Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Japanese version

Hi all!

Happy Kindle user for a little more than a year. Only drawback for me was that Japanese Amazon never released Kindle books by Japanese authors. Being on a short visit in Japan I decided to take a look at the Sony Reader and picked up the Japanese PRS-350. I really like the form factor and in a way I'm oddly taken by the typically quirky Japanese software (like finding bookmaks by looking for notes). Unfortunately I become tied in to Sony's Japanese eco-system and one of the oddities is that in order to register my PRS-350 and get access to their Japanese bookstore I need to have a Japanese mobile phone based e-mail address (since I don't live in Japan I can't get that). So I am still not able to purchase books.
Now, for a bunch of questions:
1) Anyone here with access to Sony's Japanese bookstore?
2) When buying non-Japanese books, where do you do that?
3) Is there transfer software available for Android?
4) It comes with support for English dictionaries, does it also support Japanese dictionaries?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have been trying to find info on Japanese boards (haven't found anything lke Mobileread) and it seems that owners of the Japan issued Sony Readers can't read books from Sony's US based store. Do you all deal with Adobe's DRM? How can I see on the device if it is mplemented?
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I only have the Sony 505 right now, so I'm not much help. Hopefully, someone will chime in with some advice. On my 505, the information setting shows the Adobe logo and my authorization. I can also click on each book's information on my device to see format. I don't have it with me right now, so can't really check.

I don't know if it will help, but I found the below information from the thread: Japan Launch - December 10 I hope you get it figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
Japanese Product Manuals

PRS-350: http://www.sony.jp/ServiceArea/impdf...70PRS-350.html
PRS-650: http://www.sony.jp/ServiceArea/impdf...10PRS-650.html

Two dictionaries included, an English dictionary and an English->Japanese. (No Japanese only or J->E).

Supported file types are interesting...no support for DRM-d EPUB? No LRF either.

DRM-protected:
XDMF files (.mhn)

NON-DRM:
XDMF files (.zbf)
epub
pdf
txt

(Downloadable samples from the store are ".mbbs" --not sure what this is).

Sony "Book Transfer" software is a bit different than the English. Can't do much with it (yet) without registering a device. Claims only to be compatible with -350 and -650s so I doubt it would have my fun with my -300!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

It is a good start. Kind of confusing that they seem to be so different. Kind of typical for Japanese makers and their domestic market though.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
unicornax
unicornax began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Hello I am new here. Having just sold my old PRS-650 and waiting for my new T1 of Japanese edition.
Since I live in JP, so
1) Anyone here with access to Sony's Japanese bookstore?
yep, books are easily accessable in the store but I am afraid I can't apply my Japanese sony account to US reader store.
2) When buying non-Japanese books, where do you do that?
There are some english book sold at Japanese reader store as well. Or just collect the epub books. Or scan books by myself.
3) Is there transfer software available for Android?
umm, I don't think so...
4) It comes with support for English dictionaries, does it also support Japanese dictionaries?
T1 has this function and 650 & 350 don't. That's the reason I sold my 650 for T1.
unicornax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
dictionaries, eco-system, japan