Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Won't be buying a Sony any time soon.

Sony Pictures Television recently screwed Wheel of Fortune contestant Renee Durette out of a chance to win, due to her Southern accent. An accent that is rather like my faded Georgia one. Shockingly, she deemphasized a terminal consonant! (A G as it were.) As a result, I wrote the following to Sony:

"Dear Sirs:

Your recent mistreatment of contestant Renee Durette was insulting and shameful. Ms. Durette has an accent similar to my own Georgia roots. To call it 'vernacular' is an insult. If my wife pronounced 'barn' with her broad New England 'a', would you also insult her by calling it vernacular. If you are too cheap to pay her the modest sum you owe her, may you choke on it. If your judge made an honest miscall, correct it.

I will seriously attempt to avoid doing business with any Sony company until this is resolved. Perhaps forever. It works for me. I haven't bought a Toshiba-branded product since one of their divisions committed treason by selling submarine technology to the Soviets."

Too bad, Sony makes nice e-readers, but principles are important.

Angrily,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Really? a silly game show? you need to get back in touch with reality lol.. and why are you posting this silly crap here?
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
Really? a silly game show? you need to get back in touch with reality lol.. and why are you posting this silly crap here?
yah i dont think this is important enough to get all worked up about
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
I haven't bought a Toshiba-branded product since one of their divisions committed treason by selling submarine technology to the Soviets."
Because soviets are evil incarnated...?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Because soviets are evil incarnated...?
Well, they WERE evil incarnate, those submarine plans didn't help them much.

I used to think that way about Toshiba, but I'm typing this on a Toshiba LT. What changed me? the realization that none of that stuff is done without the permission of the US Gov't. Official permission? maybe not. But de facto permission, fer sure.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Well, they WERE evil incarnate, those submarine plans didn't help them much.

I used to think that way about Toshiba, but I'm typing this on a Toshiba LT. What changed me? the realization that none of that stuff is done without the permission of the US Gov't. Official permission? maybe not. But de facto permission, fer sure.
Not correct:
a) The technology transferred was a Danish co., in concert with Toshiba selling software and hardware that allowed the Soviets to machine silent submarine props, similar to the best Western technology. The Commies did know how to design the props, they just couldn't manufacture them. It did advance Soviet submarine technology and make their subs much harder to track. They're now Russian subs, but they're still hard to track.
b) The thing that got them in trouble was bypassing COCOM review so government officials in Denmark and Japan (as well as the other COCOM signatories) could review the transfer. There were NO government officials involved. That was the crime.

WRT the game show. It is small beans compared to sub technology, but it still irritates me no end when unjust and prejudiced decisions aren't reviewed and reversed. Since other companies make competing products to Toshiba and Sony, I can boycott them with no loss to myself.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I might stop buying Sony myself I bought my dad a kobo mini for xmas there and when I was checking it out it had a better screen than my T1, it seemed faster, the design was pleasing, it was just a really nice little ereader.

It pretty much has all the functionality of the T1 and cost the same price I paid for just my Sony cover, I think Sonys probably lost the market.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Probably every company in the world has done something immoral that one could object to, if only one knew about it. Solution: go and live in a hole in the ground out in the back of beyond, where you will never ever have to buy anything ever again. Or you could just stop watching Wheel of Fortune.

Last edited by ShellShock; 12-26-2012 at 05:45 AM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
Sony Pictures Television recently screwed Wheel of Fortune contestant Renee Durette out of a chance to win [...]

Angrily,
Jack Tingle
So, which companies do you buy from? I bet one could dig up a bit of dirt on every single one of them.

Matt
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Probably every company in the world has done something immoral that one could object to, if only one knew about it. Solution: go and live in a hole in the ground out in the back of beyond, where you will never ever have to buy anything ever again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
So, which companies do you buy from? I bet one could dig up a bit of dirt on every single one of them.
That's your argument? If you can't address everything, don't address anything? Better to have no principles and stand for nothing?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post

Since other companies make competing products to Toshiba and Sony, I can boycott them with no loss to myself.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
There are plenty of reasons to boycott Sony, but this isn't one of them. This is a reason to boycott Wheel of Fortune, perhaps. But it's not a reason to boycott Sony, who didn't make the decision in the first place, and who are pretty far removed from the show. And of course the branch of Sony that makes e-readers is even distant from Sony Pictures TV.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Certainly here in the UK the suspect tax practices of many multinationals have been a focus of much attention. Especially when the Amazon big wig turned up at a parliamentary committee claiming he didn't know how much Amazon sold in the UK. Very amateurish. It has certainly made me more particular about were I spend my money. I think it is making a difference. Starbucks was very empty today when I walked paSt on my way to the local tax paying chain for my cappuccino
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That's your argument? If you can't address everything, don't address anything? Better to have no principles and stand for nothing?
You missed the bit where I said to stop watching Wheel of Fortune. That is the appropriate response in this case.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I fail to see how Sony or Wheel of Fortune did anything wrong. Prejudiced? Biased? lol Hardly. The show is based on words and pronunciation and enunciation are very important. If someone with an accent sees the word BARN yet vocalizes it with their accent so that it sounds like BURN how are they not wrong?

I fail to see how they were wrong. They lady didn't pronounce the word correctly therefore she was wrong. While it would be incredibly frustrating to the losing person, it still boils down to them saying the wrong word. It's not the first time this has happened. I would imagine she's seen the show & knows how important proper pronunciation is. I don't get it. She's in the wrong.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
No. My argument is to think before getting upset over nothing. It's a game show. Blaming a completely seperate division of Sony (the one that makes ereaders) for something that may or may not be wrong, strikes me as an overreaction.

Why not stop watching television altogether until the TV industry addresses this glaring injustice?

Get a little perspective. Nobody has harmed you; no injustice has been done. A game show is not a human right, it's a game show. You either play by their rules or you don't. If you don't like the rules, don't watch. It's that simple.

My argument in a nutshell: there are a lot of things to get angry about in this world. This isn't one of them. This is not a matter of principle. Or if it is, it's a principle not worth having.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote