Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Penguin launches first 'Digi-Novel'

I remember this being mentioned a while back on the forums. Looks like the first one came out today.

Quote:
Bringing the innovation that garnered Anthony E. Zuiker multiple Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, he has merged film, literature and the internet to give us the first-ever digi-novelTM: Level 26: Dark Origins.

Quote:
Every 20 pages of gripping prose in Level 26 is followed by Zuiker's latest innovation, the cyber-bridge—a link and passcode where readers can log in and watch high-quality footage that picks up exactly where the book leaves off. Zuiker has partnered with EQAL—the creative web team behind the infamous "lonleygirl15" hoax on YouTube—to create www.level26.com. In addition to hosting the cyber-bridges and a blog, this interactive website contains special behind-the-scenes footage, bonus material, and provides a full social network experience for fans. Sure, you can read straight through the book and not miss any of the plot—but those who log on will enjoy an enhanced experience: clips containing A-list Hollywood actors, crime scene documents, and special interactive features like a direct phone call or text from the novel's villain.

http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pa...0909&attr=home
http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/n...gi-novel_N.htm
http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/09/07...eils-level-26/

http://www.level26.com/

Not really interested in this myself, but thought someone might be.

`
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
meh, why ruin a perfectly good book with having to stop and watch a video?!

(maybe I'm just gettin' to old for this stuff!)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

(maybe I'm just gettin' to old for this stuff!)
Nope, I'm with you there. Publishers seem to feel the need to make a book "something more". I guess time will tell if these efforts will be popular or not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i've read this somewhere on this forum. sounds and feels like "Heroes" for me.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Gimmick. And not a very good one at that. This is already filed under 'Meh' for 'Moribund'.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
One couldn't have put it better.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
I'm not too worried, it probably wasn't a very good book to begin with

Just another revolution I can safely ignore. And for once I probably won't be the only one
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:23 AM   #8
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Just another revolution I can safely ignore. And for once I probably won't be the only one
...if it's a revolution...

Really, when this morning I saw the title of the thread in the digest I hoped they were saying something more open to the market outside UK (with some kind of formulation, who knows ). That would be, if not a revolution, surely a good change...
Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
a pretty sad look at publishers if they, of all people/businesses, don't feel that reading is enough.

on the other hand, publishers don't seem to understand people who read at all, and this silly idea seems to be focused at non-readers. note that they used a popular tv show for their launch rather than the work of a best-selling author. the people this is aimed at won't have the slightest interest in reading the pages around the video. the rest of us don't want a piece of video interrupting our reading. i know i don't.

on the other hand, i suppose the videos are clips from the show, so no one had to actually shoot anything - just cut out a few short clips and write around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Nope, I'm with you there. Publishers seem to feel the need to make a book "something more". I guess time will tell if these efforts will be popular or not.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
a pretty sad look at publishers if they, of all people/businesses, don't feel that reading is enough.

on the other hand, publishers don't seem to understand people who read at all, and this silly idea seems to be focused at non-readers. note that they used a popular tv show for their launch rather than the work of a best-selling author. the people this is aimed at won't have the slightest interest in reading the pages around the video. the rest of us don't want a piece of video interrupting our reading. i know i don't.

on the other hand, i suppose the videos are clips from the show, so no one had to actually shoot anything - just cut out a few short clips and write around them.
DITTO.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi, all, I'd like to play devil's advocate.

I'm an author and write both graphic novels as well as novels. This is just another way to tell a story. I assume they're taking advantage of two things. One is that books are really good at delivering information, thoughts, and what is film terms is sometimes call sequel. Video is really good at action and sex. Why not put them together. Trick would be to make them more seamless. The second thing, what could make this VERY interesting is the interactivity component. Phone calls for prerecorded messages? That doesn't sound very interesting, but I wouldn't mind being pushed new information, or clues via email or Facebook, or whatever. The more I can be placed in the story the better.

What bugs me is that they say this is the first diginovel - BS - there is a ton of interactive content mixing media on the Internet. Alternate reality games are the best example. Some of them really worked. Some didn't. This isn't a revolution. But some stories will fit it better than others.

Michael F Stewart
Author of 24 Bones, a supernatural thriller
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Maybe OK for those reading on a Wifi (or something similar) PDA type device, But I ain't dropping my EZ reader to race to my PC to access a URL , watch a video and come back to my EZ reader........
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the "digi-novels" aren't interactive content per se. they are specifically part ebook and part video. most of the non readers i know wouldn't bother with this when they could just rent or watch a video.

and not a single person who reads that i know likes to be interupted when they're reading (i wouldn't consider web surfing to be reading even if there's reading there) and don't like having their imagination derailed by seeing a particular rendition of the characters. one of the main reasons i like to read is that my imagination makes the characters, scenery, tones of voice, etc, my own.

reading allows me to get very involved and focused on what i'm reading. in a sense, i am there and then, in the story. anything that interferes with that ruins the entire experience for me. that is equally true for graphic novels, of which i have many, where the words and images are both part of the whole experience, married together rather than alternating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFStewart View Post
Hi, all, I'd like to play devil's advocate.

I'm an author and write both graphic novels as well as novels. This is just another way to tell a story. I assume they're taking advantage of two things. One is that books are really good at delivering information, thoughts, and what is film terms is sometimes call sequel. Video is really good at action and sex. Why not put them together. Trick would be to make them more seamless. The second thing, what could make this VERY interesting is the interactivity component. Phone calls for prerecorded messages? That doesn't sound very interesting, but I wouldn't mind being pushed new information, or clues via email or Facebook, or whatever. The more I can be placed in the story the better.

What bugs me is that they say this is the first diginovel - BS - there is a ton of interactive content mixing media on the Internet. Alternate reality games are the best example. Some of them really worked. Some didn't. This isn't a revolution. But some stories will fit it better than others.

Michael F Stewart
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It's an interesting concept, but this is in early stages. I think once computers are fast enough to create incredible realism in characters (see recent computer games) and they can combine the movie experience (with computers AI automatically tailoring environments to your actions) with the work of authors, then it is something interesting.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #15
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
the "digi-novels" aren't interactive content per se. they are specifically part ebook and part video. most of the non readers i know wouldn't bother with this when they could just rent or watch a video.

and not a single person who reads that i know likes to be interupted when they're reading
I don't disagree. I don't think they've nailed it. If anything they need to go further, much further. But I do like where it is headed. If a mobilereader had video as well this might work better. The whole scene/sequel thing with less interruption (back to the sex scene - most authors write them poorly). Ideally however, this becomes a new from of media-story - not a 'digi-novel' - an internet based narrative that combines all types of media and interactive components.

My two cents.

Michael F Stewart
Available on Kindle and Multiformat
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote