Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #16
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
FWIW I doubt White Witch, Black Curse is DRM free (never seen a Harper Collins book that is). What Wallcraft listed was a sample and AFAIK no samples have DRM. It's a good book, but as Daffy says not one to start with you'd want the first book in the series.
Oh. (disappointed look) I didn't realize it was a sample. I was actually going to start with the first book in the series, as daffy4u was suggesting. I figured that if the latest book was DRM-free the others probably were too.

Oh, well.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Oh. (disappointed look) I didn't realize it was a sample. I was actually going to start with the first book in the series, as daffy4u was suggesting. I figured that if the latest book was DRM-free the others probably were too.

Oh, well.
Well it's a really good series, so if you don't mind DRM, or are willing to strip it, I'd at least grab the first book.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The first in the series When Women Were Warriors by Catherine M. Wilson is DRM-free. So the other two may be also. Note that Book I is only $0.99 but it is available for free from the author’s website.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The first in the series When Women Were Warriors by Catherine M. Wilson is DRM-free. So the other two may be also. Note that Book I is only $0.99 but it is available for free from the author’s website.
...and the first book is a good read too. Can't comment on the other two as I haven't been able to get myself to pull the trigger yet.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #20
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
All books from www.baen.com or www.stevejordanbooks.com or www.feedbooks.com are DRM free. As far as I know, all *.prc are DRM free but *.mobi can be protected or unprotected. Also *.azw files can be protected or not. I have found that the zero cost public domain books in the Kindle Store are generally DRM free. There are many more DRM free books than those with protection. Also, for us that cannot run Windows, I use both Stanza and Calibre. Try to open a protected book in either one and it rapidly gives you a warning that it is locked. In Calibre they can be listed but not opened if they have DRM. I had lots of books with the title but not the author and used either program to find the author and change the file name accordingly. I have over 800 e-books in my Calibre file and tag those with DRM as I find them.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMacD View Post
As far as I know, all *.prc are DRM free but *.mobi can be protected or unprotected. Also *.azw files can be protected or not.
The .prc and .mobi filename extensions can be used interchangeably, and both can be DRM-ridden or DRM-free. Any MOBI that costs money from mobipocket.com has DRM (publishers have no choice, it must have DRM) and many of the Kindle AZW ebooks are MOBIs from mobipocket.com. For Kindle AZW ebooks submitted via Amazon's DTP, the default is DRM-free but they can also have DRM if the publisher/author uploads a DRMed MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See the attached python script, kindledrm.py, which reports the status of an AZW ebook. Note that kindledrm is not touching the file's DRM, it just looks at a 2-byte integer in the header that indicates the presence of DRM.

Using a windows command for loop (see the readme in the .zip) I found the following DRM-free AZWs on my Kindle:

Several of these are "Extra Large Print" ebooks that are no longer available. The others can be found by searching at Amazon for the ASIN which is in the file name (e.g. B0018LILMO). The script also finds DRM-free samples (White Witch is the only example here), which are typically labeled EBSP rather than EBOK. Most (all?) samples are DRM-free.

Hey wallcraft, or anyone, i need a little help. I JUST downloaded Python for the first time ever. Installed it. Downloaded your script, put both files in the same folder as my eBook, and now i have no idea how to proceed.

I tried typing "echo off
for %a in (*.azw) do kindledrm "%a"
echo on" into cmd but that didn't do anything. Sorry for being so clueless. A step by step would be extremely helpful and MUCH appreciated. Thanks.
Big McLargeHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #23
eskimo1
eskimo1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
for linux

Thanks for the script.
The instructions in the readme file are incorrect for Linux.
For Linux...
1. Ad this line at the start of python script
#!/usr/bin/python

2. open terminal and cd to /kidledrm.py/location then make kindledrm.py executable.
chmod +x kindledrm.py

3.run this from termial on mobi files. the results will be written to results.txt
find /location/of/mobi/files/ -exec ./kindledrm.py {} \; > results.txt
eskimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #24
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
post deleted
sian is offline   Reply With Quote