Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
bodkin
bodkin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
In the UK, should I upgrade my 505 to a kindle?

Hi, I have used and loved my prs-505 over the last year, but I am sorly tempted my the Kindle and its book store, do I upgrade, or would it be a waste of money. Please help :P
bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
It comes down to how much you value the ease of access to the Kindle Store and a dictionary, but if you've already got a working eBook Reader, then it's quite a big cost to justify, particularly as the wireless access that we'll get is much more feature-restricted than the US Kindle access.

I guess your first step should be to try & get an idea of the books you'd be likely to buy (and possibly the ones you have bought over the past year) and compare their price & availability from the Kindle store vs the various stores selling EPUB titles (Waterstones, WHS, etc - (See my UK-focussed "Where to get eBooks" article for links). That should help in summarizing the differences as they'd apply to your own usage, anyway.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
bodkin

Cheers for your help, the price seem either the same or a little bit more one the kindle. I think im going to wait for a UK carrier to work with Amazon, so I can buy the books in GBP and aviod the wireless charge
Old 11-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
bodkin

Any thoughts on the prs-600?
Old 11-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Personally, I'd just stick with my 505 but that's because while the annotations & dictionary of the 600 would be nice, for my usage they're not critical but, that's a very personal evaluation. If I didn't have the 505 already though, it'd be a tough choice between the 300 & the 600, as that would also add in the difference between the 6" screen...

If Sony had announced a reader that could display a 'standard' PDF book in a reasonable size, then I'd have been saving hard, but personally I expect to be able to resist upgrading for a while, as while there are a few new features that I'd like, there's nothing out or even with an estimated delivery date that grabs me at the moment.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
bodkin

Cheers for your help, I think I will just stick with the 505 till the UK stops getting such a raw deal compared to the US
Old 11-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Wise decision, Bodkin. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have both a 600 and the Kindle. If I had to choose one to keep, it would be the PRS-600. Yes, the wireless download of the Kindle is nice, but I think personally the PRS-600 is "nicer" all around.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
bodkin

Cheers for your help guys, I love shiny new gadgets, but reading around I see the prs-505 may well be the cream of the crop anyway