Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
Custom column not copying to another library..???

UPDATE: SOLVED as of post #9

What would keep a custom column that is based on other columns from copying into a new library?

I created a new library and copied the structure of the current.
I then took a section of books and copied them to the new one. This included multiple custom columns, 2 of which are based on info in other columns.
Only one of my custom columns (the latest only recently created) did not copy. I had to recreate it in the new library (which means restarts...grrr...).

Any "missing column" notification windows were checked off when I copied the files to create my test library so that couldn't be it.

How can this happen?

Last edited by jecilop; 12-17-2015 at 01:18 AM.
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecilop View Post
What would keep a custom column that is based on other columns from copying into a new library?

I created a new library and copied the structure of the current.
I then took a section of books and copied them to the new one. This included multiple custom columns, 2 of which are based on info in other columns.
Only one of my custom columns (the latest only recently created) did not copy. I had to recreate it in the new library (which means restarts...grrr...).

Any "missing column" notification windows were checked off when I copied the files to create my test library so that couldn't be it.

How can this happen?
The column is only Logical

Create a NEW library. be sure to tick 'use existing structure'

Then us Copy To Library to move those books from the one that it was missing from to the NEW one. that should do it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2015, 12:29 AM   #3
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The column is only Logical

Create a NEW library. be sure to tick 'use existing structure'

Then us Copy To Library to move those books from the one that it was missing from to the NEW one. that should do it
Yes, as noted (copied the structure of the original "use existing structure", boxed checked when creating), these are the steps I took. That's why it's odd.

I just tried it again with a newer custom column based off another (ie, a logical one) and went ahead and made another test column of text format just to see what would happen. Again, the logic column is NOT copying. It's not even popping up to let me know it doesn't exist in the other to give me the option to check the box to add it. However, the text column does.

Curious, I just tried it the opposite direction from the new library (existing structure copied) to the old existing one after adding new columns. That same exact problem exists in that direction.

The purpose of the new was to test a previous thread I have posted a few weeks back where the existing on has not been saving my column views upon exit. I have to hid columns again and rearrange them everytime. I did not have to change my column views for a long time. It was suggested that I have a corrupt database although everything else is fine. I can add new stuff and delete the old with no problem, but positioning isn't staying. However, it is working in other libraries. The suggestion was to try as I've noted. The new one does hold the column views.
It's is also worth noting that these are the first new logic columns I've created in a long time. The original two ARE copying without problems.
I need all of this working for other library management anyhow, especially if I have to redo my original large library and copy files over to a new directory and thus create a new, hopefully-not-corrupt database assuming that's the column view issue.

The only other test I have before inquiring as to a buggy state is to create a NEW library from scratch, add an entry and new logic column, and then try to copy that new info to another library to see if it works.....So now this is done...Fresh..no structure copied...
I just tried it....THE SAME PROBLEM exists...
COMPLETELY NEW LIBRARY.
The column views do hold in the new, fresh library so the view problem is unique to my original, LARGE library.
Created a text column and a logic column in the new, fresh library.
Tried to copy into the other test that was created with the copied structure.
The only option popped up was the text column..nothing about the logic column. SO THAT ISN"T WORKING.
Tried another NEW, fresh library to see if it would copy there without issue.

Again, NO LOGIC CUSTOM COLUMNS are NOT COPYING to another library whether they are new or old or the library is from a copied structure or completely new.

This last test was two completely new libraries with completely new logic columns and text custom columns. Only the text custom columns popped up as "not existing in the destination library" to give me the checkbox to choose them.
Looking at the list of all columns, visible or not, in the destination library also proves they are not there.

So unless you or someone else knows something, I have to wonder if something changed in an update.

This is a longer than expected reply, but I ended up running the gammut of test to ensure I wasn't missing anything I can think of and give a comparison for someone else to test or bug check.

Has anyone tested copying a logic column to another library lately?
Old 11-17-2015, 01:24 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@jecilop - I think you're right, columns built from other columns (logical, composite, virtual, derived....) are not appearing in the columns to copy list - viz,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	143844

That library is my test library it was created on 2014-09-02 - there are no errors reported by Check Library.

I can't be certain I personally ever used this for a library with composite columns in the past.

What I can say though, is that the calibredb -- clone command will copy all the custom columns including the composite columns. I was able to copy my test library to a clone with no problems - at a glance everything looks OK.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-17-2015 at 01:32 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:39 AM   #5
jecilop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@jecilop - I think you're right, columns built from other columns (logical, composite, virtual, derived....) are not appearing in the columns to copy list - viz,

Attachment 143844

That library is my test library it was created on 2014-09-02 - there are no errors reported by Check Library.

I can't be certain I personally ever used this for a library with composite columns in the past.

What I can say though, is that the calibredb -- clone command will copy all the custom columns including the composite columns. I was able to copy my test library to a clone with no problems - at a glance everything looks OK.

BR

Hmmm..that looks like something I'll have to devote hours to figuring out how to use despite the link...I hope to get to it. I definitely need to use it as the custom columns are complicated and time consuming to recreate.
I have reported it using this thread as a bug.

THANK YOU for testing!
NOTE: I've replied to another thread you gave advice on for me on permanent column views. I hope you get a chance to reply.
Advert
Old 11-17-2015, 02:24 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecilop View Post
Hmmm..that looks like something I'll have to devote hours to figuring out how to use despite the link...I hope to get to it. I definitely need to use it as the custom columns are complicated and time consuming to recreate.
I have reported it using this thread as a bug.

THANK YOU for testing!
NOTE: I've replied to another thread you gave advice on for me on permanent column views. I hope you get a chance to reply.
@jecilop - at command line something like this

Code:
calibredb clone --library-path "path to existing library" "path to new library"

eg

calibredb clone --library-path "D:\CalibreLibraries\_Test" "D:\CalibreLibraries\_TestClone"
In File/Windows Explorer a shift right-click on a folder or file will give a "Copy as Path" option, it copies the path to clipboard so you can paste into command - don't ask why, its all part of TPTB 'dumbing down' strategy

You do not need to create the folder for the new library, the clone command will take care of that

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

I don't think this gonna help you... but for me everything works just fine.

I created a new library (using the existing structure), and all the custom columns were there, including those built out of other columns. When I copied a couple of books to the new library, all the data was there, too, looking just the same as in the old library.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This has now been fixed in source: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...8cb1f3f330a11d
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
jecilop
Addict

Thank you everyone for helping and testing too.

@Joanna, I'm curious if you are on version 2.44 when testing. I was going to tell you that they are fixing this (with caveats for the user) in the next release, but @eschwartz beat me to it.
Reply only if you feel like it. Were your custom columns just combinations of existing info, or were they some sort of if/then or mathematical computation? My question is just curiosity at this point.

Last edited by jecilop; 11-18-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

@jecilop, yes, I'm on 2.44. The custom columns were not very complex, here an example:
{#dziedziny:'list_difference(re($, '\.', ', '), ': LANG, science', ',')'}
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #11
jecilop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
@jecilop, yes, I'm on 2.44. The custom columns were not very complex, here an example:
{#dziedziny:'list_difference(re($, '\.', ', '), ': LANG, science', ',')'}
@Joanna,
While I get that something that looks like that can actually be simple, it is rather funny to read "not very complex" and see that

It's interesting that it worked for you. I look forward to the update to see if it works for me.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You want complex, take a look at one of my early works -- a bespoke plugboard written for @nynaevelan
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2721289

P.S. I prefer working almost exclusively in General Program Mode; it shows.
Even the simple ones invoke calls to things like

Code:
program:

finish_formatting(
	field('series_index'),
	'0>5.2f',
	', Book',
	')'
)

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-18-2015 at 10:15 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom column, new library