Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
I think this new tablet does not bode well for nook.
Perhaps they should focus on improving their apps and e-ink devices and forego tablets.
I wish they'd bring back the NST -- or something similar to compete with the Kindle Basic. As for this Samsung tablet, what's the point? I can buy a 7" Android tablet anywhere. It does look like they're basically giving up.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #62
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014,Hisense Sero Pro 7,Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
Well, not giving up so much as perhaps accepting the inevitable. The new SGT4N 7 lets them sell to an in-store audience that might not be shopping for a tablet, but might be interested in reading ebooks. B&N does offer nice in-store support, so they've got a bit of the "Apple Genius Bar" thing going, and that's important for those shopping for non-technical folks. That audience isn't going to be looking for high-end specs if they accompany a high-end price. B&N is never going to win the device war on specs. They tried that and lost. This strategy lets them capture an in-store audience they'd miss if they had no device to offer.

Meanwhile, if B&N really work on the NOOK app, they can make any device, in effect, a NOOK. I just hope they do so.

Last edited by bobstro; 08-20-2014 at 07:33 PM.
bobstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #63
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstro View Post
Well, not giving up so much as perhaps accepting the inevitable. The new SGT4N 7 lets them sell to an in-store audience that might not be shopping for a tablet, but might be interested in reading ebooks. B&N does offer nice in-store support, so they've got a bit of the "Apple Genius Bar" thing going, and that's important for those shopping for non-technical folks. That audience isn't going to be looking for high-end specs if they accompany a high-end price.

Meanwhile, if B&N really work on the NOOK app, they can make any device, in effect, a NOOK. I just hope they do so.
They need to sell 2000 per store to meet their commitment to Samsung.
If they succeed, they'll make decent coin.
Otherwise...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #64
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
This offer does not interest me. Not sure if it is US only or also available in Europe. If I want to upgrade my tablet, I want to buy the highest spec on the market. For ebook reading, I use an eink reader (kinder to my eyes), so for me the Nook app on a tablet holds no incentive to purchase.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #65
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think the SGT4N is meant to be an upgrade so much as an entry-level device. Those who are upgrading will be looking for performance and specs. B&N bet the farm and lost the device spec wars with the HD/+ series. This seems to be a humbler effort targeting first-time device buyers.

I don't see why they didn't put together a more compelling bundle though.
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #66
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They need to sell 2000 per store to meet their commitment to Samsung.
If they succeed, they'll make decent coin.
Otherwise...
Or about 6 per day.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #67
bobstro
Zealot

I would hope they have a sense for how many they can hope to move daily based on past experience. No doubt they're counting on a holiday rush to help.

As to the 8 GB storage:
  1. This is the same as Samsung's standard Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, which is only available in 8 GB variants from what I can find. Considering how many years Samsung's been pushing 8 GB 7 inch tablets, I suspect they have a feel for what the market wants in an entry-level device. I still get plenty of good use on my old 7 inch 8 GB tablet.
  2. My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 running KitKat does have the Move to SD card option. Of course, not all apps support it, but it's not like a microSD card is useless on a Samsung KitKat device.

It's not for power users. It's for people shopping in a book store who might want to read on a device that the helpful staff at the store can help them with. The specs are on-target for that intended audience. I (probably) won't buy one, but I might recommend one for someone looking to read ebooks.

Last edited by bobstro; 08-20-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #68
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
I haven't personally tested it, but that doesn't sound right. There were changes in Kit Kat, but moving applications to the SD card wasn't one of them.
Quote:
My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 running KitKat does have the Move to SD card option. Of course, not all apps support it, but it's not like a microSD card is useless on a Samsung KitKat device.
I'm sorry; I stand corrected. I thought you couldn't move apps to an SD card under KitKat.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #69
bobstro
Zealot

I think move to SD is a feature that some manufacturers can opt to enable on KitKat. I have it on my Samsung, but not on the KitKat firmware I've loaded onto my Hisense Sero Pro 7. On the Sero, with only 8 GB storage, I really do miss it!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #70
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Or about 6 per day.
Actually, 5 sould do: it is a 15 month commitment.
Problem is, those specs are going to be looking pretty dated by Nov 2015.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #71
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Actually, 5 sould do: it is a 15 month commitment.
Problem is, those specs are going to be looking pretty dated by Nov 2015.
Does it have to be the Galaxy 4 only? If Samsung makes a 5, can they migrate to the latest device?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #72
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
That's arguably what they've done. They seem to be more-or-less acting as Samsung resellers. Low-risk for both parties, I assume. Hopefully, they'll add the most compelling features to the Android app on the GoPS.
Except they still appear to be expending resources on the Nook/Android interface. One would think this would have very diminishing returns. Most people I know with Nook tablets look for a way away from B&N's interface whether it be using a different launcher or replacing the entire OS with stock Android.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #73
bobstro
Zealot

Some hands-on with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK

I just spent 20 minutes playing with one. The interface is just an Android app suite (library, store, search, discover) with a couple of widgets on top of Samsung's TouchWiz (for better or worse). This actually will reduce their coding effort if they simply release the same suite as the next NOOK app in the GoPS. It looked well done, and you can use as much or little of it as you want. I personally would like a more prominent library display that's simple to use on my home screen.

The reading app is nice. Nothing stellar, but pleasant to use. Font options are limited.

Move to SD card is available for supporting apps in app settings as expected.

VentureBeat has done a hands-on article with a small gallery of pics that show some of the details.

If you want a basic tablet for reading with in-store, in-person support available, it's a nice choice.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test out sideload content support or the ability to forego TouchWiz for another launcher.

Last edited by bobstro; 08-21-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #74
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Ahh, well that at least makes more sense for them to do, thanks for the info.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:51 AM   #75
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
If you want a basic tablet for reading with in-store, in-person support available, it's a nice choice.
I didn't realize the price was cheaper than a standard Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 when they're not on sale. So I can see B&N customers buying these (not me, I like eInk readers). For some reason I thought these Samsung 7" tablets were in the $140 range or so (it shows what I know about tablets). I still wish B&N would bring back something to replace the NST at the low-end. It wouldn't even have to be touch screen.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote