Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manis View Post
Based on downloads from the Baen site, it appears that Kindle and Mobipockedt are identical - the downloaded Kindle file has the .prc file extension. Not having a Kindle, the .prc may not work but... Something to check out?
What it is is that the Kindle can read DRM free Mobipocket eBooks. They are not identical otherwise. The DRM for AZW eBooks is based on Mobipocket with some minor difference.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
nope, I still haven't bought anything. so much time thinking about it and still haven't gone ahead and bought anything. maybe I should just spend the money and get an iliad.

jswolf: you keep shitting on hanlin for their format support, ... but, if you ignore drm they support more file formats then their competitors. They have nearly the best non-drm format support available as far as I know. I'm probably pretty much ignoring DRM. I'd like mobipocket support, but even if I had it I probably wouldn't buy any mobipocket books.

I was going to buy a hanlin, but then I found out they have special pricing for selling it locally (I'm in China).

I'd probably buy a gen3, but I don't like the idea of paying for something and having no idea when I'll get it. plus I emailed them once and they never responded... and they seem to ignore comments on their own blog.

maybe the 505 wouldn't be so bad. I guess it's the cheapest. I'd have to get it sent from the US though. such a hassle. I mean, I know this is an early-adopter sort of thing, ... but it seems so difficult just to get a hold of one. Two aren't sold outside the US, one is out of stock, one has absurd local pricing schemes if I buy from CLOSER to the company (and doesn't take credit cards), and one costs 700$.

I've never even seen any one of these things in person.
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #18
nairbv
Connoisseur

and... right, ....unencrypted mobi pocket files are compatible with the kindle, .... but you can't buy mobipocket books and use them on a kindle, so essentially (I'm in china) the kindle wouldn't even have any viable DRM support for me. I'd be paying an extra hundred bucks for worse format support (I don't think they support many non-encrypted formats right?) and wifi I couldn't use.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairbv View Post
and... right, ....unencrypted mobi pocket files are compatible with the kindle, .... but you can't buy mobipocket books and use them on a kindle, so essentially (I'm in china) the kindle wouldn't even have any viable DRM support for me. I'd be paying an extra hundred bucks for worse format support (I don't think they support many non-encrypted formats right?) and wifi I couldn't use.
Actually, you can buy and read Mobipocket ebooks for the Kindle. You just have to remove the DRM first.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
nairbv,

Did you find out if HanLin supports search or dictionary look up? The Sony is nice hardware but it supports neither. Like you, I was really shocked when I first realized that. I'd seen the Sony in my local electronics shop and was blown away by the screen and the look of the device. I went home and immediately started researching it and was quite appalled to find out that it wouldn't do two things that I thought would be basic features for an electronic reading device. It still shocks me how few options there are out there. One would think that if you have processing power and texts that it would be natural to want to go beyond simply displaying pages. Sadly, there aren't many readers out there that do this.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2008, 03:21 AM   #21
nairbv
Connoisseur

@natethegreat:

mobipocket DRM is cracked? where do you find the software to crack it? I mean, ... if the DRM can be removed then you can play mobipocket files on absolutely any device (including the hanlin), since, if the DRM can be removed, the file can be converted to any format. I didn't get the impression that mobipocket DRM was so easy to remove. I mean, ... isn't that the whole point of the DRM??

@Alisa:

Yeah, I also find it shocking the lack of availability of a decent e-ink ebook reader. I'm pretty sure only the kindle, the cybook gen3, and the iliad have dictionary lookup (I'm assuming on the iliad since it has touch screen but I don't actually know that it does). Only the kindle and iliad have ways to input text, and then the cybook does it with a navigational button to highlight a word you want to lookup.

and, I'm pretty sure only the amazon and iliad (assuming again on iliad) will actually search a book for quotes, since those are the only two that can actually input text.

I think I read somewhere on here too though, ... that some of these, (maybe the sony?) claim they can take 2gb SD cards but people say if you put more than 5-10 books on it, the device freaks out and won't work, or slows down to the point of being unbearable. false advertising in my mind. I'd like to put a few gigabytes of documents on SD cards and always have them with me. That's the half the point of these things in my mind, the whole idea that I can have a library in my pocket. If I can only have a few books on it, can't search it, and can't conveniently look up words, ... what's the advantage over pbooks? saving a couple of pounds?

