Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #91
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay

Amazon - Price: $13.51 (Hardcover)

Connect - $19.96???
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM   #92
whatnopaper
Alien life form
whatnopaper is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo tablet, Forma, iPad
The Omnivores Dilemma - Michael Pollan

Connect - $21.56
Amazon - $10.88

The readers dillema
whatnopaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2007, 07:05 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Folks, as well as posting here, please give Sony a call to let them know of these silly prices so that can hopefully fix them.

You can contact the eBook Customer Support Team via email or by phone at 877-CNECTME (877-263-2863).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #94
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
A number of issues I would like to respectfully adress:

After approx. 7 months, it appears that Connect has not only lowered the price of Neal Stephenson's trilogy (The Baroque Cycle), but has also - FINALLY! - corrected the mispricing from one link to another link.

I spent approx. 1/2 of my life (I'm 56) working at bookstores and also as a buyer for (at that time), the largest independent bookstore in Arkansas.

I could construct a very lengthy letter here - but I will not - stating all I know about how discounts, shipping, profit-margins, remainders, membership discounts, stripped returns, net pricing, returns, database managment of inventory, loss leaders, supplemental stock and other avenues of profitabilitiy [audio books, cafes, greeting cards, games, etc.], and how a class-action suit brought by independents years ago has impacted upon the book trade.

Some of the arguments posted on this thread (I'm talking logic and knowledge here) are simply erronenous.

I want to also make it very clear that I have been OUT of the book trade since 1989. Full disclosure.

I also want to make it clear that I know NOTHING about contractual content vis-a-vis ebook publishing/marketing.

There is a further confusion here as well, regarding book format: Hardback; mass market paperback; and trade paperback.

I just want to point out - with my contribution toward some further understanding the complexity of these issues - that I am a book lover with some marketing/selling knowledge, and that I am ALSO AN INDIVIDUAL WITH A HUGE AMOUNT OF IGNORANCE.

I'm not manufacturing any knowledge here; rather, I want to let everyone know about my strengths AND weaknesses.

Anecedotal information: Even when we were selling law books for the UALR School of Law, and purchasing said books from West at net pricing, and paying approx. 17% in shipping costs to get the cartons of casebooks, hornbooks, legal aids, etc. here, we had to price them accordingly in order to realize a profit and to also deal with overhead, salaries, damaged returns (time) --; even dealing with all these issues, there were still complaints about why were we charging such high prices for these textbooks.

It's like trying to explain to someone that if you are a member of this bookstore and you get 10% from a book that is already 10% off, the total wasn't actually 20%. Rather, when you take 10% from something and then take 10% again from that same something, you actually end up with 19% discount. [Try it with a $1.00 and see what you get.]

With all due respect to the syllogistic argruments circulating here, but there are contributing factors at present that add to a very complex issue.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-01-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:59 AM   #95
FuzzyGamer
FuzzyGamer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Accelerando, by Charles Stross

First of all, this thread should be a sticky, it took me a bit to find it again.

The book is Accelerando, by Charles Stross. It's 6.39$ at the Connect store and, get this, free here, care of Mr Stross himself. Which I found out only after buying the book from Connect.

He also put up a number of other novels and short stories online, but none of them are on Connect. Yet.

So, this is what a money-printing operation looks like.
FuzzyGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #96
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Fuzzy, it's not only Connect where you can find e-books offered for free elsewhere. Accelerando, for instance, is offered for $7.99 @ eBooks.com. Not cool, I know, but this is how things are right now.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #97
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
* Title - The World Without Us
* Author - Alan Weisman
* Connect - $19.96
* Amazon - $14.97 B&N - $17.46
* Format - Hard Cover

I emailed Sony on this and got the following response:

Hello,

Thanks for writing Sony Connect!

When publishers determine the pricing for print books (their “List Price”), they determine a separate List Price for the eBook version which is usually less expensive than the print counterpart (sometimes 40% less). CONNECT then provides an additional 20% discount to the customer. Some publishers have decided to keep their eBook prices the same as print book prices, other book retailers may discount that print title more than 20%, which would result in a deeper discount. We continue to work with these publishers to urge them to discount their eBook List Prices to provide you with the best eBook experience possible.

Separately, please keep in mind that with eBooks, there are no shipping fees or sales tax, and you get the benefit of instant gratification.

Sincerely,
Erica H
Sony Connect
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:36 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
* Title - The World Without Us
* Author - Alan Weisman
* Connect - $19.96
* Amazon - $14.97 B&N - $17.46
* Format - Hard Cover
MobiPocket has the same book for $24.95. And I cannot find it in LIT format at any of the shops I've looked at.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #99
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
* Title: The Virtu
* Author: Sarah Monette
* Sony Connect price: $19.96
* Amazon, Borders Bookstores, Barnes & Noble: $7.99
* Available in mass market paperback

I've already emailed them and was told they would contact the publisher and email me with an update. Then then emailed me again a couple of days later to tell me that since I didn't contact them again, they considered the problem solved. I emailed them back to correct that notion.

Still no change in the price. :-(

ETA: I just took a look at the publisher's website and lo and behold, the problem: they have the paperback at 7.99 and the hardcover and ebook at 24.95. I guess I'll be reading the public library copy and waiting until I can pick up a used p-back copy.

Last edited by Mikou; 08-12-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #100
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Good news for me and other fans of Sarah Monette. The Connect price is now 7.99, same as the p-back, so I bought it today. Don't want to miss out on the chance, in case it reverts in the future. I don't know if it was my email or my post here that made the difference, but either way thanks to all here. If not for this thread, I wouldn't have contacted anyone at all. :-)
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:50 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Joseph Finder's [i]Paranoia/i] is priced at $15.16 when the paper edition is MMPB and a LOT less.

http://ebooks.connect.com/product/40...000035896.html