Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
An unregistered Kindle is a very poor choice. You collections by not registering. Also, ePub is open when not encumbered with DRM. Mobi & KF8 are not open even if no DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #32
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The only book readers that I know of that are not ancored to a store is probably the libra pro and the libra color. Aluratek does not sell ebooks.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
The only book readers that I know of that are not ancored to a store is probably the libra pro and the libra color. Aluratek does not sell ebooks.
The T2 is not tied to Sony's store. You can buy DRMed ePub from other shops.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #34
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
Another option is Onyx Boox, they are not tied to any book store either.
Ayla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #35
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla7 View Post
Another option is Onyx Boox, they are not tied to any book store either.
Same with Kobo, you can buy from any shop that sells epubs (or anything else for that matter if you convert afterwards in Calibre).
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #36
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Sony and Kobo both support vanilla ADE DRM, so they can be used with any store.

A Nook can be used with any ADE supporting store - e.g. Sony's or Kobo's - but you can't buy on the Nook store and put it on a non-Nook device.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #37
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Technical bells and whistles aside, the T2 has been the most consistent in not being big brothery.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Technical bells and whistles aside, the T2 has been the most consistent in not being big brothery.
If this thread had taken place a year ago, then I would have agreed that the T2 would be a good choice. As it is, though, technology has moved on, and Sony haven't - their interest in the reader marker seems luke-warm at best. There are better choices available these days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If this thread had taken place a year ago, then I would have agreed that the T2 would be a good choice. As it is, though, technology has moved on, and Sony haven't - their interest in the reader marker seems luke-warm at best. There are better choices available these days.
Given all the issues with the PW, maybe Sony were waiting until they could get a front lit screen done right instead of doing it wrong and still releasing it.

A Kindle is not as open as a Reader that handles ePub. ePub without DRM is open. KF8 & Mobi are not open. I've said this before and you've obviously skipped over my posts.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given all the issues with the PW, maybe Sony were waiting until they could get a front lit screen done right instead of doing it wrong and still releasing it.
If you look at the Kindle forum you'll see that the overwhelming majority of users are perfectly happy with the PW. The number of complains is very small.

Quote:
A Kindle is not as open as a Reader that handles ePub. ePub without DRM is open. KF8 & Mobi are not open. I've said this before and you've obviously skipped over my posts.
"Open" is much overrated, given the triviality of converting between ePub and KF8. Yes, you're right of course in saying that ePub is an "open standard" and KF8 isn't, but who gives a damn when you can seamlessly convert from one to the other? It doesn't make the slightest practical difference one way or the other.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #41
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
If you look at the Kindle forum you'll see that the overwhelming majority of users are perfectly happy with the PW. The number of complains is very small.
Agreed. My wife loves her Kindle PW.

Quote:
"Open" is much overrated, given the triviality of converting between ePub and KF8. Yes, you're right of course in saying that ePub is an "open standard" and KF8 isn't, but who gives a damn when you can seamlessly convert from one to the other? It doesn't make the slightest practical difference one way or the other.
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye in the same way that "Open" is only overrated until you cannot convert a DRM'ed ebook.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It wasn't all that small.

Quote:
I'm only going by what the OP is posting. The OP wants open and did not mention anything about converting. So, I'm still going to stick with my recommendation of a Reader that handles ePub. And because Amazon does not handle ePub, it's not open and it's not appropriate until the OP says otherwise.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #43
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtro View Post
Any "open" e-book readers without forced account system or similar? I just want to be able to buy the reader, unbox it and sideload books without the need to register an account or use the manufacturers proprietary software.
I would recommend the black basic Kindle USD 69 or Paperwhite USD 119. You take it out of the box, turn it on, and start putting content on it. It is open in that you do not have to register it. If you register it, it takes you about a minute and you do not need to give out anything but your email address, unlike with some other readers.

Apparently, people want to argue about what you meant with open, so you may want to explain some more. It reads many formats, but it does not read ePub. I personally could care less, but it may be important to you.

It also depends on where you live. What kind of ebook formats are supported by your public library, if you'd like to borrow them on your reader? In the US, you can use Kindle and ePub readers for public library ebooks, in Germany only ePub readers, for instance. Also, in some countries, Amazon has the best selection of ebooks - in some countries it does not sell any at all or the best selection is ePub - where do you live?

I agree with Harry in that Sony, right now, does not have a device with a higher resolution screen, which simply puts it in last year's reader category, like it or not. The T2 is not lit, has a lower rez screen, but costs around the same as a high-end Kindle Paperwhite. They may come up with a better device this year, but to invest in what I personally would call outdated technology for the price of cutting edge tech that is available from Amazon and Kobo is not something I would advise a friend to do.

Also check out this eader comparison, or PC Mag's reader info, or this comparison.

Last edited by xendula; 01-10-2013 at 01:22 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 AM   #44
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Given the title of this thread, though, I can understand the OP's wishes, because they are the same as mine.

I love that I have not had to "register" or have some third party babysit which books I own. My books are my books and I just want to stick them on there and go, and not be obligated to register in order to have basic things like collections and dictionaries.

I have not once turned on wifi, no need, because I am not an impulse book buyer who has book emergencies. I buy my books and stick them on calibre and then transfer them to my T2 when I need them.

I'm very comfortable with the fact that my e-reader is 'outdated' technology. I don't place a lot of importance on it, and neither do a lot of my Kindle 4 and Kobo Touch reading seatmates on the commute every morning. Since my e-reading needs are met, as well as the fact that I still borrow a lot of physical books from the public library, I'm good to go.

As for the T2's price, I got mine for less than $100 canadian during a sale. 9 dollars less than I paid for the Kindle 4.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I'm very comfortable with the fact that my e-reader is 'outdated' technology. I don't place a lot of importance on it, and neither do a lot of my Kindle 4 and Kobo Touch reading seatmates on the commute every morning. Since my e-reading needs are met, as well as the fact that I still borrow a lot of physical books from the public library, I'm good to go.
Valid points. But if you are buying a new reader now, for potential use for several years, it wouldn't make sense to me personally to buy something which is, at the time of purchase, "old" technology, unless there was some overwhelming reason to do so, such as a very heavily-discounted sale price.