Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #15316
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Hmm, I'm kind of glad I read Among Others without first reading that blurb. A lot of that information you infer quite slowly through filling in the blanks, and it seems a bit much to just plonk it all down there. On the other hand, I guess I wouldn't read a book without some idea of what it was about. (In this case, I read it because it was on last year's Hugo ballot.)
It's an odd book so far. But I look forward to getting into the meat of the story.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #15317
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm just about to begin a re-read of Homer's "Illiad." For some reason, the voice of 'Siri' on my phone makes me think of Helen...

Stitchawl
Achilles: Get me my mead!

Helen: Shall I search the web for "get me my mead"?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #15318
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Aughhh. I missed buying the previous one in the series. And that one's now $9.99. Bother, bother, bother, bother!

Well, I'll move on to How Dark the World Becomes by Frank Chadwick. This is a new author to me. One I wouldn't have bought except for it being in the February Bundle.
When did BAEN raise their prices?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #15319
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wouldn't dream of recommending "Finnegan's Wake" to anyone. It's completely unreadable. That's why I recommended "Ulysses", which is a lot more accessible.
Ulysses is an excellent book to try to read if you are having trouble sleeping.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #15320
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next is 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Lots of you have said this is worth reading, so I am going to try it. It has been 20 years since I last read anything by SK.
Don't start 11/22/63 unless you have a lot of free time to read. It's that sort of book that once you start, you'll need the free time to just sit and read. It's very good.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #15321
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's actually the specific reason that I recommended the Richard Lattimore translation to you. I've read numerous different translations, and the Lattimore one is by far the best in giving you the "feel" of the Greek verse. For people who can't read the Greek original, Lattimore is as close as you can get to the "experience" of doing so.

I'll have to pick up a copy and try it. It will be an interesting comparison. Thanks for the recommendation.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #15322
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I've just started reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides tonight while my daughter was roller skating. Her roller skating nights are my reading nights. So far it's very good.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #15323
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't start 11/22/63 unless you have a lot of free time to read. It's that sort of book that once you start, you'll need the free time to just sit and read. It's very good.
Too late.

I don't worry too much about having enough free time - the only times I can read are on the train to/from work and sometimes at lunch. I would like to read more, but with 2 little ones around it just doesn't work for me at home. The train is quieter.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #15324
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When did BAEN raise their prices?
See:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198220
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #15325
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Put about 200 pages into PC Hodgell's The Godslayer Chronicles before I put it down for now. It simply wasn't going anywhere.

Powered through JL Bourne's Day by Day Armageddon:Shattered Hourglass. Meh, one of the most horribly rushed endings to a trilogy I've ever seen.

About to start Cordelia's Honor by Bujold.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #15326
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I've just started reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides tonight while my daughter was roller skating. Her roller skating nights are my reading nights. So far it's very good.
Great book. I liked his The Marriage Plot as well.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #15327
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished the second Poirot novel, The Murder on the Links, last night. I enjoyed it a lot. It feels so effortless.

I'm moving on to Hunting Party by Elizabeth Moon, the first Serrano book, for one of my sub-challenges. One of the few Baen ebooks I've actually paid for, and even then it was a massive $4 for the whole trilogy. I'm not sure how much it costs at post-amazon Baen.
DrNefario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #15328
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Put about 200 pages into PC Hodgell's The Godslayer Chronicles before I put it down for now. It simply wasn't going anywhere.
A slow start, but I enjoyed it. It gets a lot better towards the end.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #15329
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
How Dark the World Becomes by Frank Chadwick. This is a new author to me. One I wouldn't have bought except for it being in the February Bundle.
A most enjoyable Crime/Mil SF story. I'd like to see more set in this universe, and I'll certainly keep an eye out for more by this author.

Next up: another from the February Baen bundle: Keeper of the King by P. N. Elrod
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #15330
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Finished China Mieville's Kraken, good story spoiled by bad writing. Not a keeper.

Now onto Greg Bear's Forge of God. MUCH better!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote