Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #16
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm afraid your information is out of date.
Mac is nearly 1/10 of total market, and over 1/9 of Windows.
Yep, you're right, I listed old data. Still a very small marketshare but has grown some since I bought my daughter her the seemingly mandatory "MacBook to go to college" a couple years ago.

Best of luck with Mac owners getting all the same access that PC users have. But I'll rate your odds right up there with Kindle owners getting folders.

Wish it were easier to level the playing field on software and hardware interfaces, but it always comes down to a $ decision unless an angry Mac owner ports the software pro bono. And while it remains a $ decision, the 10% marketshare is probably still well shy of the breakeven point for many developers. But tools improve and I think that's the best hope for Mac owners gaining equitable access to PC software. Look at what VMware and such has done.

And for the record, I have been a Mac owner over the years (five Macs between 1989 and now) and I like them. But every time I've had Macs as my only machine, I've pissed and moaned about having to pay more to get less access and lesser capability (chip speed, hard drive size, plug and play, etc.). So eventually I've abandoned Macs altogether...except for letting my daughter enjoy her fling with a Mac.

And this is so off-topic from this threads's purpose that I'm sure the thread owner should deduct some karma from my account.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think Mac usage is growing... especially among developers. Guess what type of PC you need to develop for the iPhone/iPod Touch...

YOU GUESSED... a Mac...

Many developers see writting an iPhone app, putting it into the App Store for $.99 or something is a great way to make some extra cash. Apple does all the fullfillment, and you get a check. IF you get lucy you might have a runaway success and make a nice chunck of change.

The switch to Intel chips and the easy availability of VM software like Parallels, VM Ware and the free Virtual Box to still be able to run Windows apps on your Mac is helping alot too. (I say this as I type from my iMac.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think Mac usage is growing... especially among developers. Guess what type of PC you need to develop for the iPhone/iPod Touch...

YOU GUESSED... a Mac...

Many developers see writting an iPhone app, putting it into the App Store for $.99 or something is a great way to make some extra cash. Apple does all the fullfillment, and you get a check. IF you get lucy you might have a runaway success and make a nice chunck of change.

The switch to Intel chips and the easy availability of VM software like Parallels, VM Ware and the free Virtual Box to still be able to run Windows apps on your Mac is helping alot too. (I say this as I type from my iMac.)

BOb
I read a pretty cool story about a guy who made a game for the iPhone on Apps, and now a year later is $400k richer. Sigh, I wish I had those skills.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
I can run the Sony software on my MacBook & IMac but have to use VM Fussionware running windows. Sony said it was not possible but it works fine. However glad I found this site which lead me to Calibrate which is better IMHO anyway.
VmWare fusion makes possible to run the Sony Software on a virtual Windows XP or Vista machine. That's true, but there's one caveat : never try flashing any USB-based device from a virtual machine, or you'll most certainly brick your device !
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
VmWare fusion makes possible to run the Sony Software on a virtual Windows XP or Vista machine. That's true, but there's one caveat : never try flashing any USB-based device from a virtual machine, or you'll most certainly brick your device !
Except for all the people that have reported that they have done it with no problem. I think "most certainly" isn't really correct.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #21
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
The Sony newsletter said a Mac compatible version of the software will be available to download at the end of summer 2009 ^^
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Best of luck with Mac owners getting all the same access that PC users have. But I'll rate your odds right up there with Kindle owners getting folders.
It appears I may eat crow soon since Sony announced Mac support "soon". I'm sure Kindle owners hope that means the second half of my doubt above comes true also.

Anyone else want me to prognosticate anything that will occur exactly the opposite within days of me posting it? I seem to have a penchant for being wrong on ebook/ereader forecasting!
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50418 for a discussion on eBook Library for the MAC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote