Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #121
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The star rating at the PW page at Amazon is now up to a FULL FOUR STARS. Folks have learned to use high PW light levels and good ambient light to flush out all the supposed screen "defects."

Plus, they have also learned to just return real bad units for a full refund via the Order page and then buy a brand new one rather than call CS and get a reconditioned replacement.
It's actually at 3.8 stars.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #122
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
After returning my PW and also its replacement for a refund, I'm realizing that if I replace my iPad with an iPad Mini, I no longer have need for a lit Kindle for reading at night. I don't know if this has occurred to anyone else as an option, so just sharing.

In my case, the defects were the worst with high light levels, and it's advertised as being intended for reading without ambient light.
This may be a personal prefence, but I could never swap my iPad 3 for the mini. I need the larger screen size and better screen solution for everything I do on it. I do have a Nexus 7, but can't stand reading on LCD screens.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #123
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Here's the ratio of five star to one star Kindle eInk reviews -- data mostly collected yesterday:

Original Kindle - 8.27
Kindle 2nd Generation - 8.33
Kindle Keyboard - 14.5
Kindle (basic model) - 8.7
Kindle Touch - 5.1
Paperwhite - 4.0

Kindle Fire ratios are generally lower, but I don't think that's comparable because people are using tablets for different purposes.

A month or two after the touch came out, I pointed to the device's inferior review ratio, and was told that reviews improve over time. We'll see if maybe this is true for the Paperwhite.

Amazon does not break out 3G and WiFi scores separately for devices where they could be bought in either configuration.

My feeling is that the Kindle Keyboard 3G, especially with the luxury of the lighted case, is so good you can't much improve on it. And obviously the public agrees -- or someone is stuffing the ballot box, take your pick. I say the K3 is superior.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-02-2012 at 10:35 PM.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #124
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Here's the ratio of five star to one star Kindle eInk reviews -- data mostly collected yesterday.

My feeling is that the Kindle Keyboard 3G, especially with the luxury of the lighted case, is so good you can't much improve on it. And obviously the public agrees -- or someone is stuffing the ballot box, take your pick. I say the K3 is superior.
Glad I kept my Keyboard, then.

When I dropped off my defective units at a small, local UPS store, I asked if they see many of them being returned. He said a few every day. I can't believe that the customer service reps don't know about this problem, despite what they say.

Last edited by Michele; 11-03-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #125
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Glad I kept my Keyboard, then.

When I dropped off my defective units at a small, local UPS store, I asked if they see many of them being returned. He said a few every day. I can't believe that the customer service reps don't know about this problem, despite what they say.
They surely know about it, but I think they may have clear instructions on what to say and not say to customers.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #126
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Star ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Here's the ratio of five star to one star Kindle eInk reviews -- data mostly collected yesterday:

Original Kindle - 8.27
Kindle 2nd Generation - 8.33
Kindle Keyboard - 14.5
Kindle (basic model) - 8.7
Kindle Touch - 5.1
Paperwhite - 4.0

Kindle Fire ratios are generally lower, but I don't think that's comparable because people are using tablets for different purposes.
When new hardware and new software are introduced, there are lots of problems. It takes at least 6 months before the problems are ironed out. When I received my Kindle Keyboard WiFi 3rd Gen, it shorted out for THREE MONTHS. I even had it replaced in one week and the replacement had the same problem. It wasn't until 3 months later that it was discovered that the unlighted cover was shorting the unit. Once I sent that back for a refund and purchased a soft cover, the problem was resolved.

Thus, the PW and KFHD7-32 actually have low ratings NOW. Dividing the 5 star ratings by the one star ratings the PW has a rating of 4.02, the KFHD7 has a rating of 3.80 all compared to the KK NOW at 14.48.

Early adopters always will have this problem. If one wants to avoid these problems, always wait 6 months after hardware or software is introduced to buy it. Most high rated products have been out for at least 6 months.

