Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't seem to have had any trouble with this, myself. A fair number of my books have used "oe", "ae", etc, ligatures, and they've all come out just fine in BD. I always use it with the language set to German.

Mind you, I generally paste content into BD rather than "load" it. I wonder if that bypasses the issue?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #62
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't seem to have had any trouble with this, myself. A fair number of my books have used "oe", "ae", etc, ligatures, and they've all come out just fine in BD. I always use it with the language set to German.

Mind you, I generally paste content into BD rather than "load" it. I wonder if that bypasses the issue?

I shall have to experiment with that, Harry. Thanks.

(It bypasses the Book Cleaner files completely, though.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #63
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quick question - I have used Book Designer for some years, mainly to create FB2 eBooks for my Acer n10 PDA (using Haali reader) and now my BeBook. I have followed the settings described here (e.g. German language, etc.) and most things work well - accented characters are recognised, em-dashes are retained, quotes are done correctly, etc.

I have noticed one problem that does not seem to have been raised yet - any source eBooks with the ampersand symbol "&" do not retain that symbol. Instead, it gets replaced with the string "amp;" Any ideas on how to address this problem?

I suspect this may be an FB2 issue, but you never know. Thanks.

orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #64
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
That is, to the best of my knowledge, a bug in the FB2 export module of Book Designer.

The way I work around this is to create the book as usual, then load the resulting FB2 file into VIM (or your editor of choice) and do a search&replace, being careful to add spaces around the & when needed (those get sometimes broken, too).
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've replaced version 1.6 with version 1.7. 1.6 I just noticed had a few mistakes in it and I've fixed those. Also, I've been able to remove a few lines so it will run faster to do the same thing.

Please update your Book Cleaner files to the 1.7 version. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #66
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've replaced version 1.6 with version 1.7. 1.6 I just noticed had a few mistakes in it and I've fixed those.
Could you tell us what those mistakes were?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Could you tell us what those mistakes were?
When you have the caliber of a gun, it got the period incorrect.

Without using Book Cleaner to fix things like that, your .44 magnum ends up as a 44 magnum. This is how BD does it without using Book Cleaner at all.

What I've optimized is replacing the period on load to something else and then back after load. That works. There were a few other lines that fixed things because of the period. But since the period is being changed before BD gets to mess with it, it's ok once the file is fully loaded.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #68
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Hey JSwolf,

Book Designer usually keeps the section breaks in chapters(usually a double line break, authors use them to indicate a pasage of time, or the change of perpective, etc, etc). which in most books are just a double Return, is there anyway to have Book Cleaner make them do "*****" instead of just a Empty line? of can you think of another way to do it.

For the books i do, I have to Manually change all the section breaks to "*****" by using the element browser set to Empty Line, and User tag/text in the Stars, Very Manual and takes be over a half hour for some books, BD adds Epmty Lines before and after titles too which is why i cant just to it all.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #69
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
- please ignore this post.

Thank you.

Last edited by Sparrow; 02-23-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #70
Santa Fe Painter
Santa Fe Painter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle2
Images lost when using Book Cleaner files v1.7

I am importing .rtf files with images into BD. When I install the Book Cleaner files v1.7, the em dashes are correctly retained, but my images are not included.

Any ideas what I might being doing incorrectly?
Santa Fe Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #71
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Thanks for the files at the start of this thread.

I was using the old ones that come with the update zip posted with Book Designer 4 in another thread and it was replacing some question-marks with dashes. I didn't realise it until I'd created about 20 books, all without question marks.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #72
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Is there any reason why BookCleaner wouldn't create em dashes when importing and reformating a LIT file? It works fine when importing and formatting other RTF files but I converted this LIT file to RTF and it still doesn't work. It replaces the em dashes with a single dash.

The reason I ask is that many LIT files have spaces between paragraphs and the only reasonable way of removing them is by reformating the file when importing.

It seems the only way to convert this file to RTF with the em dashes is to remove the lines with Gutenmark or Textify and then import it without reformating.

I managed to get it reformated by replacing the em dashes in the RTF with -- which BookCleaner converted back into em dashes.

Last edited by corroonb; 08-12-2009 at 05:43 PM.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 AM   #73
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

are you sure you have the preload book cleaner files active?

1.bcf should change an emdash(uni151) to uni(137) and then 2 should change it back to an emdash
Old 08-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #74
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe Painter View Post
I am importing .rtf files with images into BD. When I install the Book Cleaner files v1.7, the em dashes are correctly retained, but my images are not included.

Any ideas what I might being doing incorrectly?
sometimes if the images have certain characters in it if you run a find replace (which is what book cleaner is) it can replace characters inside the link to the image file you need to edit the html to restore the links
Old 08-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #75
Scullion
Scullion is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505
Guillemets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I
In fact, Book Designer is very poor with French typography. It removes the spaces adjacent to many punctuation marks. Guillemets should have a space next to them. I now add a non-breaking space during the conversion.
Could you tell me how you do this, Patricia? Whenever I try to replace a space in the guillemets with a non-breaking space in MS Word it changes the guillemets to quotes for some infuriating reason and I can't prevent it nor recover it except through undo. I ended up removing the spaces altogether as the Sony reader often leaves them orphaned.
Scullion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookcleaner, bookdesigner