Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 05:18 AM   #16
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Having a non-US iTunes account doesn't seem to be an issue. I can download Amazon's software but still can't buy Kindle books. That's probably due to my non-US credit card.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:20 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very good news, in that case! But how do you buy books from the Kindle store without an account at that store? Can you explain the process of buying books, please?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #18
morituri
Enthusiast
morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air, Kindle PW2, Kindle HD
Just tested it again -- they wouldn't allow me to buy books due to "geographical restrictions". Samples / chapter previews do work, though.
morituri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:29 AM   #19
owl123
Addict

Install Amazon's app on your iPhone/iPod Touch and you'll be asked to register at their store. All you need to enter is email and password.

BTW. Non-US people can get ebook samples.

EDIT: If you have a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch you can upload mobipocket ebooks to the device. UnDRMed Mobipocket ebooks work fine with Amazon's app. No idea about DRMed ones though.

Last edited by owl123; 03-04-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:41 AM   #20
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
Install Amazon's app on your iPhone/iPod Touch and you'll be asked to register at their store. All you need to enter is email and password.

BTW. Non-US people can get ebook samples.

EDIT: If you have a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch you can upload mobipocket ebooks to the device. UnDRMed Mobipocket ebooks work fine with Amazon's app. No idea about DRMed ones though.
Hm. I guess you have to register a PID with Mobipocket first before being able to read DRMed Mobis. That won't be possible unless some Kindlefix or Patch work with the software.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morituri View Post
Just tested it again -- they wouldn't allow me to buy books due to "geographical restrictions". Samples / chapter previews do work, though.
That's what I thought would be the case - you cannot buy books unless you have a credit card with a US billing address.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 AM   #22
morituri
Enthusiast
morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air, Kindle PW2, Kindle HD
Ok, I've been playing around with this and discovered this : you need to have an account with Amazon that has a US address. You don't need a US credit card if you're paying from a Gift Certificate balance. This works, I just bought and successfully downloaded a Kindle book.
morituri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #23
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morituri View Post
Ok, I've been playing around with this and discovered this : you need to have an account with Amazon that has a US address. You don't need a US credit card if you're paying from a Gift Certificate balance. This works, I just bought and successfully downloaded a Kindle book.
That seems to be a viable route (at least for me) Thanks morituri.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #24
owl123
Addict

I know that you can transfer the Kindle book from jailbroken iPhone to your PC. But is it possible to remove/fix DRM so that I can read the ebook on my iRex DR?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I know that you can transfer the Kindle book from jailbroken iPhone to your PC. But is it possible to remove/fix DRM so that I can read the ebook on my iRex DR?
Technically it's possible, certainly - Kindle "AZW" files are just MobiPocket books. But obviously you need to check whether or not it's legal to do so in your country.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #26
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Google for mobidedrm and be advised that removing DRM may be highly illegal where you reside.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #27
owl123
Addict

Fortunately it is legal. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #28
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I suspect it will depend on the file format used for the ebook.
Topaz books (.tpz or .azw1 if I remember well) have not been liberated yet.
Masqueraded Mobipocket (.azw) could be liberated with MobiDeDRM.

I cannot guarantee what I say above, since I don't have a Kindle, but it's what I remember from discussions on MR.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #29
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Dear Mobilereaders,

A great move from Amazon, sadly I don't think I could read a book using my iPhone. (Once you try e-ink you can't go back to LCD)

But if you are so inclined you can bypass geolocation restrictions:

1- Buy a US redemption code (gift card)(eBay...)
Now maybe some fellow members could buy gift cards (it would always be more secure than eBay)
2-Make sure you're signed out of your non-US account
3- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select United States from the My Store pulldown.
4- Once the US store has loaded, click Redeem in the menu at the top right below the banner.
5- Paste the code in and click Redeem. You'll get a sign-in request, but click Create Account instead. Use a US address.
6- You'll have to agree to the iTS T&Cs first, then you'll be presented with a payment method screen. However, this time you'll see 'None' as a payment method. Leave that selected

7- Enjoy US content

This worked for me a while ago. Not sure if it still does.

Please report your experience.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
I suspect it will depend on the file format used for the ebook.
Topaz books (.tpz or .azw1 if I remember well) have not been liberated yet.
Masqueraded Mobipocket (.azw) could be liberated with MobiDeDRM.

I cannot guarantee what I say above, since I don't have a Kindle, but it's what I remember from discussions on MR.
That's correct - Topaz books can't be converted, but they are (relatively) uncommon.

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle