Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #166
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
Hi Jgoguen
First of all thank you for your work, I use the plug-in and I'm very happy with it.
But I have a suggestion, (I know nothing about coding so I don't know if it's easy or not) many times I transfer from Calibre to Kobo a batch of 10 or more ebooks, sometimes one in the batch has errors or is bad coded and this stops the plug-in from converting and calibre shows an error message, the problem is that after the error none of the ebooks in the batch has been converted and copied (also if the bad one is the last) and the error message doesn't show wich of them is the broken one.
So I need to trasfer them one by one until I find the guilty.
My question is: It is possible in a future release of the plug in to separate the processing of each epub in a batch, so the good ones would be converted and copied in the kobo and only the bad one(s) remains?
Or (probably easier) it is possible to change the plug-in making it to display the name of the epub in the error message?

Thank you (PS: I hope what I wrote is understandable )
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #167
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Please submit a bug report on Github asking for this. I'm not sure how much I can do, but submitting a bug report on Github makes sure that I won't forget about your request.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #168
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Hello,

So I'm finally going to try jgoguen's plugin.
First, thank you to everyone involved in this plugin, this thread or improving the Kobo experience as a whole

Following the readme explanations, I've downloaded 4 files and have put them in a ZIP files. If I understand well, I don't need to download the other files, right?

I'll let you know how this is working but I may wait a little bit before connecting the Mini with Calibre via USB. I would like to run the battery down once more.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #169
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you've just downloaded the plugin code very recently, there's actually five files. You may have downloaded the source before I updated the README.

The last file (which is in the README now) is hyphenator.py and it also gets added to the ZIP file.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #170
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
If you've just downloaded the plugin code very recently, there's actually five files. You may have downloaded the source before I updated the README.

The last file (which is in the README now) is hyphenator.py and it also gets added to the ZIP file.
Oh, thank you! I'll add hyphenator.py to the ZIP file. I downloaded everything minutes before posting here, indeed
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #171
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post

thanks for the update - just tried it on a very nasty book, and it works perfectly!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #172
samhy
Wizard

When I try to load the plugin, I get this error message
Quote:
invalid syntax (calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.__init__, line 4
Any idea what's going on?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #173
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

What version if calibre are you using? When did you download the plugin code?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #174
samhy
Wizard

Hello jgoguen,

Thank you for your reply.

I downloaded the plugin on March 31st when you were updating it and I'm running Calibre 0.9.26 (today's update).
I think I'll download the plugin once again, maybe I picked an outdated file.

Edit: still the same error message
Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.26
ERREUR : Exception non gérée: <b>SyntaxError</b>:invalid syntax (calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.__init__, line 4)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/preferences/plugins.py", line 310, in add_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 361, in add_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 53, in load_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 169, in load
File "importlib/__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 147, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.__init__", line 4
<!DOCTYPE html>
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Last edited by samhy; 04-05-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #175
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Hello jgoguen,

Thank you for your reply.

I downloaded the plugin on March 31st when you were updating it and I'm running Calibre 0.9.26 (today's update).
I think I'll download the plugin once again, maybe I picked an outdated file.

Edit: still the same error message
The files are not downloadable by clicking on what appears to be the link to the file. You need to click on the button labelled ZIP (also has a cloud with a down arrow) to download the package. You then extract the files from that .zip file and stuff them into a new .zip file which you can use with Calibre.

Clear as mud?

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-05-2013 at 11:41 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #176
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The files are not downloadable by clicking on what appears to be the link to the file. You need to click on the button labelled ZIP (also has a cloud with a down arrow) to download the package. You then extract the files from that .zip file and stuff them into a new .zip file which you can use with Calibre.

Clear as mud?

Regards,
David
Oh... I see. I didn't know Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
And the cloud with an arrow tip was great, since I wasn't search in the right place.

So now the plugin has been successfully installed. I'm going to try it tonight.

Thank you David, jgoguen and everyone else
Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #177
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Gave this a whirl tonight and it's worked great with every book that's gone through it so far. Thanks for the wonderful work!

Note to Kobo: we'd love to see feature equality in the base firmware between ePubs and kepubs!
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #178
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Feature equality would be nice, but probably more work than it's worth. Kobo outright states that the kepub reader is not meant to be accessed in this manner. They're generous enough to leve it accessible so that those of us who choose to do so may use the kepub renderer with the understanding that it's unsupported. Compare to other companies, like Sony, who would likely make it difficult to get to the better renderer in the first place, do their best to make it horribly broken if you got there, and change things every release to break it even more. (I base that entirely off my experiences with the PSP and PS3, maybe they would do The Right Thing with their ebook readers.)

Rather than ask for feature equality, I think it would be better to ask for things that would benefit both ePub and kepub users, such as supporting the ePub v3 standards for setting series information in the ePub metadata. The best feature request is one that everyone benefits from.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #179
friedmandu
friedmandu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi jgoguen,
I love this kepub.epub plugin that you've made! Just thought I'd report that, for me, the annotation function doesn't work on my newly modified books about 80% of the time. I think I've read through this thread pretty thoroughly, although it's still possible I missed something. Is this a known issue by any chance?
(P.S.: I'm using the Glo with books mostly on an SD card)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by friedmandu; 04-11-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: orthography and thanks
friedmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #180
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

It's a known issue. Everything I can find suggests that the only proper fix is including copyrighted Kobo files, which can't be done.

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo