Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #16
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
It would be great if you could take pictures with the Cybook displaying the same PDF file in portrait view, the whole page fit to the screen's width...
As requested, I added a picture to the album of the Cybook displaying the same article in Portrait mode, Fit Width.

You can view it at the same link as posted above.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #17
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is hard to classify a thing like the Nokia N810. I consider it to be a small laptop so for me it is a computer. I can login with ssh to it and I can use ssh to login remotely and start an X window. In principle what i use my other computers for.

You are so correct! I need to stop thinking of computers in a pre-internet way - i.e., a computer is a computer if it runs all the applications I use on it. Nowadays, with so many applications freely available online, one could really use an internet tablet for just about everything as long as there is a (fast) reliable internet connection. I, personally, am just not ready to make that jump....
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
You are so correct! I need to stop thinking of computers in a pre-internet way - i.e., a computer is a computer if it runs all the applications I use on it. Nowadays, with so many applications freely available online, one could really use an internet tablet for just about everything as long as there is a (fast) reliable internet connection. I, personally, am just not ready to make that jump....
Me neither. A computer has to be able to load programs on it for me to call it a computer. Otherwise everything is a computer these days. My DVD player is still not a computer to me. I microwave is still not a computer to me. Even though they all contain microprocessors in them. If you can't get to the OS and load programs on it then it is a dedicated machine, not a computer.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Me neither. A computer has to be able to load programs on it for me to call it a computer. Otherwise everything is a computer these days. My DVD player is still not a computer to me. I microwave is still not a computer to me. Even though they all contain microprocessors in them. If you can't get to the OS and load programs on it then it is a dedicated machine, not a computer.
Yes, of course. And with the Nokia machines you can do that. And you can write programs in it ans so on. But a machine nowadays that you cannot connect to the internet is not really a general computer anymore.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #20
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
As requested, I added a picture to the album of the Cybook displaying the same article in Portrait mode, Fit Width.

You can view it at the same link as posted above.

Over is offline   Reply With Quote