Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Google bookstore open for business

It's nice to have an ePub supported device.

I love choices
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Kitabi
Connoisseur
Kitabi is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
nope, not going for it. this is worse than DRM. google is not even giving you possession of your ebook file(s).
Kitabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitabi View Post
nope, not going for it. this is worse than DRM. google is not even giving you possession of your ebook file(s).
How so? Don't you have the option to use Adobe Digital Editions and transfer the book to a compatible device? Maybe I'm not understanding fully.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
I just tried it and there is an option to download the epub file to your computer. Click on read on device and scroll down the page.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Kitabi
Connoisseur

I was going by their announcement. My understanding is that they would allow you to read offline (through their Google Gears technology is my guess). However, that will not give you physical possession of the file.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Kitabi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I just tried it and there is an option to download the epub file to your computer. Click on read on device and scroll down the page.

Carol
Does that work for all titles or some of them? In case they are allowing ePub downloads, are the books DRM'd? If so, which flavor?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Does that work for all titles or some of them? In case they are allowing ePub downloads, are the books DRM'd? If so, which flavor?
Don't know. I just downloaded a free book to help someone in another thread figure out how. From some of the other posts in other threads it seams that some books are not downloadable. Also some are reporting that the books are actually scans. Will have to see what everyone reports back. I don't know if I will use Google when I get my Kindle.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
This looks like the same procedures used for the Adobe books I get for my Nook through the Library. BTW, to the post above. These are NOT Kindle compatible, and many, many of the Google free books have been scans for quite some time. They are also distributed through B&N as their free books.

Last edited by chas0039; 12-06-2010 at 05:31 PM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
I downloaded several of the free books from the Google bookstore and side loaded to the Nook with no problem. Most of them had the option to download in epub or pdf. The epub downloads look great on the Nook.

However, they could all be found as "Nookbooks" on the B&N website for free as well. It's great to have other options, but I didn't find anything very special with the Google bookstore. I see no reason to test out a DRM infected book as I can just as easily get them from B&N for the same price and know they can be disinfected.
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
However, they could all be found as "Nookbooks" on the B&N website for free as well. It's great to have other options, but I didn't find anything very special with the Google bookstore.
So far I've found several pay books on Google's store that aren't available at B&N. I'll definitely be keeping Google in mind as a place to shop for books, though obviously bn.com is more convenient. It should be remembered that every public domain Google books is available through bn.com already, that's been true since they opened the ebook store. The only thing "new" at Google ebooks is the paid content.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
I bought a book from Google Books last night (Jon Clinch's "Kings of the Earth"), downloaded the epub (Adobe DRM), and loaded it onto my Sony. Looks really good, actually.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I guess it's not available yet in Canada (the paid for books).
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
It depends on the title. I'm reading Karen Millers "The Prodigal Mage" and I'm interested in the sequel. It seems that not all of the books are downloadable. After looking at the product page from Google, here's what you see:

http://books.google.com/support/bin/...=1061545&hl=en

Here's the product page:
http://books.google.com/ebooks?id=Lp...store_bookcard
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote