Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
How are geographic restrictions affecting you?

Over the past few months (particularly since the start of the agency debacle) I have noticed that geo-restrictions have become, well, more restricting. It used to be that there were some bookshops that didn't pay as much attention to geo-restrictions, but these no longer seem to exist.

Personally, I can't be bothered jumping through hoops to try and circumvent the geo-restrictions, and I also don't go to the darknet for books that I don't already own - personally I feel that I don't have a right to read something that I haven't acquired legitimately, but this is my personal opinion. The outcome of this position is that there are many books that I would love to buy and read but can't and don't. I would estimate that over 95% of the books on my wishlist are geo-restricted.

The geo-restrictions that frustrate me the most are for books by local (NZ and Aus) authors where the ebooks are available in US/UK but not downunder. It's very frustrating (infuriating some days) and there are no winners.

So I'm wondering ... how many books on your wishlist are geo-restricted, and how do you deal with it.
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Geographic restrictions are the number one issue for me currently regarding the way the publishers distribute books.

I do not care too much about DRM or even the increasing prices of ebooks if I cannot purchase those ebooks to start with.

Just recently, after the Agency 5 rorts, I lost over two thirds of my purchased Diesel bookshelf purely to geo restrictions. Fortunately, the CEO of Diesel was happy to refund me over US$100 for the loss of my ebooks, a 100% refund for what it is worth. I have not gone through the list at Fictionwise as yet but will do so. BTW, I lost the downloaded ebooks when my PC HDD crashed and I discovered my backup was corrupt.

Many were ebooks in a series that were geo restricted whilst earlier ebooks in the series remained accessible.

It takes a lot of effort now to circumvent these restrictions. Most times I am successful, other times I am not. So I look elsewhere for the book I want to purchase but cannot.

I would hazard a guess that my story is identical to many other ebook readers residing outside of the US/CAN region where geo restrictions do not factor so heavily if not at all. As such I am not so sure that a lot of ebook readers living in those regions even understand just how insidious this system has become. Sympathetic? For certain. Fully understanding? No.

To my belief, geo restrictions are the single most reason why ebook piracy is increasing. DRM comes second to this reason.

If these unnecessary restrictions were removed, then I am sure piracy would decrease and ebook sales would surge. This would be particularly true with Amazon, when over half of the ebooks for sale are not available to Australians.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It has stopped me from buying books. Since april 1st, I've only bought one book (and that was last week, a book I've been waiting for for almost a year). I haven't even looked at what new books are available, as I know I probably won't be able to buy them anyway. I'm reading from my huge to-read list right now.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
whiz16
whiz16 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
amazon / sony / B&N does not sell to my country , so if the ebook is exclusive to them. then yeah.. i'm EXTREMELY geo-restricted
whiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
As geo-restrictions are easy to circumvent they do not bother me.
Here in the Netherlands I am buying books from B&N (for my Nook), Kobobooks and Fictionwise without a problem.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
As geo-restrictions are easy to circumvent they do not bother me.
Here in the Netherlands I am buying books from B&N (for my Nook), Kobobooks and Fictionwise without a problem.
How do you buy from B&N?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I agree, how do you buy from B&N. I haven't managed. Sony works with a trick.

Man, I *really* hate geo-restrictions.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #8
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I'm from Turkey, and I can any book I want from U.S. (including B&N ebooks) with this program: http://proxpn.com/

You can use any U.S. VPN you want. But to just buy books, a free one like this would do fine.

Last edited by GERGE; 08-05-2010 at 03:46 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:45 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I agree, how do you buy from B&N. I haven't managed. Sony works with a trick.

Man, I *really* hate geo-restrictions.
That trick meaning trying to get gift certificates?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:47 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Things are getting better for me. There are still books I can't get, but now books that are geo-restricted by US publishers are starting to be available to me (France) from UK publishers and stores. And more importantly probably, I am starting to see a growing number of French books from French publishers and stores, so on the whole I feel better about the quantity and quality available to me. Not about prices, though, those are going up all the time
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, in this global economy you're not allowed to find the cheapest solution. You're required to go with the one "they" tell you to take...
Old 08-05-2010, 03:59 AM   #12
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
When I first installed the Sony software, I turned off my Internet connection, and put my location down as being in the US. I also turned off automatic update for the software. Then I turned my connection on, and it was clear sailing.

I do the same thing anytime there is going to be IP readings for connection. So far so good. Obviously this doesn't work for 'hard copies' or ordering from Amazon of products needing to be shipped.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:01 AM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I still can buy books anywhere with the usual tricks, so I take those restrictions in stride. As much as we dislike them, they won't go away soon, since matters are very complicated for the distributors and sellers.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
When I first installed the Sony software, I turned off my Internet connection, and put my location down as being in the US. I also turned off automatic update for the software. Then I turned my connection on, and it was clear sailing.

I do the same thing anytime there is going to be IP readings for connection. So far so good. Obviously this doesn't work for 'hard copies' or ordering from Amazon of products needing to be shipped.

Stitchawl
And how do you buy the books? I understood you need an US address...
Old 08-05-2010, 04:15 AM   #15
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I have totally abandoned my Fictionwise account over geo restrictions. I found I was going to the effort of choosing a book and only once I tried to pay for it was I informed that I was not permitted to purchase it. Perhaps this has been changed since I was last at Fictionwise but I am now out of the habit of going to that site.

Most annoying is a book series where book 3 and 4 of a 6 book series are not available. Go figure
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote