Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #61
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Here's what I'm thinking (which is mostly speculation and could be totally off):

When you close a book and go back to the Home screen, the current book page and all notes and bookmarks get saved. If you never close a book while reading (i.e., you just let the reader go to sleep with the book open), you will end up back at page 1 after a crash. But if you close a book before putting the reader to sleep, you'll go back to the previous reading session before the crash.

What I'm wondering is if closing a book and going back to the Home screen has other benefits (like clearing memory? refreshing certain firmware files?) that might help keep the reader stable and prevent crashes. I'm also wondering if shutting down the reader completely (say, once every week or every month?) will also "refresh" things and help prevent crashes.

And, of course, if you're reading an epub that is irregular in some manner, that could certainly aggravate the problem, increasing the likelihood of a crash.

Again, I'm just speculating.
Not speculation, fact. An ebook works in the same manner as a database. If you leave it open, data will not be saved. Getting a bookmark and hitting home is your best bet every time.
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #62
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Not my experience, exactly. My T1 stalled a few times with the former firware and required reseting. When accessing the book I was reading the momento it hung, the current page was lost in favor of the last one I was reading when I closed that book, but the notes (highlights) had been preserved all the times. Dunno if it will work the same with bookmarks and notes, but I have no reason to think otherwise.

Last edited by Peto; 02-12-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #63
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
So how exactly do you do this when the reader starts flashing the blanks screen and showing the reloading arrows? None of the buttons appear to work at this time. How ch you go to the home screen?
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #64
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Unfortunately, once you're in the endless loop, you can't go back to the Home screen. But it looks like if you go back to the Home screen periodically while reading, you might be in somewhat better shape after a crash.

My question is: Does going back to the Home screen periodically, or even shutting the device completely off every few weeks (as opposed to just putting it to sleep all the time), help prevent crashes?

Last edited by pssquirrel; 02-12-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: clarity
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #65
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I'm mystified by all this - have I just got lucky ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #66
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
My question also. We have had none of these problems.

Of course, we tend to run our devices lean/clean/mean.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #67
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Those who are lucky I hope it lasts.
I am not to upset by the odd malfunction as long as it isn't hard to fix.

My new bizarre story:
Was reading on balcony. Turned off reader and set it on desk in other room. Glanced it casually and it was flashing blank screen and reloading arrows.

Then it went to opening book with no reset necessary.

Everything ok except current book back at start minus bookmark.

Definitely turned it off, cover of book was on screen with message saying reader in sleep mode. Definitely was at least 3 minutes later as I went to bathroom after putting on desk. Did not touch reader, it just went from sleep mode to opening book.

Perhaps a poltergeist

Helen
Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #68
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Boy, that's bizarre. If these forums are any indication, the flashing screen/reloading arrows doesn't seem to be a frequent or common occurrence. And in truth, I've only had it happen once so far. I'm hoping it's just a fluke or due to a funky epub. But who knows?!

Helen, have you tried a hard reset? http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1024494
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #69
speakingtohe
Wizard

@pssquirrel

Not yet. I am contemplating it.

I have several books (maybe a dozen) that I have stopped reading at different points because I wanted to switch to something lighter before going to sleep, and quite a few that I have finished that I want to mark as read in my calibre library before deleting.

------------

Slightly different problem I have encountered after firmware update.

I cannot delete books directly from the reader. I get a warning saying the content will not be deleted from the device.

I press ok and the book is gone from the collection and book list, but next time I plug it in to add books it is back and marked new again. So I have to keep track.

Prior to the update I could delete most books, but not all. I used to keep track (PRS-600. PRS-350) by marking books in library (custom column) when I put them on the device and assuming I had read them if I deleted them, which was much easier.

I will try the hard reset next time get my books marked and make a note of the page #'s of the ones I have not finished.

Thanks

Helen
Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #70
dmiller
Enthusiast
dmiller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibble View Post
I installed the firmware update on my rooted T1. The Superuser APK file was still on the reader afterward, although it was no longer installed. I re-installed the APK and rebooted the reader.
Where would one find the Superuser APK file if it is on the reader but no longer installed?
dmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #71
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=speakingtohe...................... bizarre.............
.......................Perhaps a poltergeistHelen[/QUOTE]

They are watching ...................

Quick - send for The Men in .....
Old 02-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #72
speakingtohe
Wizard

@carpetmojo

Hmm... I understand it all now,. They are using me to get at you
Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #73
carpetmojo
Wizard

Agh-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h..........
Old 02-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #74
Manisphere
Manisphere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Boy, that's bizarre. If these forums are any indication, the flashing screen/reloading arrows doesn't seem to be a frequent or common occurrence. And in truth, I've only had it happen once so far. I'm hoping it's just a fluke or due to a funky epub. But who knows?!
Then I've got a lot of funky epubs because these keeps happening to me. Got the freeze then the spinning arrows just this morning. Soft reset fixes the issue but I find myself waiting patiently for the next firmware update.
Manisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #75
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
My question also. We have had none of these problems.

Of course, we tend to run our devices lean/clean/mean.
Mine is about 770 books (800 megs free) and several big magazines on the card. I think something is wrong with the books themselves, I had several badly formatted that gave me problems, but I solved them getting a "cleaner" version of the books. That baffles the reader...
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote