Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
jpt
Enthusiast
jpt began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC; Nokia 770; White EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
Battery Drain with PDFs and/or RTFs?

Hey--

I'm running the latest Astak firmware. I usually use Mobipocket files for my ebooks. Lately, however, I've been viewing PDFs (~10 page ones that are printouts from PowerPoint -- with 6 slides per page, occasionally zooming in and out and/or using reflow), and using RTFs for ebooks (using CoolReader, of course). I've found that the battery life is significantly impacted -- I usually lose at least one bar during the day, and yesterday, it went as low as only one bar left.

Any idea what's causing this? I haven't quite kept up on the latest firmware issues, but I'm assuming it's CoolReader, as it takes several seconds to load/index/paginate books (and has to do so again whenever the layout changes. If this is the problem, is there anything I should do to try to fix it? Would the lBook firmware work better?

Thanks,

-- J.P.
jpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt View Post
Would the lBook firmware work better?
The Lbook firmware from 22 June 2010 would probably work MUCH better. It works very well for me anyway.

5" PocketPRO
http://www.lbook.ua/templates/files/...p-20100622.zip

6" EZReader
http://www.lbook.ua/templates/files/...e-20100622.zip
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
jpt
Enthusiast

Thanks. I'm running it; I'll have to see how well it works battery-wise. I do have another issue -- I think the lBook firmware's copy of CoolReader seems to be generating corrupt cache files. I have to keep deleting them to open some of my books!

Any ideas?

-- J.P.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. I'm running it; I'll have to see how well it works battery-wise. I do have another issue -- I think the lBook firmware's copy of CoolReader seems to be generating corrupt cache files. I have to keep deleting them to open some of my books!

Any ideas?

-- J.P.
I think that I may also have noticed that on my 5" PocketPRO when reading directly from the SD card, but no problem when using only the internal memory. On my 6" Hanlin V3 (EZReader) it works fine both ways so far. I put the problem down to the generally buggy nature of my own PocketPRO, but maybe the problem is more widespread than that?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
jpt
Enthusiast

Ah.

Seems the thing also ignores the lock switch on my SD card... figured that would prevent it from writing to it...

-- J.P.
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Ah.

Seems the thing also ignores the lock switch on my SD card... figured that would prevent it from writing to it...

-- J.P.
Everything about what you read on the SD card is stored there.

Last Read (book and location) , Bookmarks....

Locking should be honored, but should only pop a message:

"SD Card is Locked.

Having a Locked card may actually keep the card in a "Retry loop" trying to save your current location.

Unlock, if you wish to use this SD-CARD"

and not let you proceed past the directories (This would allow a LBook type Copy to be done), no book viewing.

Last edited by theducks; 07-02-2010 at 11:40 AM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
jpt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Everything about what you read on the SD card is stored there.

Last Read (book and location) , Bookmarks....

Locking should be honored, but should only pop a message:

"SD Card is Locked.

Having a Locked card may actually keep the card in a "Retry loop" trying to save your current location.

Unlock, if you wish to use this SD-CARD"

and not let you proceed past the directories (This would allow a LBook type Copy to be done), no book viewing.
It doesn't seem to do that... weird. Anyway, the battery life is much better -- it finally went down a bar today, and I charged it last weekend. The lBook firmware is quite nice.

-- J.P.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:00 AM   #8
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
I also have the cache issue. It's related to font changes imho.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
I also have the cache issue. It's related to font changes imho.
Can you explain if your problem is with the cache on the SD card or with the cache in internal memory? The reason that I ask is because I only seem to have a problem with my PP when the cache is on the SD card. On my 6" reader there seems to be no problem either way. I am beginning to suspect that the PP is just a bit unreliable with it's SD writes. Possibly related to the problem that some PP devices have with USB2.0?
Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I just delete the cache every time I pop my SD card into my PC. I guess it's old habit of mine with anything that has a cache. I haven't had a issue with it yet though. It would be great if they could add a clean cache option to the firmware. Even if you delete a book from the card it stays in the cache making you have to manually delete it just like the Restore folder.

I can change fonts without problems. The other day I went through all my fonts viewing them in Coolreader then went back to reading without any problem. I love I can have as many fonts I want in CR!

Maybe it's the type of SD Card? I'm using a Sandisk SDHC 8GB.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just delete the cache every time I pop my SD card into my PC. I guess it's old habit of mine with anything that has a cache. I haven't had a issue with it yet though. It would be great if they could add a clean cache option to the firmware. Even if you delete a book from the card it stays in the cache making you have to manually delete it just like the Restore folder.
Why would you mess with the Restore folder?
I believe that if you remove/rename the book, the folder cleans up the obsolete entries.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I suppose I don't have to now I have a delete book option with the Lbook firmware before after I finished a book I would just leave it on there after while the folder was just full of files so I would delete them. I like my SD Card neat and Tidy. I delete the Digital Editions folder too when I accidentally open up a EPUB in ADE instead of CR. I wish it was the other way around, short press CR and long press ADE. I can never get the press long enough sometimes. lol
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #13
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Can you explain if your problem is with the cache on the SD card or with the cache in internal memory? The reason that I ask is because I only seem to have a problem with my PP when the cache is on the SD card. On my 6" reader there seems to be no problem either way. I am beginning to suspect that the PP is just a bit unreliable with it's SD writes. Possibly related to the problem that some PP devices have with USB2.0?
A bit off-topic at this point, but that's ok.

The reason I believe it is related to font changes is because it seems to get triggered when I pound it by making font changes and size changes repeatedly and then exiting the book. I don't recall it happening with older versions of the firmware. I haven't tried with the internal memory only. I tend to prefer using the card because it's easier to pop it in and out of a reader. The problem doesn't seem to occur if one doesn't do much if any changes with fonts and sizes, likewise using the non-coolreader readers like the pdf module.

It's unfortunate because the non-technical person will not know how to erase the cache directory or even what the problem is.. all they'll see is that the book no longer opens.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:07 AM   #14
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
A bit off-topic at this point, but that's ok.

The reason I believe it is related to font changes is because it seems to get triggered when I pound it by making font changes and size changes repeatedly and then exiting the book. I don't recall it happening with older versions of the firmware. I haven't tried with the internal memory only. I tend to prefer using the card because it's easier to pop it in and out of a reader. The problem doesn't seem to occur if one doesn't do much if any changes with fonts and sizes, likewise using the non-coolreader readers like the pdf module.
That makes sense since those actions are all going to cause the cache to be rewritten, and the more writes that occur will provide more chances for a write failure.
Quote:
It's unfortunate because the non-technical person will not know how to erase the cache directory or even what the problem is.
Yes it does seem unfortunate that the PocketPRO is not more reliable at writing to the SD. Now that I put the cache in internal PocketPRO memory I have not yet seen the problem reappear and it never has occurred on my 6" reader.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Sunspark
Zealot

[QUOTE=Dave_S;1001922Yes it does seem unfortunate that the PocketPRO is not more reliable at writing to the SD. Now that I put the cache in internal PocketPRO memory I have not yet seen the problem reappear and it never has occurred on my 6" reader.[/QUOTE]

I believe a newer linux kernel would go a long way toward fixing this. But for some reason manufacturers never seem to update the kernel even though by doing so you usually get better driver support for things like flash devices.

The kernel hasn't been updated once since the PP was released. It is the kernel that interfaces with the hardware components.