I'd probably go ahead and by a cybook if: 1, they were responsive, and 2, if I didn't have to pay for it months before I could buy it. It seems like the company could go belly up at any moment, and all the people who pre-paid would just be shit out of luck. It sounds shady. Besides, I hardly stay in one place long enough to have an address that I could order it to and then wait that long.

I'd have already bought a hanlin v3 if they would have sold it to me at the price quoted on the English version their web page. Now I'm feeling a little weirded out by them.

I'm somewhat inclined to buy an iliad, but $700 is a lot of money to pay for something I've never even seen.

I don't like the kindle, because I'm pissed at amazon for shitting on their customers... buying mobipocket and then adding a new deliberately incompatible ebook format, but also I'm not in the US so their wireless service is useless to me.

I in general don't like the idea of sony or amazon since they're so US-centric, but maybe the sony is starting to look a little better. If no first-rate device is available yet, at least I could be paying less money for whatever second-rate device I buy. I want *something* to read on, and hopefully the sony would at least be that.

I don't know though..... again, .... if I can't really fill it with gigabytes of books and documents, then what's the point?

oh... and I can't remember if sony supports chinese fonts. I don't want to buy a device that only handles roman characters. I know they all support it in PDF files, but I hate PDF files. I want native support for chinese characters. I know the hanlin has this, and I've read that you can install chinese fonts on the cybook. the iliad has a chinese version, but it uses some different "ids" that doesn't permit shell access. I'm not sure if you can get chinese characters on the european version. I'm not sure about the sony or kindle.

I'm a little frustrated that after wasting all this time researching these things my search hasn't been fruitful. maybe I need to stop thinking about it until there's something better on the market. I've got plenty of pbooks anyways (and should be studying for my chinese classes, not reading english at all). it's really hard to stop thinking about it though.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Heavens - you're terribly negative about it all, nairbv. I'm sure you'd be happy with any eInk device; I'm owned a few, and they've all been great. I have a CyBook at the moment which, for me, is the best yet.

Bookeen have been in the eBook reader business longer than any other manufacturer in the business - I think it's somewhat unlikely that they'll go "belly up at any moment" . In what way do you find them "unresponsive", may I ask?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@natethegreat:

mobipocket DRM is cracked? where do you find the software to crack it? I mean, ... if the DRM can be removed then you can play mobipocket files on absolutely any device (including the hanlin), since, if the DRM can be removed, the file can be converted to any format. I didn't get the impression that mobipocket DRM was so easy to remove. I mean, ... isn't that the whole point of the DRM??
The program is called "mobidedrm" and it is written in python. You'll also need a python emulator to run it.

The really great part is the DRM stripper enables Mac and Linux users to buy Mobipocket ebooks and read them with FBReader.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'd probably go ahead and by a cybook if: 1, they were responsive, and 2, if I didn't have to pay for it months before I could buy it.
Why don't you buy one from BooksOnBoard... I think they have them in stock.

Bob
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #25
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
re: Books on Board

As of Wednesday......they're now out.

....and it doesn't look like NAEB is going to make the 100 unit minimum for their March order. Talk about frustrating!

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Why don't you buy one from BooksOnBoard... I think they have them in stock.

Bob
I think they only ship within North America, don't they?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The program is called "mobidedrm" and it is written in python. You'll also need a python emulator to run it.

The really great part is the DRM stripper enables Mac and Linux users to buy Mobipocket ebooks and read them with FBReader.
Emulator? Why not use actual Python?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
@Alisa:

Yeah, I also find it shocking the lack of availability of a decent e-ink ebook reader. I'm pretty sure only the kindle, the cybook gen3, and the iliad have dictionary lookup (I'm assuming on the iliad since it has touch screen but I don't actually know that it does). Only the kindle and iliad have ways to input text, and then the cybook does it with a navigational button to highlight a word you want to lookup.

and, I'm pretty sure only the amazon and iliad (assuming again on iliad) will actually search a book for quotes, since those are the only two that can actually input text.
Yes, the Kindle and the iLiad are the only two currently that you are looking at that can search. The Gen3 and 505 cannot search.

Quote:
I think I read somewhere on here too though, ... that some of these, (maybe the sony?) claim they can take 2gb SD cards but people say if you put more than 5-10 books on it, the device freaks out and won't work, or slows down to the point of being unbearable. false advertising in my mind. I'd like to put a few gigabytes of documents on SD cards and always have them with me. That's the half the point of these things in my mind, the whole idea that I can have a library in my pocket. If I can only have a few books on it, can't search it, and can't conveniently look up words, ... what's the advantage over pbooks? saving a couple of pounds?
You can put a lot more then 5-6 eBook on an SD card and none of the devices will freak out. Granted, if you put on too much content, the 505 will slow down. I cannot speak for the others as I have no experience. But, I do have about 85 eBook on my 505's internal memory. So when are you going to actually be able to read 85 books before you have access to your computer again to sort out content? Why is it you need a few gigs work of eBooks at one time to carry around?

Quote:
I'd probably go ahead and by a cybook if: 1, they were responsive, and 2, if I didn't have to pay for it months before I could buy it. It seems like the company could go belly up at any moment, and all the people who pre-paid would just be shit out of luck. It sounds shady. Besides, I hardly stay in one place long enough to have an address that I could order it to and then wait that long.
Have you tried emailing Bookeen again? They do respond. Did you check your spam filters? The ones on the actual website where your mail comes from? It's not Bookeens fault you move too much.

[quote]I'd have already bought a hanlin v3 if they would have sold it to me at the price quoted on the English version their web page. Now I'm feeling a little weirded out by them.

Quote:
I'm somewhat inclined to buy an iliad, but $700 is a lot of money to pay for something I've never even seen.
I do have to agree there.

Quote:
I don't like the kindle, because I'm pissed at amazon for shitting on their customers... buying mobipocket and then adding a new deliberately incompatible ebook format, but also I'm not in the US so their wireless service is useless to me.
]
Who said Amazon is shitting on their customers? BooksOnBoard bought eReader and yet they also sell the Gen3 which does not handle eReader at all DRM or not.

Quote:
I in general don't like the idea of sony or amazon since they're so US-centric, but maybe the sony is starting to look a little better. If no first-rate device is available yet, at least I could be paying less money for whatever second-rate device I buy. I want *something* to read on, and hopefully the sony would at least be that.
According to what someone found out, the Sony may be being sold in the uK sometime in April (We hope).

Quote:
I don't know though..... again, .... if I can't really fill it with gigabytes of books and documents, then what's the point?
What is the point of having to have gigabytes of content with you at all times? When will you finish it all without wanting to swap content around?

Quote:
oh... and I can't remember if sony supports chinese fonts. I don't want to buy a device that only handles roman characters. I know they all support it in PDF files, but I hate PDF files. I want native support for chinese characters. I know the hanlin has this, and I've read that you can install chinese fonts on the cybook. the iliad has a chinese version, but it uses some different "ids" that doesn't permit shell access. I'm not sure if you can get chinese characters on the european version. I'm not sure about the sony or kindle.
I know with he 505 you can hack it to change the fonts. There is a hack now that will do a temp font change which does work. So you don't have to risk bricking it.

Quote:
I'm a little frustrated that after wasting all this time researching these things my search hasn't been fruitful. maybe I need to stop thinking about it until there's something better on the market. I've got plenty of pbooks anyways (and should be studying for my chinese classes, not reading english at all). it's really hard to stop thinking about it though.
Why is the research a waste of time? Do you just want to plop down $300-$450 just to get something you won't like because you didn't do the research?

Why is it you have such a negative attitude toward all of the available eink devices?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Emulator? Why not use actual Python?
If you're going to nitpick, please provide some useful info.

I know I should have said virtual machine. And yes, I know the difference. I used "emulator" because I thought a nongeek would understand python emulator better than the acronym PVM.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If you're going to nitpick, please provide some useful info.

I know I should have said virtual machine. And yes, I know the difference. I used "emulator" because I thought a nongeek would understand python emulator better than the acronym PVM.
Python can be downloaded from http://www.python.org. Once installed then you can run Python programs. Python is an interpreted language. So you run the actual code and it gets interpreted and does what it's coded to do.