Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
snoozer
Connoisseur
snoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation, Lenovo c330 Chromebook
I am a senior and I was very unsure about doing this, but as others mentioned it is not that difficult. Here is a link to the simple instructions & plenty of help if you have any questions.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2317500
snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
There are easy to follow instructions availabel

If you are prepared to make your own card from what they are offering, make it with stuff from the original developers instead! Don't let them make money out of other people's work!

I know! But you don't have to learn a lot of it!

Having said all this, do you really NEED to do ANY of this now that you can use Google Play apps? I run my HD/HD+ as stock and am completely happy. I feel no need to use any other ROM for these devices. (I do root them, but "root" is not the same as running a different ROM. "Root" is gaining root access, taking control of what can be installed.)
I find it frustrating. I switch between apps a lot, the recent apps button on the Nook doesn't seem to show the apps I used recently when I am using a launcher. It may work on the Nook side of the fence, but I don't use or like the Nook home screen, so i am never there. Nor do I like the settings interface. I'd prefer plain vanilla Android.

Partly it is curiosity though.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #18
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
Such software is distributed for free by its original developers: see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2300132 or http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2087988. There is no need to pay for middlemen's repackaging.
Yes! It's really not that difficult. And the image will need to be updated from time to time. Donate the $10 to the devs instead. Unless you are really bad with modern computers (like my dad who says the internet doesn't work when his homepage changes or his firefox shortcut gets deleted).

Plus running from SD card is never as good as running from the internal memory. Read/write times, random read/write times, etc are all slower which can produce lag, etc.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Partly it is curiosity though.
Curiosity is perfectly valid reason! Perfectly!!!!

But please, consider giving the developers over at XDA your $$ instead on NFA! Out of curiosity I did the hybrid install in one of the links Livramax posted, and it's really very easy. Admittedly I have played around with this stuff before, so what I see as "easy to follow instructions" may seem intimidating to someone else, but in that case, just come here and ask and one of us that has done it can help you!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #20
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Having said all this, do you really NEED to do ANY of this now that you can use Google Play apps?
Once B&N stops updating the stock ROMs for their tablets, you won't get some nice new features that come with new releases of Android and get ported into CM -- e.g., restrictive user account (for parental control purpose) in Android 4.3 (-> CM10.2).

For me CM10.1's features such USB Host (which enables attaching USB devices such as flash-drive, keyboard, mouse, etc.) alone is well worth switching to CM.

Last edited by livramax; 08-05-2013 at 06:44 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I understand why someone who likes to fiddle with these things want to do it. Hey, I'm one of them!
I just wonder what people that don't and are intimidated by this are after.
Either way, help is here for anyone that needs it!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Update:

Official binaries of the nightly builds are now available:

Nook HD+
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=ovation

Nook HD
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=hummingbird
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #23
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
So... How much of a problem is it to upgrade? I've got cyangenmod installed on my HD+ and set up the way I like it. Don't really want to go through and set everything up again.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #24
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Do you have root? I am not familiar with flashing the Nook, but with other Android devices what I usually do is use Titanium Backup to make backup of all my apps and settings, flash the upgrade (with a full wipe), and then restore everything again from the backup. This has worked for me very reliably over the years.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #25
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Do you have root?
Looks like I do, once CyanogenMod is installed. I'll look into Titanium Backup. Not it a big rush yet. Doesn't look like the change are earth shattering.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #26
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
FWIW the CM official builds are for installing/running on internal emmc, not on SD.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #27
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
How are the ROMs working so far? I used to run CM10 on my Nook Tablet from the SD card and had problems with it freezing up, battery dying quickly, etc. Is CM10.1 for the HD+ stable enough to use everyday?

I just don't want to go through the process of installing everything over and setting up my Nook only to have problems plague me.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #28
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
How are the ROMs working so far? I used to run CM10 on my Nook Tablet from the SD card and had problems with it freezing up, battery dying quickly, etc. Is CM10.1 for the HD+ stable enough to use everyday?

I just don't want to go through the process of installing everything over and setting up my Nook only to have problems plague me.
Works great for me, though I don't run from SD card. Overwrote stock and won't look back.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #29
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
No hang ups, no problems turning on, battery life good/better than stock, etc?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #30
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
No hang ups, no problems turning on, battery life good/better than stock, etc?
No hangs. No problems turning on. Can't comment on battery life, as I didn't use stock long enough but I don't have any complaints. Overall I prefer the interface over stock. Only complaint was that you can't load Nook for Android from the Google store -- Unsupported Device. Found a copy to sideload and it works fine. I've got an HD that I'll do the same with, when I can figure a way to get the stupid thing to boot from SD.