Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #31
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifermcb View Post
I would suggest Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.
Funny, I had a look at the first book of the series when I was 16 years old or so. It didn't interest me at the time, I don't know why – I'll give it another look, maybe it will appeal to me now, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetterau View Post
You might like Every Story Is A Love Story [...] Also, O+F [...]
I've downloaded the books and will try them, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
If you are looking for a good love story that is non-traditional, check out Ken Grimwood's Replay.
I've read the description on Amazon and it sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I would suggest some of Annie Proulx's work. [...]
I'll have a look at her works and already downloaded some sample chapters, thanks.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #32
tana
tana began at the beginning.

Device: unknown
The Last Herald-Mage by M Lackey

All the books in the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series....
tana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #33
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Tears of the moon and under the Kimberly sun by Di Morrissey are both excellent books but you wont find them in e-format unfortunately. I have both as audio books and enjoyed them very much. The first tells the story of a woman whose mother has always been silent on their family background. Following the mother's death she goes to Broome in search of her family history. Deals with issues of migration from England to Australia, the pearling industry and issues of aboriginal culture and how this was stripped form people, although it is a bit of a romanticized view of these issues, as well as a love story. The second book deals with the next generation and has some mystery and intrigue thrown in as well. Both are worth a read.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #34
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
The Time Traveller's Wife immediately popped into my head when I read the title..and then you'd already listed it. Such a beautiful book.

The Twilight saga by Stephenie Meyer is about as non-traditional of a love story as it gets. (I don't like vampire books, but loved the story in these). They are classified YA, but still great stories about an unusual romance. Ditto for her book "The Host". It falls more into the SF range, but is a great and unusual love story.
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #35
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Funny, I had a look at the first book of the series when I was 16 years old or so. It didn't interest me at the time, I don't know why – I'll give it another look, maybe it will appeal to me now, thanks.

I've downloaded the books and will try them, thank you.

I've read the description on Amazon and it sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

I'll have a look at her works and already downloaded some sample chapters, thanks.
I was a sysop on CompuServe's LITFORUM, and Diana Gabaldon was a member. It was very fun to read her works in progress and actively discuss and debate her ideas on plot and character and background information. Plus she was uproariously funny, and merciless when it came to critiquing others works. A few LITFORUM members became minor characters in the book.

Such a community could not exist today, I think. I suppose a private, members only forum for writers, supported by subscription... I've tried, with various and limited degrees of success.

Patricia, if you're reading... you remind me of her. The same intellect, vast knowledge, and sly, subtle humor.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #36
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tana
The Last Herald-Mage by M Lackey

All the books in the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series....
Thanks, I'll have a look at the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon
Tears of the moon and under the Kimberly sun by Di Morrissey are both excellent books but you wont find them in e-format unfortunately. […]
Looks interesting, I'll add them to my paper book wish-list

Quote:
Originally Posted by khourianya View Post
The Time Traveller's Wife immediately popped into my head when I read the title..and then you'd already listed it. Such a beautiful book.
Yes, definitely

Last edited by IceHand; 01-19-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #37
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
[…] Such a community could not exist today, I think. I suppose a private, members only forum for writers, supported by subscription... I've tried, with various and limited degrees of success. […]
Why not? What was different back then?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #38
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Quote:

Thanks for the recommendations, I've actually read the Twilight Saga and The Host already and liked them very much.
Glad I was on the right track. If I think of others, I'll be sure to post them. I did read something a few months ago that fits into this category too, but be damned if I can't recall the title. so unlike me...
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #39
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Why not? What was different back then?
Not to carry another thread into this one, but Search Engines are the main difference. CompuServe was not a public service. One had to subscribe, and authors knew they could discuss and even upload working mss and not have them spread around the net (there was no net, for one thing), or lose any publishing rights, by doing so. Terms of Service were clear, and enforced, and so on. At one point, when the TOS changed to include verbiage to the effect that CompuServe could publish any content in other media (their magazine) there was huge outcry and much content (from poets, authors, artists, photgraphers) was removed in mass protest. They revised the TOS immediately.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote