there. THe bank is a mile from my house. We have two drives, so one at home, one in the box. When we bring the updated one to the bank, we take home the one that has been sitting there. (shrugs)

I might look into a cloud based service, I'll have to see how much it costs.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
My relatives all live a few thousand miles from me, so no go there. THe bank is a mile from my house. We have two drives, so one at home, one in the box. When we bring the updated one to the bank, we take home the one that has been sitting there. (shrugs)
Your process sounds fine to me. I do the same with my backup drives, except that I keep the backup at work. I swap the home and work drives once a week.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #24
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I use CrashPlan, it's free for personal usage (unless you want to backup to their cloud, in which case there's a small charge). You set it up once and then can basically forget about it.
I second CrashPlan. It's very easy to set up and costs $60 a year if you pay for a full year.

I've scheduled daily image backups of my SSD boot drive using Reflect. These are stored on an external drive.

For documents, books, pictures, and digital video I use CrashPlan to backup locally and to company's servers. It gives me some piece of mind to know that family pictures and videos are always stored in three places, one of which is off-site.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #25
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
It's a consumer/small-business RAID-in-a-box device.

As for backups - I have the original (well original deDRM-ed) files in a folder on my desktop. Then I have my Calibre library, which is on Dropbox and there are 2 computers that regularly sync it and another 2 that less regularly do so. I also back-up my desktop to one of two 1Tb USB drives. One is attached to the computer and the other is in my desk drawer at work. I try to remember to swap then over about once a week. My backup is based on rsync and is incremental so if I wait too long it makes the backup take longer next time I swap.
Yep, it has the advantage in that if one disk in the disk array goes bad, you just replace it without loosing any data.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #26
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
What's a "drobo"?
I had a Drobo. The damned thing had the fan hard soldered into it. The fan went, and along with it went the entire machine. Their sales department was useless in determining if future incarnations had this same flaw, they simply wouldn't respond. A $10 part on a $500 unit.

I now have multiple single drive backups.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #27
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle
I backup onto two internal drives on my PC. I also backup onto two external USB hard-drives. I only ever plug one of them into the PC at a time. That way, if I get hit by a lightning strike in the middle of a backup that somehow gets past my UPS and fries all the connected drives, there's always the disconnected one to fall back on. My "offsite storage" consists of keeping a USB drive in the glove compartment of my car. If the lightning strike burns down the house, garage and car.... oh well.

A more likely scenario is someone steals the car or breaks in and takes the drive. To deal with that, I use Folderlock to encrypt the drive.

I've got a few really really important files on DropBox, SkyDrive and Google Drive that get backed up in real time.
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Wouldn't it be just as easy to put the backup drive in one of those small lockable fireproof safe's that you can carry round like a small suitcase?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #29
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
we have 3 x 16gig sticks, books and photos onto them, and stored in a fire proof safe. They take up no room. I admit I am slack this year at updating them as I am not buying books on mass as i was building my library so I have a temp backup of those not on the sticks until I have enough worth bothering to backup. Replacing a dozen books is far easier if my entire computer system went eating more than one drive than getting to the safe more often.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I am less worried about books, I buy from Amazon so getting them back is easy enough. I do have them backed up just in case something happens to my Amazon account.