Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
Unhappy gtalk/gchat weird behavior when cloned from phone

so the titanium backup/restore method phone-to-PE for getting market+talk to work, well, worked. yay.

but one thing I still notice is, that if I use gchat on e.g. my desktop (thru pidgin, gmail, whatever) then the phone will post-hoc sync gtalk with every message from the (desktop) conversation. and the PE will as well.

but if I use chat on my phone, or if I use it on the PE, whatever messages were sent/received on one, don't appear/sync on the other. i.e. - gtalk seems to think they are the same device and therefore don't need to sync up.

this isn't particularly surprising, given the method involves using the same data for the backup/restore. but still a little annoying.

probably there's an entry in the sqlite dbs somewhere, that will make the 2 id as different devices. will try to look for it but sort of a haystack there.

I imagine others have seen the same behavior, but please report back if you have or haven't...

thanks!
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
jamina1
Connoisseur
jamina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Maybe this is a new gtalk feature? I've never had gtalk messages pop up on my phone before, but this morning someone sent me one and I heard my phone beep at the same time. My edge didn't do anything though. No idea.
jamina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
a feature that it does sync or that it doesn't? ;-)

the thing I really liked (up until now!) about gtalk on my phone was, no matter if I had been chatting on the phone, or in pidgin, or in gtalk/gchat/gmail, etc. - when I signed into chat on my phone, it pulled, onto the phone, every single one of the previous sent/received messages - from any session regardless of source.

this all worked well before getting the edge - signing into talk on the phone would populate/sync every previous message no matter where the earlier chat had occurred. but now it seems to be a race vs. who's signed in first / who's available or away etc.

which again makes a strange sort of sense given the cloning. but again, curious what others experience has been - thank you for yours!
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote