Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Arcadian
Arcadian began at the beginning.

Device: KK, K4, K5, KT, KF, PW1, PW2, PW3,Voyage
Kindle Touch Issues: Slow page turning and ghosting

Howdy all!

Hey, I did a search on these issues, but I couldn't find a thread. I was hoping to determine if my new K4 Touch is defective or not. I just received mine yesterday, and downloaded just the book I'm currently reading. I've noticed that the page turns are very slow compared to my K4 Non-Touch unit, and even my old, beloved K3.

In addition, the ghosting issue is quite pronounced on this unit. It clears up when a full refresh occurs every 6 pages or so, but it is significanly worse that the ghosting on my K4 Non-Touch. Changing the setting to refresh with each page clears up the ghosting, but the slow page turns still persist.

I only have one book downloaded, so it isn't indexing anything, and I've rebooted a couple of times to see if it clears it up.

The screen looks great, and the contrast, background shade, and font clarity is basically the same as my K3, and K4 Non-Touch, but the slow page turns are driving me crazy. If I switch over to my K4 NT, it seems like a rocket in comparison.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure if the unit is defective or not.
Arcadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
If you've just received the kindle touch, give it sometime. Indexing is not limited to just your book, it also includes the dictionary, user guide, etc... A simple way to know whether it's still indexing the specific book is to do a search for the book, it'll tell you whether it's still indexing the book or not.

My KT was slow the first night as well(I put in just about 10 books), then I went to bed and the 2nd day it was fast. I do have the ghosting issue though https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157621
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Arcadian
Arcadian began at the beginning.

Device: KK, K4, K5, KT, KF, PW1, PW2, PW3,Voyage
I'm reasonably sure it isn't indexing anything. I've done the "zyzzx" search, and it doesn't indicate that anything is remaining to be indexed...

I remember my Nook STR had similar issues with the original firmware, but the new update recently released eliminated the ghosting and really sped up the page turns. Hopefully an update for the KT will solve these issues as well.
Arcadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
khughes
khughes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I noticed the ghosting right off, though it wasn't severe. Setting the Refresh level to Every Page Turn pretty much cured it, without affecting the speed of the page turn. Which I've found in general to be very fast -- considerably less than a second -- though once in a while I get a much slower page turn.

I put on a ton of books (everything I had on the K3), and didn't find that the indexing time made a noticeable difference to the speed of the page turn. Sadly, it sounds to me as though your unit may be somewhat defective.
khughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
kuklachica
Enthusiast
kuklachica began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/WiFi
I posted about this in another thread. Same thing is happening to two kindle touches so far.

One arrived like this IN the box

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
jpcapili
Enthusiast
jpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
i have a kindle touch wifi. wasn't satisfied, so I exchanged it with kindle touch 3g. I noticed that it was slow right off the bat. The turning of pages, the brining up of windows, etc are slow. So I exchanged it with another 3g. It's faster now, but now I have the ghosting issue, but not as prevalent.

is the ghosting a known issue on Kindle Touch?
jpcapili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcapili View Post
i have a kindle touch wifi. wasn't satisfied, so I exchanged it with kindle touch 3g. I noticed that it was slow right off the bat. The turning of pages, the brining up of windows, etc are slow. So I exchanged it with another 3g. It's faster now, but now I have the ghosting issue, but not as prevalent.

is the ghosting a known issue on Kindle Touch?
I can't say whether "it is known" or not, but it is annoying enough on my KT that unless an update that addresses this appears in the next couple of weeks, I will be returning mine for exchange or refund. In the past (e.g. K3) updates were pretty quick in coming, but then the complaints seemed more numerous. So I will probably check with CS to see what they can tell me.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've noticed some ghosting also but when I changed the refresh rate it was fine. there is now only occasional ghosting like when going through menus and going to the screen saver. overall, i'm very happy with it.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
<musing>
My K3 did this at first, but got better quickly and now, does not do it at at all, and my KT seems to do it less than it did three days ago. I almost wonder if it's a "too new" issue... maybe the ink is a little too "sticky" at first.
</musing>
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote