Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
Librerator - multi-format e-reader, fork of KPV

WARNING!!!

Librerator R2 is now more than 4 years old. Although it is a fork of awesome Kindle PDF Viewer (KPV), it was made by an incompetent person. As a result, Librerator was, and still is, a crappy software full of bugs (as I've been told repeatedly. It works fine for me though). It WILL NOT be updated. The bugs WILL NOT be fixed, and new features WILL NOT be added. Generally speaking,

YOU SHOULD NOT USE IT!

If you are looking for highly polished piece of work that supports every feature you can think of, in a way you imagined, with a skilled and sympathetic developer ready to assist you at a moment's notice, this is not it. Keep looking.

I hope you will take the above warning seriously and avoid unnecessarily wasting your precious time.

If you're, however, desperate, you're welcome to try it out. Bear in mind that, due to the miniscule user base, in case of problems you will most likely not get help even if you ask nicely on this thread, so be prepared to be on your own.

Librerator - multi-format e-reader, fork of KindlePDFViewer

Librerator (just like KPV) is a multi-format e-book reader. It supports multiple formats: pdf, djvu, mobi, epub, cbz, fb2, html, chm, txt, rtf, doc, xps, zip and jpg/jpeg.

Compared to the original KPV, Librerator is much more configurable and has more features (at least at this point of time). They can both be safely installed on the same Kindle, and won’t affect each other, in case you want to compare them and see what you like better.

Some of the features:
  • works on K2/K3/KDX and K4NT
  • new set of bigger icons
  • Menus - in adition to the keyboard shortcuts, everything can be accessed via menu too
  • K4NT specific shortcuts (considering it’s lack of keys)
  • high configurability - almost everything can be changed/set editing defaults.lua configuration file.
  • all strings moved to a single file - allowing easy localization
  • user configurable keyboard layout, if you need to use national characters
  • added First Page Offset option - usefull when your book has first pages numbered as i, ii, iii, iv etc. and the real page 1 is actually page 17
  • added setting gamma through inputting value in a dialog
  • better support for CREReader - now it uses page view mode by default (tnx to dave2008), and hyphenation (tnx to tigran123). You can set not only document font as default (like in KPV), but also font size and line spacing.
  • remembers all user settings and opens documents exactly as you left them
  • Reflow config and following links now available for K4NT users too

New in Librerator R2 (highlights)
  • Drastically improved opening speed of crereader documents (epub/mobi/fb2) if the file has been opened at least once before.
  • Added fast navigation using fw_left/fw_right (-10/+10 pages) in crereader.
  • Home key can be set to toggle creheader in crereader instead of Info
  • Info now shows title and authors of the document in crereader.
  • Hyphenation can be turned off for crereader documents editing defaults.lua
  • A user can now use custom style sheets for crereader documents. Selection is saved per document.
  • Various bugfixes

You can see full list of changes here.

User’s Guide is available on wiki.

Instructions for KUAL (should work on K2/K3/KDX and K4NT)
(Tested only on K3, and only briefly, because I prefer launchpad. Seemed to work fine, though)
  • Install KUAL.
  • download librerator-R2.zip attached to this post and extract its contents to your Kindle's flash root
  • download librerator_kual.zip attached to this post and extract its contents to your Kindle's flash root

Instructions (for K2/KDX/K3) (tested only on K3).
  • install jailbreak
  • install launchpad (kite should also work, but I didn’t test that)
  • download librerator-R2.zip attached to this post and put it on your Kindle in “customupdates” folder
  • press Shift-Shift-I and wait about a minute.
  • press Shift-Shift-Space
You can now start Librerator pressing Shift-L-L.
Problems? Try this. Or forget about launchpad and follow instructions for KUAL above.

Instructions (for K4NT)
(deprecated - skip this and follow the instructions for KUAL above)

Spoiler:
Previously posted instructions that used cr3runner to start Librerator have been removed. See here why.

Disclaimer: I didn’t test any of this! I only have K3! I do believe that this should work, but hey, what do I know... I’m just a noob. Use at your own risk.

Although I did the best I could to make it work, and some users reported that it works for them (Iņigo, lovexiuxiu, jsfaint, benalb...), there are also reports that it bricked their Kindle (drauger). So, just in case you missed it the first time:

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Note: Kite was the only available option for K4NT at first. However, I recommend using KUAL instead now.
  • install jailbreak
  • install Kite
  • download librerator-R2.zip attached to this post and extract its contents to your Kindle's flash root
If you have trouble installing Kite on K4NT, you might find this Iņigo's post helpful.

UPDATE:
Good news for K4NT users - lovexiuxiu posted update package for installing Kite on K4NT. You can get it here.
After jailbreak, all you need to do now is download the file update_kite_0.0.1_install-k4.rar attached to that post. Unrar it, and you'll have 2 files. Put update_kite_0.0.1_install-k4.bin on the flash root of your K4NT, and then go [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. After your Kindle restarts, proceed with step 3 above.

I don't know if it'll work on both new and old version of K4NT, so please comment if it works for you.

If this doesn't work for you, and you’re more of a savvy user, you can try starting it using ssh, going into librerator folder on your kindle and typing
Code:
./librerator.sh /mnt/us/documents

Links:
  • Original KindlePDFViewer thread
  • KOReader - Evolved version of KindlePDFViewer - Supports touch devices: Kindle Touch and Kindle Paper White

librerator-R1.zip (7.94MB, 139 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip librerator-R2.zip (8.04 MB, 12181 views)
File Type: pdf LibreratorK4NTshortcutkeys.pdf (66.4 KB, 6129 views)
File Type: zip librerator_kual.zip (991 Bytes, 7214 views)

Last edited by Kai771; 01-27-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tũr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Will have a play. appreciate your efforts

EDIT: This is now the recommended KUAL solution for the Kindle 4.

As outlined HERE
Thanks

Last edited by twobob; 03-04-2013 at 11:43 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Why forking?
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Awesome! Finally K4 support! hope that someone can give it a try to make sure it is working I knew that many people are waiting for it. Since Kai771 merge the K4 support code from our new ui code base, it should work for K4 because I have already tested it in K4 ;p

@eureka:

Developers for freesoftware come from different backgrouds around the world, thus it's pretty often to see people hold different opinions on one thing. When they cannot reach on an agreement, one of them will fork...

If you go through our discussion in pull requests, you will be able to find out the reason. I still hope that one day Kai771 can merge librerator back to KPV. But, yeah, if works for him, that's still a good thing. After all, Kai771 is the one who add the menu for K4, not us and many k4 users will benifit from it ;p

Last edited by dave2008; 12-06-2012 at 05:56 PM.
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
@eureka:

Developers for freesoftware come from different backgrouds around the world, thus it's pretty often to see people hold different opinions on one thing. When they cannot reach on an agreement, one of them will fork...

If you go through our discussion in pull requests, you will be able to find out the reason. I still hope that one day Kai771 can merge librerator back to KPV. But, yeah, if works for him, that's still a good thing. After all, Kai771 is the one who add the menu for K4, not us and many k4 users will benifit from it ;p
Sorry, I didn't know that forking reason was already constructively discussed with authors of original version...
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
No, indeed we did not. Both sides were not calm enough to land on a constructive discussion at that time. Things just happened ;p
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

@dave2008

I never doubted that your code works. It's my use of it that's questionable .
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
aranwe
Enthusiast
aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

any possibility of porting to K5? ... since - if i understand correctly - it uses coolreader which is already ported to K5 it shouldn't be problematic?
btw: I wanted to try it but there is no librerator folder in zip archive in the link for K4NT - neither is any librerator.sh ... there are what appears to be sources
aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
Kai771
Just a Noob

@aranwe

Thank you for your interest in Librerator.

