Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
stevierg
stevierg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
My love and hate

So I've been a Sony Reader 505 for sometime now, but with the release of the Kindle 2 I decided to jump ship.

I love the Sony Reader, I love the screen, I love the size of the device and the quality of the device, but the Sony eBook store charging double for a couple books compared to the Amazon store tipped me over the edge and to eBay the Sony Reader went.

So my Kindle 2 arrived earlier last week and I love it.

The screen is slightly nicer than the Sony 505 due to the 16 vs. 8 shades of grey.
The size is not much bigger than the Sony even with the keyboard. I thought the device was going to be huge in comparison, but really quite pleased. I find the extra size makes it a little easier to hold than the Sony.
I love the leather cover, though I hate the price, it should have been free. The great thing about the cover is that you can fold it back without having to force it back like in the Sony Reader.

What else, well the store is awesome, I love how you can view a sample of a book then buy it right after. The newspapers are fantastic also. Of course the price of everything is pretty good, though not perfect, it’s not bad.

Now it’s not all sunshine with the Kindle 2. The build quality is questionable. The plastic creaks under pressure, right below the back button, so I hear it quite a bit, especially if I move it around while I read.
The kindle resets itself quite a bit, for me about 5 times since Wednesday. I should say though, not during reading a book.
The font is ok, but I preferred the font on the Sony Reader.

Even with those issues I have to say that I have no regrets of buying the kindle. I love it. For those who are still thinking about it, the fact you are reading this means you are half way there, so head over to Amazon, order it with next day delivery and start enjoying it!
stevierg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm suprised you had to force your Reader cover back, I never had a problem.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
stevierg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm suprised you had to force your Reader cover back, I never had a problem.
With the Sony cover it was so firm and the way the cover connected to the Sony Reader it was a little awkward. In fairness I got used to it, but I love the Kindle 2 cover.

Not only that I love the fact it so easy to remove the device from the cover, there is no fear of breaking the plastic clips that were in the Sony.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you're having reset issues, please contact Amazon and let them know. You may have a defective unit and if so, they will send you a replacement right away. The fact that you say you hear a creaking noise may be related. I don't hear any creaking with mine and though I've only had it since Thursday, I've not had it reset.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
stevierg

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If you're having reset issues, please contact Amazon and let them know. You may have a defective unit and if so, they will send you a replacement right away. The fact that you say you hear a creaking noise may be related. I don't hear any creaking with mine and though I've only had it since Thursday, I've not had it reset.
Yeah I emailed them today about this, we'll see what they say on Monday.

In fairness the creaking isn't so bad, but it is present. It makes me think of the long term quality.

The resets are annoying, lets hope it was just a defect, but I never had a single reset with my Sony device in 12 months.
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
stevierg

I just recieved a reply from Amazon support, they will replace my kindle because of the squeaks.

Nice, Amazon are first class on their support!
Old 02-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierg View Post
I just recieved a reply from Amazon support, they will replace my kindle because of the squeaks.

Nice, Amazon are first class on their support!
Told ya!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Yeah, I've read several posts of people who have squeaking devices or side-buttons that seem to be slightly out-of-alignment. It doesn't speak too highly of Amazon's quality-control, but at least they are willing to replace them.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
stevierg

Ha, I was playing around with the squeak and now I can't get it to happen. I'll see how it goes over the next couple days and if it comes back, off to Amazon it goes for a replacement.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:19 AM   #10
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I have no squeeks but I do have the crashes to the home page. But then i had the crashes to the home page on my Kindle 1 until they released the 1.0.4 software.

You also don't have to call them about crashes. The device collects crash logs and uploads them to Amazon via Whispernet. Just leave your radio on once a day and Amazon will hear all about it.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote