Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 06-01-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Syaka
Syaka began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770
Librie owners, a few questions

I have a few questions for Librie owners...

I had been saving up and planning to buy an Iliad. I was extremely frustrated by the delays and finally with the news yesterday, I decided to give up on Irex. Since the latest rumours are that the Sony Reader won't be on sale until August /September, I'm very seriously considering buying a Librie (with the English conversion).

If anyone here owns one, I'd be very interested to get your opinions on how easy it is to use, to upload books (I have about 2,000 ebooks, mostly in text and PDF formats, or formats I can easily convert to txt), how well it paginates txt files, and if there are any issues with the firmware being hacked to English. Is it easy to resize the fonts to fit more text in the display?

Also, I know the Librie uses Memorystick media. Up until a couple of years ago, memorysticks were limited to 128 mb. Does the Librie use the newer Memory Sticks that can go to 4 gb?

Any help is most appreciated. I want e-ink now!!!

Last edited by Syaka; 06-01-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Syaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaka
easy it is to use
Once you have the ebooks on the device, just boot it up, select the ebook, open it and read on

Quote:
to upload books
This might get a little trickier, but if you have the lrf files, just use the Librie software (there is a translation to english), and copy from the PC to the Device. I never used a card so i don't know if there is any dificulty with it

Quote:
I have about 2,000 ebooks, mostly in text and PDF formats, or formats I can easily convert to txt
I would say the easiest method would be to "print" the texts to Lrf files.

The librie printer allows you to just paginate the texts in Word, and print to a LRF file. The only disavantage is that the page is static and you can't change the text size.

Quote:
..any issues with the firmware being hacked to English. Is it easy to resize the fonts to fit more text in the display?
I have the Librie for some time and it never gave me any problem after i turned it to English.

If you want to change text size you will have to use librie toolbar (convert a webpage to lrf but big file size), Book Creator (the most complete program, requires windows language to be set to japanese to work), Book Designer (works OK, but can also be a little dificult).

Quote:
Also, I know the Librie uses Memorystick media. Up until a couple of years ago, memorysticks were limited to 128 mb. Does the Librie use the newer Memory Sticks that can go to 4 gb?
I read in the yahoo group of using 1 G cards, but it would be best if you looked there and asked around for any updates

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/librie/
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Syaka
Syaka began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770
Thanks! I will order today. I can't wait anymore to have an e-ink device....it's been my dream since I was a little kid and read about something similar in an Asimov story!
Syaka is offline   Reply With Quote