Librerator will not work on Kindle Touch or Kindle Paper White. (actually, it might display the screen, but none of the controls would work. You need buttons ). It does not use CoolReader 3. The instructons for K4NT are instructions to use launcher of CoolReader 3 (cr3runner) to start Librerator, since I didn't find any other launcher for K4NT. If someone makes a working update package of Kite for K4NT, it will be easier.

Librerator (as well as KPV) uses crengine (among other things), and that is not the problem. The problem is the user interface. Archive librerator-prerelease.1.zip does contain librerator folder (as well as launchpad and kite folders) and there is a librerator.sh file in librerator folder. You probably made some mistake, and downloaded something else (like, you clicked on "download as zip". You should click on librerator-prerelease.1.zip under Download Packages). Still, if you don't have K4NT (or K2/KDX/K3) - don't bother, it won't work.

I have no plans to support Kindle Touch and Kindle Paper White since I don't have them, and am unlikely to get them. However, dave2008 and chrox are working on KPW and KT support for KPV.

Last edited by Kai771; 12-07-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
This sounds so interesting for K4NT owners!!!

Tried, but does not work.
Message in crash.log when running from the shell:
Quote:
lua config error: ./screen.lua:91: /sys/module/eink_fb_hal_broads/parameters/bs_orientation: No such file or directory
K4NT, with firmware 4.1.0, rooted. Tried kite and launching from shell via wifi.

Thanks for your work,
Iņigo

PS: contents of /sys/module:
[root@kindle librerator]# ls /sys/module/
ar6003 eink_fb_shim fuse lockd nf_conntrack sdhci tequila_keypad
arcotg_udc eink_fb_waveform g_file_storage mx_sdhci nf_conntrack_ipv4 spurious uinput
eink_fb_hal ext4 kernel mxc_epdc_fb nfs sunrpc volume
eink_fb_hal_fslepdc fiveway keyboard mxc_keyb printk tcp_cubic vt

Last edited by Iņigo; 12-07-2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Added contents of /sys/module
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
This sounds so interesting for K4NT owners!!!

Tried, but does not work.
Message in crash.log when running from the shell:
Code:
lua config error: ./screen.lua:91: /sys/module/eink_fb_hal_broads/parameters/bs_orientation: No such file or directory
K4NT, with firmware 4.1.0, rooted. Tried kite and launching from shell via wifi.

Thanks for your work,
Iņigo
Typo?
s/broads/boards/
I don't think wide bottomed women have any part in the code.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
Kai771
Just a Noob

@Iņigo

Thank you so much for your reply. I was really interested if it would work.

I'll take a look when I get home. Hope you'll be willing to test any changes I make.

In the meantime, I'd like to hear some comments from K3 users too.

Regards,
Kai771
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Typo?
s/broads/boards/
I don't think wide bottomed women have any part in the code.
I think there is one behind every successful man ... or code
"Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round"...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I think there is one behind every successful man ... or code
"Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round"...
There was (is) a missing "as variable names" phrase in that quoted sentence.

The intent of the sentence was that "boards" was a much more likely part of the name than "broads".
It was just my messing up my sentence structure (again) that gave the wrong impression.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Hi again,

It's working now.
I'll detail below the few modifications I've made:

1. "lua config error: ./screen.lua:91: /sys/module/eink_fb_hal_broads/parameters/bs_orientation: No such file or directory"

=> comment lines91-93, set "self.cur_rotation_mode = 0"

2. "com.lab126.tts failed to access property TtsISpeed (0x3 lipcErrNoSuchSource)
com.lab126.audio failed to access property Volume (0x3 lipcErrNoSuchSource)
lua config error: ./dialog.lua:225: attempt to compare number with nil"

=> function InfoMessage:getSoundVolume() -> comment everything, "return 0"

Is there any place where I could change settings (font name and size, toolbar like in cr3, keybindings, etc)? Zoom and Settings entries in menu don't work for .fb2 files.

Thanks,
Iņigo

PS:
1. "Manually set BBox" crash app in non-pdf files, but allows selecting bbox and does not use it
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, epub, fb2, pdf, reader