Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
romi
CyBook Gen3 fan
romi began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Backing up original firmware before update

Hi everyone,

As I'm considering whether to update my Gen3 from its original firmware (bought before summer last year) to 1.5 and 2.0 I'd like to be on the safe side and keep the door of reverting any changes open.

Is this possible? Do I need to only copy everything I see when Gen3 is mounted to my HDD and put it back if I decide to revert to old firmware?

I'd much prefer an option to have mobi + improved PDF support, but this combination is not possible I understand as mobi is included with 1.5 and the improved (cropped margins) PDF with 2.0.

Regards,

Roman
romi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Nope. I just updated and all was there.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
As far as I know, it's not possible to back up the previous firmware if you don't have the corresponding installation files (which you would then backup).
I don't think the firmware is accessible on the USB-mounted drives.

I'd be glad to be wrong, though, so if anybody knows better, feel free to post.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
romi
CyBook Gen3 fan

According to this CyBook Gen3 Wiki there is a way to save system folder. Though, I don't believe that is the actual firmware.

A different question you may help me answer would be:
Will installing 1.5 upgrade keep the same PDF support I enjoy with previous [pre 24.12.2009] firmware or completely kill PDF support?

Cheers,
Roman
Old 02-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
1.5 is the best so far. It will do all you want. I would not see why anyone would then revert to an older firmware.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I second that.

With the last version you get better little tricks and loose nothing of you have already - talking about the 1.5, as the 2.0, aka ePub version did not exist “officially” for our Cybooks before.

Just upgrade and enjoy.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
One more tip: just personal experience here.

You get nothing special from the “improved” PDF “crop” in the 2.0 version… it’s just fireworks.
You get 99% of the same you will get from the 1.5 version, as (my opinion again) the “cropping” PDF function does not give you almost nothing new.
Hey, using SoPDF (you can find it free here in the forum) gives you much better results in this department.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #8
romi
CyBook Gen3 fan

Everyone,

Thank you for your feedback, it's just what I wanted to hear. I'll update ASAP.

Regarding the PDF: My wife has the latest Kindle and the PDF there is cropped making the text easier to read. I wish I could adjust the zoom to 105 or 110% on CyBook Gen3; that would solve all my problems with one book I'm reading.

Thanks for your fast replies,
Roman
Old 02-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #9
MarlaChristy
MarlaChristy began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
I disagree about the pdf cropping not adding anything.

Most of the the pdfs I have (as few as possible since I think pdf is one of the plagues of modern life), are now readable "out of the box". No fiddling around finding the right zoom size.

Makes them much less annoying to read.
MarlaChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #10
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
2.0 add support for DRMed PDF that the 1.5 still lack (and this due, like always, to the Mobi SDK License...)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote