Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Amazon prepping color Kindle w/ video streaming.

According to an article by zdnet.com Amazon is prepping a color Kindle with video streaming. It's all rumors at this point, but I thought the readers here would be interested.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
interesting, will have to see what the nook color 2 would be to counter.
Amazon has a sick overall ecosytem. I use them primarly for everything except ebooks.

BN would be wise to incorporate Google's budding ecosytem. they already to a certain degree use google books, but the Google Music and Google Movies is just starting to take off.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That would be interesting to see.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Ziff Davis is a trusted computer news source however from what my pals in the industry are telling me is that Amazon is preping more then simply a color kindle they are preparing a touch kindle and a kindle 4 with a longer lasting battery.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
None of these is particularly compelling to me, not enough to ditch my K3 and pick up a new model.

A color Kindle = tablet computer, which I don't really have a use for. Touch is okay but not a big deal, and I'm happy with the battery life of the K3.

I'm glad they aren't standing still, but you know, it's a device for reading text. I'm not sure how whiz-bang you can make that device, or want to make it.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've converted my trusty old HTC Touch Pro 2 phone over to Android and while it's still a little rough around the edges, I find that I really like all the apps and games that are available, even for my aging phone. I'm really interested to see what, if anything, Amazon does with an Android tablet. I hope it's a polished and solid system, but I think Android still has a bit further to go before it matches iOS.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I've converted my trusty old HTC Touch Pro 2 phone over to Android and while it's still a little rough around the edges, I find that I really like all the apps and games that are available, even for my aging phone. I'm really interested to see what, if anything, Amazon does with an Android tablet. I hope it's a polished and solid system, but I think Android still has a bit further to go before it matches iOS.
ummm try using an HTC Evo, Samsung Galaxy S or any of the Droids and then see if "android stil has a bit further to go before it matches iOS".
I mean comparing Android on a two year old phone that has 528Mgz processor and low RAM would be like comparing the Samsung Galaxy S II phone running Gingerbread with 1.2Mghz processor to the very first iOS of 2007.

just sayin

Last edited by boswd; 06-14-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
You wouldn't pick up a new Kindle 4 if the battery lasted considerably longer.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I imagine they would need to work on a longer lasting battery if they are going to have video. Otherwise the charge wouldn't last very long, especially if they are still using an eink display. Will be interesting to find out if they are actually going to do such or if it is just a rumor.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I imagine they would need to work on a longer lasting battery if they are going to have video. Otherwise the charge wouldn't last very long, especially if they are still using an eink display. Will be interesting to find out if they are actually going to do such or if it is just a rumor.

I'm almost quite certain this won't be an eink device but a 10 inch LCD Android tablet. Early reports are showing $399. My guess is the "Kindle" name will be branched out to beyond just ereader's .

they might do a full blown ereader skin, similiar to what the nook color is like, but I think they would be in place of your regular Kindle app. but the rest of the device when not in the kindle app would be similiar to what you would find on other competiting tablets.

Last edited by boswd; 06-14-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I see Amazon getting rid of the DX and replacing it with a Tablet, and having a touch eink screen to replace the K3.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I see Amazon getting rid of the DX and replacing it with a Tablet, and having a touch eink screen to replace the K3.
If they do this, I'll part ways with Amazon.

Why would anyone buy the Amazon tablet, when the new, super hi-res iPad is just around the corner?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
If they do this, I'll part ways with Amazon.

Why would anyone buy the Amazon tablet, when the new, super hi-res iPad is just around the corner?
how about price, connectivity, arguable a better ecosystem , and the fact that after a certain resolution it might not be as distinguisable to the human eye but only on paper?
Old 06-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
They might.
And they might also slip in a non-touch sub $99 pure text reader.
(and a $79 Special Offers version.)
Which together would sell 4 times as many units as the color and touch combined.

Let's not forget that Amazon's goal is to sell ebooks.
The gadgets are a means to that end.
Gold-plating the gadget gets headlines but not the customers.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Let's not forget that Amazon's goal is to sell ebooks.
and MP3's, and Audiobooks, and Streaming Video, and...

I'd think a tablet would certainly have a place in their lineup in addition to eInk readers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote