Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Two New Device Reviews Coming Soon!

Hello folks,

After writing a few reviews here and elsewhere, I've decided I really enjoy bringing this information to people so they can make informed decisions on new technology. I have some exciting news! I'm going to be testing a couple brand new devices. One of them is WinCE 6.0 based, and the other is WinCE 6.0 or Android. I don't want to say much more until I have them here to test and review. I promise I will write non-biased and informative reviews on these devices. There will be screenshots and video available. I will be testing applications like web browsers, comic book viewers, ebook reading applications, video players, music players, and more. I will also take requests for testing of applications in the review threads themselves. For anyone who enjoyed reading my SmartQ7 review, please stand by for a new set of reviews in the next couple weeks.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Awesome ! Looking forward to those.

Really enjoyed your SmartQ7 review !

Thanks in advance
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
What a tease
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
What a tease
My thoughts exactly ... and I am dying to at least know what those devices are ... but I am sure ColdSun has reasons not to be able to share ... but will do so as soon as he can <hint> <hint> <nudge> <nudge>
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
I'm very curious, but I don't think I'll be able to read any other of ColdSun's reviews...

His was the final push that ended up with a Q7 sitting here next to me! These could end up being expensive!

Aww, I definitely don't regret the Q7 so I'll probably read these too. I'll just hide the credit card for a while, and yeah I have figured out how to hide things from myself.

Looking forward to the reviews!

Last edited by dmon65; 10-08-2009 at 05:26 PM.
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Haha you guys crack me up. Seriously though, I wasn't as much trying to be cryptic as making sure I don't speak before I can back it up. Once the source of the devices has delivered them to my doorstep I will spill the beans. One of the devices has me very excited. If it turns out to be as powerful as the specs are indicating I will be very impressed. The source who is providing the test unit seems to be very excited.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Haha you guys crack me up. Seriously though, I wasn't as much trying to be cryptic as making sure I don't speak before I can back it up. Once the source of the devices has delivered them to my doorstep I will spill the beans. One of the devices has me very excited. If it turns out to be as powerful as the specs are indicating I will be very impressed. The source who is providing the test unit seems to be very excited.
STOP ..... this isn't helping

When you have an itch you're not supposed to scratch it!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Just stopped by the thread to make sure that there is not something here for me not to read!

Hmm, that kinda hurt.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Well there is some new information. Of the two devices, they are both 7" multi-purpose devices. One of them operates on WinCE 5.0 and the other (more impressive one) operates on WinCE 6.0 Embedded. The WinCE 6.0 device uses the ARM CORTEX A8 600M processor, which is a newer processor used by devices such as iPhone and Archos 5. Both devices are new models. The WinCE 6.0 device isn't quite out of production and the test unit he was going to ship me didn't have Bluetooth. We decided to wait on the review of this device until he received the production model. I should receive the WinCE 5.0 device late this week or early next week. Expect the first review shortly after the arrival of the WinCE 5.0 device.

I can also tell you the battery life on the 6.0 device is longer than the 5.0. Assume that anything you have working in WinCE on the SmartQ7 would work on either of these devices, and some other apps that didn't work on WinCE 6.0 may work on WinCE 5.0 (some older apps?).

I believe the WinCE 5.0 device is this one (although it is not FROM JoinTech and has no JoinTech logo - it is also lower price than the JoinTech version even though the specifications are exactly the same):

http://www.jointech.com.hk/products_JE100.html

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-13-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I can also tell you the battery life on the 6.0 device is longer than the 5.0. Assume that anything you have working in WinCE on the SmartQ7 would work on either of these devices, and some other apps that didn't work on WinCE 6.0 may work on WinCE 5.0 (some older apps?).

I believe the WinCE 5.0 device is this one (although it is not FROM JoinTech and has no JoinTech logo - it is also lower price than the JoinTech version even though the specifications are exactly the same):

http://www.jointech.com.hk/products_JE100.html
I have both the JE100 and the Q7. I have found that JE100 will install more programs than the Q7. I am happy with both devices as an ereader, but if I had to pick only one, it would be the JE100. I was telling my husband that I wanted another JE100 as a back up. The device is so nice I am afraid that it will be discontinued! I am so paranoid sometimes. Anyway, the price on the JE100 has dropped by $20 and I was about to click the buy button, but I will hold off until your review of the mystery device.

I also want to add that this is really killing me now waiting to find out. I need more hints, info, etc.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
dmon65
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
I have both the JE100 and the Q7. I have found that JE100 will install more programs than the Q7. I am happy with both devices as an ereader, but if I had to pick only one, it would be the JE100.
Curses! I knew this would be a bad thread to watch...

I just want to know one thing, imaredr, how do the screens of your two devices compare? I love my Q7 but that JE100 looked really cool too!

So, just tell me how much better the Q7's screen is and I'll be just fine.

Until the reviews start rolling out here, of course.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
I have both the JE100 and the Q7. I have found that JE100 will install more programs than the Q7.
Ellen
Can you elaborate please Ellen as my instinct tells me that Linux has more apps available than WinCE
Old 10-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Ellen if you don't mind I think I know what Nation is asking. She favors using WinCE on her Q7 I believe. If that case is true, she is strictly speaking of Q7's WinCE 6.0 vs. JoinTech's WinCE 5.0. This was in response to my comment about JoinTech possibly running more WinCE applications without trouble than the Q7. There are many older WinCE applications that don't work for some reason or another on the Q7. There also seems to be some Windows Mobile applications that run on WinCE 5.0 that don't seem to work on WinCE 6.0. As far as Linux goes, I do believe there are more applications available for the Q7 if you are looking at it from the linux perspective.

I don't think one is better than the other, its just a matter of which OS you prefer. WinCE seems to be a little easier for users to pick up because most of us come into contact with a Windows PC on a daily basis for one thing or another. On that note, I will do my best to find devices to review that are not only based on WinCE. The first two reviews are definately based on WinCE but that is just the beginning. Also, don't forget the mention of the processor included in the device I'll be reviewing second. Before you pick up anything else, I'm betting we will see a lot of new devices using the same processor the Archos and iPhone are using. Not only are they very fast for web browsing, they have excellent video abilities. We will definately be seeing some devices based on Android in this form factor.

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-14-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Can you elaborate please Ellen as my instinct tells me that Linux has more apps available than WinCE
Sorry, I was thinking about Win CE applications rather than Linux. I bought both devices to have as ereaders.
On the JE100 I was able to install more reading software such as MS reader. I couldn't get it to install on the Q7.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #15
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Sorry, I was thinking about Win CE applications rather than Linux. I bought both devices to have as ereaders.
On the JE100 I was able to install more reading software such as MS reader. I couldn't get it to install on the Q7.

Ellen
OK thanks for the clarification.