However, some of us simply cannot wait and will be the real mass beta testers for the product.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #127
xendula
eBookworm

Sirmaru, I am usually an early adopter, and can't say that I have ever had any issues with any of the other devices I preordered: Nokia N700, Nokia Ngage, PSP, Wii, iPad 1, K4S, iPad3, Nexus 7.
New tech does not necessarily have to disappoint and need to be fixed. That's what QC is supposed to be for.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #128
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Sirmaru, I am usually an early adopter, and can't say that I have ever had any issues with any of the other devices I preordered: Nokia N700, Nokia Ngage, PSP, Wii, iPad 1, K4S, iPad3, Nexus 7.
New tech does not necessarily have to disappoint and need to be fixed. That's what QC is supposed to be for.
Consider yourself lucky. I remember the huge disaster with MS DOS 2.0. It paralyzed my office for months.

Finally MS DOS 2.1 came out and all the problems were gone.

By the way, look elsewhere on this Forum. Nexus 7 has been a total DISASTER from what I read elsewhere. See this link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=195677&page=3

As I remember the iPad 1 had multicolored screens for months just like the PW postings claim here.

I notice on the Amazon page for Quicken Home and Business 2013 just introduced a month ago show the one star ratings at 25 and the five star ratings at 6 per this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Home-B...owViewpoints=1

Thus, I'll be staying with the 2010 version. I've seen this problem in that product for several years now. My version works flawlessly after all its updates.

I remember the problems with my first DVR, a TIVO. I was one of its first purchasers and endured all kinds of flaws. Now, many years later the ATT Uverse Motorola DVR works flawlessly.

I consider myself very lucky to get a good PW and a good KFHD7-32. Lots of folks were not that lucky. We early adopters MUST accept that risk. Otherwise, one must wait awhile to buy these new technology units.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-06-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #129
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Nexus 7 isn't a total disaster. For a few more anecdotal accounts among technical types check http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...?f=9&t=1177328 . Build quality does seem to be iffy but the hardware is definitely worth more than its price.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #130
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
When I received my Kindle Keyboard WiFi 3rd Gen, it shorted out for THREE MONTHS. I even had it replaced in one week and the replacement had the same problem. It wasn't until 3 months later that it was discovered that the unlighted cover was shorting the unit. Once I sent that back for a refund and purchased a soft cover, the problem was resolved.
Your problem was with the unlighted cover, not with the Kindle Keyboard, and in fact, they did need to fix the unlighted cover. I don't see what this has to do with the Kindle Keyboard itself. If you have specific examples of widespread problems with the Kindle Keyboard itself at launch, then that would be different.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #131
sirmaru
Wizard

No clue at start

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
Your problem was with the unlighted cover, not with the Kindle Keyboard, and in fact, they did need to fix the unlighted cover. I don't see what this has to do with the Kindle Keyboard itself. If you have specific examples of widespread problems with the Kindle Keyboard itself at launch, then that would be different.
It took 3 months to figure out it was the unlighted cover. I had already exchanged my first KK in the first week.

The cause is irrelevant to the suffering.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #132
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
The random reboots were a big problem for some at launch and there was also the squeaky back panel. Many returned their kindle keyboards because the back panel was squeaking and they thought that the casing would come away. Many also returned their kindle because of the rebooting and freezing.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #133
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
The random reboots were a big problem for some at launch and there was also the squeaky back panel. Many returned their kindle keyboards because the back panel was squeaking and they thought that the casing would come away. Many also returned their kindle because of the rebooting and freezing.
There was also an issue with extremely slow page turns in some conditions.
http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...c,35798.0.html
http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...c,36443.0.html

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #134
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
The star rating at the PW page at Amazon is now up to a FULL FOUR STARS. Folks have learned to use high PW light levels and good ambient light to flush out all the supposed screen "defects."

Plus, they have also learned to just return real bad units for a full refund via the Order page and then buy a brand new one rather than call CS and get a reconditioned replacement.
I've used high light levels to compensate since I've owned the device, but it would be nice if I didn't have to. The only time the high level of light is even slightly annoying, though, is when I read in complete darkness, as when I read in bed or at night out in the gazebo.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #135
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Nexus 7 isn't a total disaster. For a few more anecdotal accounts among technical types check http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...?f=9&t=1177328 . Build quality does seem to be iffy but the hardware is definitely worth more than its price.
The Nexus 7 is the best, and favorite, device I have owned (since release) and I've owned many.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote