Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
a few questions from a PRS-300 noob

Hi.
I snagged a PRS-300 on clearance at Target yesterday for 75 bucks. Very happy with the purchase since I almost bought one at Best Buy for 120 a month or so ago.

From reading the boards I think I have a good idea of its abilities and limitations. I know not to load it too full of books or it will take forever to turn on. And to use Calibre instead of their library. But I have a few questions.

1) Have any 300 owners had the battery completely die on them yet? How long did it take to happen and is there any possibility of replacing the battery yourself? google yields nothing promising here.

2) I've seen that PSP chargers work. I want to make sure: my cell phone charger w/ mini USB will not work?

3) How is the official Sony case with light? They're available for 17 bucks on Amazon, but some reviews indicate it does not offer much protection. Any recommendations here? Improvising w cases for other things? I'd love to find just a cheap case for travel storage and fending off toddler foraging.

4) Roughly how many books can it hold before the initial scanning slowdown becomes a pain? I've got about 10 loaded up and it seems fine. I can't imagine I'd ever want more than 20 on there at a time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd finally decided to get a Kindle a day or two back when I saw this deal and I have no regrets going this way. I just want to read. I really like the machine so far. It's even handled PDFs much better than I would have guessed. And I really love the look and feel of the Sonys, but the new line was out of my price range. Happy to be cutting my teeth with this.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Hi soondai

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post

1) Have any 300 owners had the battery completely die on them yet? How long did it take to happen and is there any possibility of replacing the battery yourself? google yields nothing promising here.
I've had mine since the day it came out, use it every day and it's still going strong.

Quote:
2) I've seen that PSP chargers work. I want to make sure: my cell phone charger w/ mini USB will not work?
I have a USB charger that can take 2 USB cables that I got at Walmart for less than $20 bucks, so you can charge two devices at the same time. I got a PSP cable at Fry's, it has both a USB mini end and a power connection end on the same side and a regular USB connection at the other end. Plugging the USB mini connection into the reader makes the reader go into transfer mode, just like plugging it into a computer, although I think it should charge it though, but I haven't tried that. Using the power connector of this PSP cable charges the reader and also allows you to use it at the same time.

Quote:
3) How is the official Sony case with light? They're available for 17 bucks on Amazon, but some reviews indicate it does not offer much protection. Any recommendations here? Improvising w cases for other things? I'd love to find just a cheap case for travel storage and fending off toddler foraging.
I don't have a case for mine so I can't say. As for a light there was another user in these forums that mentioned a clip on light that they got at Target that sounded really good.

Quote:
4) Roughly how many books can it hold before the initial scanning slowdown becomes a pain? I've got about 10 loaded up and it seems fine. I can't imagine I'd ever want more than 20 on there at a time.
I've got over 200 on mine with no noticeable lag.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
1. I have my PRS-300 for about 3 weeks now, and the battery indicator still shows full bar ( well, it won't be a good assessment actually. I often plug it in to my computer to send ebook to it to check how it looks on it, and if I'm not satisfied I will edit them again)

2. I'm planning to buy PSP charger, but then I discovered that I still have one of my phillips discman lying around and it has charger which is works if you plug it in in the dc plug.

3. Can't really say, don't intend to buy lights, the prs's contrast is really fine that medium lighting will do.

4. Had about 300 books and speed is still acceptable. But then I went wild to send it some more until 589 books and it crashed until I have to format its memory.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini

That will not work. It will actually drain the battery. When you charge via USB on your computer you have to make sure it doesn't go into sleep mode or else it will drain the battery too.

I have an M-edge case with a zipper. It's ok but I do prefer it to the Sony cases. As for keeping it away from the toddler, you don't need a case. Move the reader to another room, higher ground, preferably somewhere that can be locked and out of the range and reach of the child. A case isn't going to stop a mischevious child determined to wreck something.

I have a few hundred on mine and it's getting slow. I'll just not put so many on it then. Not a big deal unless it crashes on me which hopefully I won't let it get to that point.

Where'd you find the reader for $75? I know you said Target but where are you located?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Culver City, CA. There are a couple Targets by me. They both had it for 104 for a while.... not quite low enough to make me jump. But I could not resist 75 bucks. I saw a post somewhere else on the boards mentioning that price too.

Thanks for the tip on the charger. I almost certainly would have let my computer snooze and siphon off the battery. I'll have to pick up a charger because the kiddo always loves to tug any cords hanging out the front of the computer.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
terriblue
terriblue began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2; Sony PRS 300
I bought an m edge case from their website today for $15--leather. I prefer the platform style, so that is what I got.
terriblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Hi.
I snagged a PRS-300 on clearance at Target yesterday for 75 bucks. Very happy with the purchase since I almost bought one at Best Buy for 120 a month or so ago.

From reading the boards I think I have a good idea of its abilities and limitations. I know not to load it too full of books or it will take forever to turn on. And to use Calibre instead of their library. But I have a few questions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd finally decided to get a Kindle a day or two back when I saw this deal and I have no regrets going this way. I just want to read. I really like the machine so far. It's even handled PDFs much better than I would have guessed. And I really love the look and feel of the Sonys, but the new line was out of my price range. Happy to be cutting my teeth with this.

1. I've Had mine since Sept. of last year and it's still going strong. I read a lot so I'd say it has a really good battery.

As far as changing the battery I just planned on opening it up once it died to see if I could change.

2. I charge mine with the psp charger

3. I love the case itself but don't use the light on it. It shines on it so that you have to play with it to get it right to see the screen properly and isn't the brightest either. I do like how it feels in my hands when reading. I'm planning on getting the case witout the light for my new one.

4. roghly 300 like someone else said.

The sony libray isn't bad and use it for buying books on sony.

It's a great reader and I will be gifting mine to my sister since I upgraded to the newer version.

congrats on the new reader you will enjoy it!
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote